U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I needed gloves first thing this morning and I STILL have bulbs to plant. Oh well I guess I'll do that the end of the week when the temps moderate a bit and the wind isn't blowing.
Why are you planting them just before winter begins in Maine . They will most likely die within the next couple weeks. Just today, my beautiful red roses got damaged by snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: CO
2,456 posts, read 2,439,044 times
Reputation: 5155
I've already had to use a couple of coats, a lightweight down one, and a heavier lined wool coat. Haven't had to break out the heavier down yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. We haven't really had any snow yet, just a dusting a couple of times.

As for planting the bulbs, as long as you can dig them into the ground (ground not frozen) they'll be fine. They need cold to get the root growth. However, the one doing the planting might need their winter coats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I've already had to use a couple of coats, a lightweight down one, and a heavier lined wool coat. Haven't had to break out the heavier down yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. We haven't really had any snow yet, just a dusting a couple of times.

As for planting the bulbs, as long as you can dig them into the ground (ground not frozen) they'll be fine. They need cold to get the root growth. However, the one doing the planting might need their winter coats!
The ground might not be frozen during the day, but with average lows around freezing in NJ (much lower in Maine), there is no way any plant can survive every night. My tomato plants have died out and basil was doing well till last week when it finally wilted to below freezing temperatures. Perhaps gardening indoors in a heated moist greenhouse would be a good idea. I have a steam room set up for my fragrant jasmine flowers to grow happily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,907 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Reputation: 57028
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Yep, back to the 50s by later this week ... time to break out the sandals
LOL we're breaking out our furry boots when it gets into the 50s!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
 
1,509 posts, read 2,058,650 times
Reputation: 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL we're breaking out our furry boots when it gets into the 50s!
I can relate. I use to do the same thing when I first moved to Iowa from southern California several years ago. The natives here would always laugh at me, and especially those from Minnesota. It took a long time to break me in and toughen me up, but now 50 is WARM (actually 30s-40s is pretty darn good too), but that's not to say I don't curse like crazy every winter for moving here

Last edited by ennaf; 11-12-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I can relate. I use to do the same thing when I first moved to Iowa from southern California several years ago. The natives here would always laugh at me, and especially those from Minnesota. It took a long time to break me in and toughen me up, but now 50 is WARM (actually 30s-40s is pretty darn good too), but that's not to say I don't curse like crazy every winter for moving here
Same thing here. When I arrived from Chennai India 3 years ago, I would wear hoodies in 65 F weather and get laughed at by locals. Now I don't wear hoodies till it dips below 50 F, but the difference is, I still get laughed at by the locals for saying its chilly.

Jersey people are too cold hardy for me to understand, especially the cheer leading squad wearing tank tops and track pants on a 30 F morning. 50 F is sweatshirt weather in my books and that's unlikely to change no matter where I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Harbor Springs, Michigan
2,277 posts, read 2,482,545 times
Reputation: 4520
I still need to get my sweaters out of storage as its beginning to get too chilly for long sleeve t's and vests. I did look out some of our hats, gloves and scarves however I seem to be missing a few, with the move and the renovations we have stuff stored everywhere so it looks like time to start going through boxes one by one ... ugh organising !

Oh and driving last week with boots on was interesting, my feet take a while to get used being enclosed after a summer in sandals and flip flops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Here
2,581 posts, read 5,475,678 times
Reputation: 2568
Sweater weather for the win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,907 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Reputation: 57028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I still need to get my sweaters out of storage as its beginning to get too chilly for long sleeve t's and vests. I did look out some of our hats, gloves and scarves however I seem to be missing a few, with the move and the renovations we have stuff stored everywhere so it looks like time to start going through boxes one by one ... ugh organising !

Oh and driving last week with boots on was interesting, my feet take a while to get used being enclosed after a summer in sandals and flip flops
True - I do hate to enclose the toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312
Do any of you want to post pics of what you wear for winter. I would be interested to know.

For me, its just another wool covered coat. I really love woolen clothing for cold weather .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top