U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,225,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I rarely go as high as $150. I try not to spend more than $100 at most.
That's not so bad. How did you develop your great affinity for Nikes?

I'll tell you my story with Pumas. When I first discovered the wonderful world of nicer sneakers, it was in the mid-1970s when I was 12. At the time, there were three tiers of sneakers -- really cheap no-name sneakers we called "skippies," respectable and economical canvas sneakers like Pro-Keds and Converse (though by that time, Converse was considered passť) and then higher end sneakers, which consisted of Adidas and Pumas.

My first pair of nicer sneakers was a pair of blue Adidas. But then Pumas caught my eye. In my area at least, during that period of the mid and late 1970s, it seemed that about 75% of young males wore Pumas. They had a market penetration that is almost unimaginable today, with the huge proliferation of brands and models.

Puma offered basically one model with two variations. The Basket was a leather shoe, available only in white with a black stripe. The Clyde was a suede shoe, available as far as I can remember in 3 colors -- blue, red and green, all with a white stripe. The Clyde and Basket were essentially the same shoe.

Back then, there was of course no internet to allow customers to order a multitude of styles and colors from huge, centralized warehouses, and large sneaker stores like Foot Locker didn't yet exist. So we had to buy our sneakers from a regular small shoe store with limited storage and display space, that never could have handled all the different styles and colors of today.

For about the next 10 years, I wore one pair of Pumas after another, switching between the Clyde and the Basket. When I got the Clyde, I usually got blue. When I was in high school, Pumas were a huge status symbol, and were considered the "cool kid" sneaker, despite the fact that a pretty high percentage of the guys wore them. Puma had achieved the marketing sweet spot of being both ubiquitous and elite. They were relatively expensive back then. I remember they cost around $35, which was a lot more in constant dollars than they cost today.

By the early 1980s, Nike was beginning to eclipse Puma. Puma tried to compete by offering a slightly more expansive range of models and colors, but by the mid-1980s, Puma was pretty much passť and became hard to find. I moved on to the other brands that came into vogue at the time, mainly Nike, Reebok and New Balance, but I never loved them the way I loved my old Pumas. Puma was out of life for about 25 years, and largely forgotten.

One day in the summer of 2010, I was on the train (I commute by train to work) and I saw a dude around my age, maybe 5-10 years younger, wearing a pair of blue suede Pumas. Right then and there, I fell back in love with those shoes. I couldn't keep my eyes off his shoes, and I struck up a conversation with him about them. He said he'd had a few people he didn't know stop him to compliment his shoes. I had no idea how they'd stack up in terms of comfort against modern shoes. He told me they were very comfortable for walking, though he wouldn't run in them. Interestingly enough, he said he hadn't worn Pumas as a teen or young man, and that those were his first pair. He suggested I pick up a pair.

Shortly after, I was in Boston and came upon a Puma store on Newberry Street. On a whim, I went in and saw a pair of blue suede Pumas on display. I bought them right on the spot and found that I really liked them for walking extensively. They don't have the same level of cushioning as some newer model shoes, and I like the extra feel of the street that I get.

Like the guy from the train, I had people I didn't know stop me and compliment me on my Pumas. I wore them once to a doctor's appointment, and my doctor went nuts when he saw them. He said how he had worn them in high school when he was on the basketball team.

I have noticed that Adidas has revived some of their retro styles also, and I'd like to try a pair of them. My favorite is their white leather with black bars. At this rate, I'm going to have to set aside a spare closet to hold my sneaker collection.

Last edited by dazzleman; 12-03-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,005,759 times
Quote:
Good think you like Adidas and Puma because, yes, they're relatively inexpensive. Nike heads like me end up spending a grip. lol
Im a nike head with exception of adidas stan smiths. Im holding onto my pair until they are reissued next year, but will be miffed if the price is $100 when they sold an exclusive batch at barneys over the fall.

I have jcrew nike waffles for summer, and break out john mcenroe air trainer 1's on occasion

To round it off, i have a pair of adidas boston and saucony kinvara's for running.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM

632 posts, read 722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's not so bad. How did you develop your great affinity for Nikes?
I guess it came from playing tennis and wearing air tech challenges, air oscillates, etc. I still think Nike makes the best shoes for tennis, even though what's out today isn't as good as the stuff in the 1990's and 2000's. I went through a phase where I was really into all white Air force 1's, and lately I've been really into air max 1's.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM

632 posts, read 722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Im a nike head with exception of adidas stan smiths. Im holding onto my pair until they are reissued next year, but will be miffed if the price is $100 when they sold an exclusive batch at barneys over the fall.

I have jcrew nike waffles for summer, and break out john mcenroe air trainer 1's on occasion

To round it off, i have a pair of adidas boston and saucony kinvara's for running.
I'd never seen those jcrew waffles before, but they're pretty cool. I feel you on the Stan Smith's though. I've never had a pair but I've always thought they were fresh. Rod Lavers are my favorite Adidas, white with blue trim...classic shoe!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,005,759 times
Quote:
I'd never seen those jcrew waffles before, but they're pretty cool. I feel you on the Stan Smith's though. I've never had a pair but I've always thought they were fresh. Rod Lavers are my favorite Adidas, white with blue trim...classic shoe!
I had a pair of Rod's before Stans. Didnt fit well on my feet which is a shame since its a great style. I noticed they stopped selling those in Zappos; i wonder if its going through a refresh similar to Stan?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,098,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wow, so many "girls" here. I'm a "man". I have one pair of New Balance 1011 (had to look at the shoes to see the model), one old pair of hiking boots for working in the yard, one pair of Bates ankle high work boots, and one pair of dress shoes for special occasions (funerals & wedding). I don't throw out "sneakers" if they get scuffed. I wear them until the cushioning or leather wears out, whichever comes first. I'm rough on my hiking boots and work boots. They're lucky to last a year. Only reason why I spent the money for this model of New Balance is quality, comfort, and made in USA. My dress shoes are cheap, like $25 Walmart cheap. I only wear them a few hours for special occasions then back in the box so why spend more? No one can tell at the wedding or funeral they're cheap Dr. Scholls Walmart shoes. Real men should have one pair of black leather dress shoes, one pair of brown leather dress shoes, one pair of boots/shoes for dirty work, comfortable walking shoes, and running shoes if they go jogging.
This is ridiculous and it's a good thing you aren't the arbiter of masculinity (or anything for that matter).

And FYI, we can tell the difference between your cheap Wal-Mart shoes and higher quality shoes.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,731,772 times
2. one for yard work and one for everything else.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM

322 posts, read 467,563 times
Like 8. 4 pairs of Jordans, 2 pairs of Nike SB's. A pair of the South Beach Lebron 9s. A pair of Deions.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,225,316 times

Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,583,507 times
My sneaker collection sucks to be honest. I only have 4 pairs .

One torn apart crappy one for mowing the lawn, another one for for wearing outside,and finally 2 new pairs I have never used and am unable to find because my mom hid them somewhere in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty