U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,846,316 times

Advertisements

It seems like there is a ever shifting obsession among teen girls every couple of years about what body shape is "in." When I was in middle and high school the craze among us girls was just to be thin. The trend has shifted over the years on wanting to be big busted to not having a flat behind. Now it seems that the latest trend among some teen girls is much more specific and scary: the combination of a thigh gap (being able to stand straight up with your feet touching without having your inner thighs touch) in combination with protruding collar and hip bones. Where do these "beauty" trends originate and why do they shift so drastically every couple of years? To me you have to be very skinny and have small bone structure to accomplish this look and it just seems beyond unreasonable for most girls to think that they can remain healthy and achieve this "goal."
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 22,161,261 times
kids need better role models,,,

the greyhound thin-gaunt look i see on some of these runway models is disgusting,
they need to eat some cheeseburgers and ice cream, stop obsessing and starving themselves- its ridicilous.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 AM

91 posts, read 179,680 times
Collars bones are natural IMO. And you actually have to have a bigger frame (wider hips) to have a thigh gap. I used to have on in hs. Then I got older :/. I could still achieve it if I exercise and ate healthier.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
"heroin thin" looks scary to me. Anorexia is bad, a girl I went to h.s. with had that. It was a mental illness and very scary for her parents.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
I have protruding hip bones, but I carry belly fat in the front and up higher (weird, like a dude or something) but you don't really see my collar bones. Still, it all sounds gross to me, like why would you want to look like a bony skeleton? I don't know where these trends come from. Teens come up with some weird things. Who knows.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times
The problem with these "trends" as they are entirely dependent on your bone structure. Narrow hips? Too bad, you aren't having a thigh gap. Do you store your weight on your hips? Well you aren't going to have visible hip bones. Are you an apple who stores weight in your upper body? Guess what, no visible collar bone for you!

I'd rather see people focus on things that are measurable and achievable. The problem with these appearance type goals, is that they may be an impossible target. There are far more realistic goals that are entirely in your control. Like your body fat percentage perhaps. Or making improvements in strength or endurance.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
In my opinion there isn't a thing wrong with a thigh gap. For too long,the emphasis was on nig boobs and no hips and butt.

Hips are natural. There is no need to be ashamed of big hips.

As for the collarbone,I'm obese but I can visibly see them.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 AM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
In my opinion there isn't a thing wrong with a thigh gap. For too long,the emphasis was on nig boobs and no hips and butt.

Hips are natural. There is no need to be ashamed of big hips.
But the thigh gap isn't really about having big hips, it's about being able to see daylight between your thighs when you're standing with your legs together.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the thigh gap isn't really about having big hips, it's about being able to see daylight between your thighs when you're standing with your legs together.
I have wide hips and never had a thigh gap, even when I was clinically underweight.

I think that a big part of why it can become dangerous is that some girls/women CANNOT have these attributes and they'll try to starve themselves to get them.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It seems like there is a ever shifting obsession among teen girls every couple of years about what body shape is "in." When I was in middle and high school the craze among us girls was just to be thin. The trend has shifted over the years on wanting to be big busted to not having a flat behind. Now it seems that the latest trend among some teen girls is much more specific and scary: the combination of a thigh gap (being able to stand straight up with your feet touching without having your inner thighs touch) in combination with protruding collar and hip bones. Where do these "beauty" trends originate and why do they shift so drastically every couple of years? To me you have to be very skinny and have small bone structure to accomplish this look and it just seems beyond unreasonable for most girls to think that they can remain healthy and achieve this "goal."

You have to be pretty darn fat not to see your collar bones. Thats normal, not unnatural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or