Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
You wish. It's spread around.
Agree. This type of culture is hardly limited to the US now but ...in all fairness, it DID start here. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
But as for average men, average men will struggle just as much or even more than fat or unattractive women.
Average in what? Looks?
Not true.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Even though you are going to hate me for what I am saying now - but if I would be an employer (and I am not) and I get applicants, I would rather hire a thin person as an obese person. I would think that if a person doesn't have discipline/willpower with him/herself, he/she probably doesn't have discipline at work or any other aspects in his/her life either. Plus he/she is probably moving slower = less work gets done.
Wow. I can't believe I just read this.

So tell us, what about the lazy bum who smokes cigarettes and has a high metabolic rate? Since you don't know anything about him, you'd probably hire him because he's thin?

A post like this is sort of proving the OP's point.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Huh??? Are you drunk? You want an Asian gold digger who wants you for your money and not for you?
It's a bit more complicated than this.

Often times, such "goodies" that seem external to the individual (Master's Degree, Mercedes, etc) are taken as an indicator of who that person actually is (intelligent, able, ambitious, interesting, etc); so the "Asian gold-digger" makes those connections in her head and yes, she wants that person for "him" - with everything that "him" brings.

That being said - a Mercedes can be very misleading because it is hardly a good indicator of intelligence. In fact, it is often the opposite.

It is sad that young people need to use such superficial maps nowadays just to figure out what partner is worth having.

People no longer recognize signs of virtue in others so they have to check all sorts of pathetic traits off of a list such as:
- Mercedes
- Hot
- PhD degree
- An attitude

etc.

I am not in the dating market myself but I shudder at the thought of my children getting into this kind of market some day. If only we could do it the Indian way - all arranged. ...

Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Wow. I can't believe I just read this.

So tell us, what about the lazy bum who smokes cigarettes and has a high metabolic rate? Since you don't know anything about him, you'd probably hire him because he's thin?

A post like this is sort of proving the OP's point.

On Thanksgiving, let's all be grateful that oh-eve is not an employer.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Often times, such "goodies" that seem external to the individual (Master's Degree, Mercedes, etc) are taken as an indicator of who that person actually is (intelligent, able, ambitious, interesting, etc); so the "Asian gold-digger" makes those connections in her head and yes, she wants that person for "him" - with everything that "him" brings.

That being said - a Mercedes can be very misleading because it is hardly a good indicator of intelligence. In fact, it is often the opposite.

It is sad that young people need to use such superficial maps nowadays just to figure out what partner is worth having.

People no longer recognize signs of virtue in others so they have to check all sorts of pathetic traits off of a list such as:
- Mercedes
- Hot
- PhD degree
- An attitude

etc.

I am not in the dating market myself but I shudder at the thought of my children getting into this kind of market some day. If only we could do it the Indian way - all arranged. ...

Living in NYC and meeting a lot of women like this has taken me out of the dating market by choice.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Living in NYC and meeting a lot of women like this has taken me out of the dating market by choice.
You mean, you gave up dating because women are superficial and they just expect you to make lots of money?

I can understand your frustration, I would be too - especially if I were a man with little earnings; but if you understand the fact that women's preferences are a reaction to the kind of world we live in today and which MEN have largely created, not women (wildly competitive, wildly unequal, "free" market capitalism - that is more like corporatism), then perhaps it would seem less harsh.
It is a vicious cycle though.

If I were you, I wouldn't give it up altogether. It is true NY has a lot of materialistic people in it (both men and women), but it is still NY that also has lots of intelligent people; and among all these smarties, it is impossible not to eventually find a woman of some character, who understands that SOME money is necessary today even to the most ardent hippy; but who wouldn't treat you strictly as a gateway to shopping for luxurious frivolities for the rest of her life.

After all, think about how materialistic MEN themselves have become when it comes to dating.
It is shocking to see how many guys demand "she should have a career of her own/she should be independent!!" - which is code for "bring money to the table". I know it from female relatives currently on the dating market.

Never mind that as soon as that egg becomes fertilized, a woman becomes anything BUT "independent".
The thing is most men can no longer be adequate providers by themselves so now they too have become materialistic.

Maybe that should allow them to sympathize with women and understand why they have traditionally expected decent providing abilities from a guy. Maybe because they were never able to provide much on their own, definitely not with toddlers wrapped around their ankles...?...
Now that guys are beaten hard by the current economy and most can no longer be good earners by themselves - maybe they will start questioning why they want women with "careers" and why they suddenly became "gold-diggers" too.

It's all about nuance - don't given up.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:

- Mercedes
- Hot
- PhD degree
- An attitude

etc.

If I would open a thread stating I only want to date a guy who drives a Mercedes and has money, you guys would destroy me in no time. But here it is suddenly okay to be a gold digger. Plus the stereotyping of Asians. Maaan, this double standard here is really something else.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You mean, you gave up dating because women are superficial and they just expect you to make lots of money?

I can understand your frustration, I would be too - especially if I were a man with little earnings; but if you understand the fact that women's preferences are a reaction to the kind of world we live in today and which MEN have largely created, not women (wildly competitive, wildly unequal, "free" market capitalism - that is more like corporatism), then perhaps it would seem less harsh.
It is a vicious cycle though.

If I were you, I wouldn't give it up altogether. It is true NY has a lot of materialistic people in it (both men and women), but it is still NY that also has lots of intelligent people; and among all these smarties, it is impossible not to eventually find a woman of some character, who understands that SOME money is necessary today even to the most ardent hippy; but who wouldn't treat you strictly as a gateway to shopping for luxurious frivolities for the rest of her life.

After all, think about how materialistic MEN themselves have become when it comes to dating.
It is shocking to see how many guys demand "she should have a career of her own/she should be independent!!" - which is code for "bring money to the table". I know it from female relatives currently on the dating market.

Never mind that as soon as that egg becomes fertilized, a woman becomes anything BUT "independent".
The thing is most men can no longer be adequate providers by themselves so now they too have become materialistic.

Maybe that should allow them to sympathize with women and understand why they have traditionally expected decent providing abilities from a guy. Maybe because they were never able to provide much on their own, definitely not with toddlers wrapped around their ankles...?...
Now that guys are beaten hard by the current economy and most can no longer be good earners by themselves - maybe they will start questioning why they want women with "careers" and why they suddenly became "gold-diggers" too.

It's all about nuance - don't given up.
I gave up because, for me, it's a waste of time. Tired of the headaches and money wasted for dates. I've been on more dates (meeting through online) where women gave me disapproving looks (you know, that 'Ewww' kind of look) upon meeting rather than a successful one. It's not easy meeting anyone offline either. I'm short, black (race is an important factor in NYC) and am a blue-collar worker. That's 3 strikes in the dating world around here.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
I gave up because, for me, it's a waste of time. Tired of the headaches and money wasted for dates. I've been on more dates (meeting through online) where women gave me disapproving looks (you know, that 'Ewww' kind of look) upon meeting rather than a successful one. It's not easy meeting anyone offline either. I'm short, black (race is an important factor in NYC) and am a blue-collar worker. That's 3 strikes in the dating world around here.

I only go for coffee on first dates - you can get away quicker if you have to and he doesn't think he wasted alot of money.

Second - if you put recent pics of yourself online, there shouldn't be any "Ewwws". Same with height - be honest, lying doesn't get you anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty