Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
You need to re read my post. I SAID THEY ARE CONSIDERED ATTRACTIVE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE FLAWS THAT SOCIETY WOULD DEEM UNATTRACTIVE. Poor facial symmetry and big noses are deemed unattractive by society but I was debunking that in my last post. If you had actually read what I posted you wouldn't be making a false assumption right now.
What I am saying, is that much of this is simply YOUR opinion and clearly YOUR obsession. WHAT part of society? I am saying that I know many, MANY people who consider your information to be false. You are saying that "society says" and I'm saying that myself and many others, do not judge people based on facial symmetry and nose size. It's what's inside, not the skin they're wearing.

I do appreciate your acknowledging that a person CAN be symmetrically imperfect and still look appealing. That's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Where on earth did you get the idea that people think ugliness is permanent?
There are multibillion dollar industries that market the opposite to sell their products.
Bingo. I was bewildered by that statement myself.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
A quote from the Velveteen Rabbit is needed here I believe.

“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”

Margery Williams The Velveteen Rabbit.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:28 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,to be fair,there is only so much one with an ugly face can do.

Makeup doesn't really make an ugly girl pretty. Even then,most people complain about makeup because they say it looks "fake".

Most homely kids grow ip to be homely adults.
What do you mean by homely ?
Really, really ugly or do you include plain and sub-plain looking people in that category ?
I can't reference a study but I've seen so many people who looked plain or slightly below that improve tremendously once they get to, say, college, that I don't think being a non pretty kid is much to worry about.

I was an ugly kid, imho.
I'm not a stunning looking man but I overall my features developed much more harmoniously than one
could have forecast I'm glad.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
What constitutes an ugly face is acne, oily or dry skin, poor trimmed hair, ingrown hairs, scaring, dirt, bad teeth that makes someone unattractiv etc...etc. things that can all be naturally changed with good hygiene, facial treatments, dental surgery and healthy eating. No cosmetic surgery is needed excluding dental work.

Faces that are asymmetrical still are usually found attractive despite what society says.

For some reason society says people with symmetrical faces are percieved as more attractive but alot of hollywood movie stars and celebrities who are known for their facial beauty have asymmetrical faces.

People with big noses are still perceived as attractive
Like Penelope cruz

Your facial bone structure, facial symmetry and nose has to be so off and deformed that you almost don't even look human to be truly unattractive.

I actually think thats what cosmetic surgery true purpose was originally. It was meant to repair people's face who had been in car accidents, or had some misfortune ruin their face to deformity.

Those celebrities have some pretty jacked up facial symmetry and noses but there still hot because they have maintained their appearance through natural means.

I'm curious about this one... I have some pretty major scarring due to several surgeries over the years and they've keloided pretty badly. Even doctors tell me there is nothing I can do about them...how do I go about 'naturally' making them go away?

I mean, I've tried a ton of treatments (including more surgery, steroid shots, homoepathic stuff etc.) and it's only gotten worse. So would you care to enlighten me?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:21 AM

368 posts, read 577,498 times
Quote:
Why do people have it in their minds that if someone is ugly then their stuck being ugly for the rest of their lives?

That misinformation is everywhere. It's all over forums, dating and relationship sites, movies, t.v shows and ads.

Unless you are physically deformed then your not ugly. Everyone has the potential to look good.

The difference is some people are naturally beautiful and do not have to do any work to maintain their beauty. Some women don't need makeup to make their skin glow, or some guys just have natural clear skin. That life. Some people are gifted musically, some at sports, some guys like myself are just naturally strong and we only need to be in the gym for like 10 minutes to gain muscle while other guys have to work harder.

My point is ugly people are not ugly. We just need to work harder to make ourselves look attractive.

I have bad skin. I get pimples easy, ingrown hairs, and facial scars. I have to stay on top of my face to make sure its clear.

If your overweight go to the gym.
Buck teeth go to the dentist.
Teeth are yellow, cutback on the candy, coffee, sip on some water and your get your teeth whiten.
If you had bad skin go get daily facials.
Being ugly is a choice.

You can even manipulate facial symmetry without cosmetic surgery. Teeth surgery, trimming eye brows, haircuts, makeup for women etc.
It cost money and time for some of us to be attractive. Thats the difference.

So instead of just washing your face with a bar soap and a used rag why don't you educate yourself on proper facial skin care. Use exfoliants and the right facial wash. Find your skin type. Floss your teeth. Get good lotion. Keep some chapstick/lipstick on you. Spray a little cologne, perfume that won't hurt. Put down the big mac and double cheeseburger sometimes and eat something good for you more often. Hit the gym more often.

I can't tell you how to unlock your inner beauty. Everyone is good looking in their own way but society is lying to you, me all of us. Ugliness isn't permenant
You have a weird definition of ugly lol, that stuff is just bad hygiene. The only way to truly fix ugliness is surgery.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
What constitutes an ugly face is acne, oily or dry skin, poor trimmed hair, ingrown hairs, scaring, dirt, bad teeth that makes someone unattractiv etc...etc. things that can all be naturally changed with good hygiene, facial treatments, dental surgery and healthy eating. No cosmetic surgery is needed excluding dental work.

Faces that are asymmetrical still are usually found attractive despite what society says.

For some reason society says people with symmetrical faces are percieved as more attractive but alot of hollywood movie stars and celebrities who are known for their facial beauty have asymmetrical faces.

People with big noses are still perceived as attractive
Like Penelope cruz

Your facial bone structure, facial symmetry and nose has to be so off and deformed that you almost don't even look human to be truly unattractive.

I actually think thats what cosmetic surgery true purpose was originally. It was meant to repair people's face who had been in car accidents, or had some misfortune ruin their face to deformity.

Those celebrities have some pretty jacked up facial symmetry and noses but there still hot because they have maintained their appearance through natural means.
I like the thread's main point, but I dislike the post. Some people might be attractive with noticeable asymmetry, but it usually lowers attractiveness. Also, poor symmetry usually goes with lousy voice quality, which in practice lowers real-world attractiveness.

With the exception of Lea Michele, the female noses above aren't that big, they just have prominent tips. Lea has that and more, and her side profile is wrecked by her nose. In the real world, people don't control the angles from which they are seen.

Long mid-face is probably the worst common trait that can hardly be improved surgically.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
You need to re read my post. I SAID THEY ARE CONSIDERED ATTRACTIVE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE FLAWS THAT SOCIETY WOULD DEEM UNATTRACTIVE. Poor facial symmetry and big noses are deemed unattractive by society
Princess Diana had a big nose. After she came into the royal family's resources, she was able to get expert make-up jobs to minimize it. No one ever said she was ugly.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Brits often have big noses, and the country isn't known for its beauty Thus is raised the issue of local standards.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Brits often have big noses, and the country isn't known for its beauty Thus is raised the issue of local standards.
I thought that was Jewish people. Another stereotype is good enough I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty