U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... no painfully cold here. That would be below zero, which we are not.
You never feel cold. I would be a Popsicle where you live.

I cant wait to move down to Texas, where one can go jacket free in December. They also have lot of aerospace and engineering job opportunities down there. I also love the football culture. Best of all worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Same thing here. When I arrived from Chennai India 3 years ago, I would wear hoodies in 65 F weather and get laughed at by locals. Now I don't wear hoodies till it dips below 50 F, but the difference is, I still get laughed at by the locals for saying its chilly.

Jersey people are too cold hardy for me to understand, especially the cheer leading squad wearing tank tops and track pants on a 30 F morning. 50 F is sweatshirt weather in my books and that's unlikely to change no matter where I go.
I used to be one who would laugh. Then I lost 63 pounds and now realize just how useful that extra fat was in the winter. No matter, I now enjoy all the cute winter clothes I can fit into and am having fun with layering.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
I LOVE this chilly fall weather!

My boyfriend, however, hates it and has turned into Mr. GrumpyCat

I haven't had to break out the heavy parka yet here in Boston, and am perfectly comfortable with my wool socks/boots, leggings and dresses with sweaters and my cotton peacoat. I may start swapping out my wardrobe this weekend though... don't think I'm gonna need my flip flops and summer dresses for a while.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
You never feel cold. I would be a Popsicle where you live.

I cant wait to move down to Texas, where one can go jacket free in December. They also have lot of aerospace and engineering job opportunities down there. I also love the football culture. Best of all worlds.
I don't know what it's like in NJ or PA, but the real problem is the wind. If there is no wind, I actually find myself enjoying the cold air.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,104,740 times
I always try to chase the winter blahs with brightly colored new scarves, hats, gloves, etc. My winter coats from past years will do again just fine. They are wool and oh so warm. Today's high temperature was about thirty-three degrees here in the heart of PA. It is O-fficially time to stash the summer frocks and get out the woolies.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
The ground might not be frozen during the day, but with average lows around freezing in NJ (much lower in Maine), there is no way any plant can survive every night. My tomato plants have died out and basil was doing well till last week when it finally wilted to below freezing temperatures. Perhaps gardening indoors in a heated moist greenhouse would be a good idea. I have a steam room set up for my fragrant jasmine flowers to grow happily.
The poster wasn't talking about a plant though, they were talking about bulbs. A lot of bulbs are planted in late fall because they won't come up for a few months. The cold doesn't hurt them. Like Tulip bulbs are planted in the fall. You just want to make sure you plant them before the ground gets too hard, but not early enough that they sprout and get killed off by early spring frost.

How to plant bulbs this fall for spring and summer flowers - Detroit Gardening | Examiner.com

Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The poster wasn't talking about a plant though, they were talking about bulbs. A lot of bulbs are planted in late fall because they won't come up for a few months. The cold doesn't hurt them. Like Tulip bulbs are planted in the fall. You just want to make sure you plant them before the ground gets too hard, but not early enough that they sprout and get killed off by early spring frost.

How to plant bulbs this fall for spring and summer flowers - Detroit Gardening | Examiner.com
Sorry for my misunderstanding .

I usually buy veggie plants and perennial roses from a nearby nursery and place them in my soil. Tropical flowering plants from the same nursery are placed in pots and brought indoors after mid October. The variety of jasmine I own is very sensitive to cold (Just like me). However, it produces beautiful and very fragrant flowers providing a fresh natural aroma around the house. They are also sacred flowers and are offered to Hindu gods during festivals, and some of these festivals occur during winter.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I don't know what it's like in NJ or PA, but the real problem is the wind. If there is no wind, I actually find myself enjoying the cold air.
Very rare on the banks of the Raritan. Usually, there is quite a bit of wind where I work in the winter, and it makes cold temps even colder. I agree that less wind would be helpful.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
You never feel cold.
Not true!
I feel cold when it IS cold.
35 - 45 degrees is not cold.... just chilly.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not true!
I feel cold when it IS cold.
35 - 45 degrees is not cold.... just chilly.
Its not just me who thinks its cold. My friends from college were complaining just like me on how cold it was today. We were limited to a high of 37 F today. My buddy called me a "brave man" for walking 1 mile in full winter gear when it was 35 F to reach my assigned parking garage. New yorkers are usually a sensitive bunch when it comes to handling adverse weather conditions and love to complain constantly about the cold, heat, or rain. I hope you are aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty