U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 AM
 
25,573 posts, read 23,766,561 times
Reputation: 44094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Hey there!

Just curious as to what to wear nowadays (as a woman) to a black-tie dinner? I haven't been to one since college (I'mm 35)...Not sure what to wear.

I'm not a high fashion gal and really more rockabilly or retro...Would one of those dresses be suitable? My formal wear is more punky actually

It's a one time deal and I'll probably never see these people again LOL...It's in January in San Diego

What to wear? Or, not to wear?

Gosh, I don't even own pumps! I wear ballet flats more in my retro daily look...

I don't want to be inappropriate LOL...help!

Thanks and hugs,
AB



Im gonna guess maybe an evening gown? Heck, Ive never gone to something 'that' formal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18557
Even today, you can't go wrong with the "little black dress" - IMO at least. Go for a simple black dress, with nice shoes and a few accessories... short is usually best, but actual length would depend on your body style. I'd personally go for something like this, if I were a bit skinnier : Macy*s - Women's - Suzi Chin Sleeveless V-Neckline Dress
If you wanted something with more color & length, this would look nice at a formal event: Macy*s - Women's - Calvin Klein V-Neck Mesh Dress With Criss-Cross Back

Right now, the dress trends are empire/baby-doll, "bubble" skirt, and big, bold (1970's) prints... I can pull off the empire, if it's cut a certain way, but you have to be a tall stick-figure for those bubble skirts!

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-27-2007 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Even today, you can't go wrong with the "little black dress" - IMO at least. Go for a simple black dress, with nice shoes and a few accessories... short is usually best, but actual length would depend on your body style. I'd personally go for something like this, if I were a bit skinnier : Macy*s - Women's - Suzi Chin Sleeveless V-Neckline Dress
If you wanted something with more color & length, this would look nice at a formal event: Macy*s - Women's - Calvin Klein V-Neck Mesh Dress With Criss-Cross Back

Right now, the dress trends are empire/baby-doll, "bubble" skirt, and big, bold (1970's) prints... I can pull off the empire, if it's cut a certain way, but you have to be a tall stick-figure for those bubble skirts!
Giz....lol....I agree.
If one is a bit uncertain or shy in the style department....a classic, straight line, no frills looking black dress will ALWAYS, ALWAYS work....no matter where, or what the occasion.
If one is a bit more sure in the fashion dept, and have fashion sense....they can go and venture out into bold colors, prints...whatever they chose.
I have a hot red number I can pull off very easy, and very well, but, somebody else would pass out wearing it.....LOL.....because it has a "strong presence" so to speak....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Giz....lol....I agree.
If one is a bit uncertain or shy in the style department....a classic, straight line, no frills looking black dress will ALWAYS, ALWAYS work....no matter where, or what the occasion.
If one is a bit more sure in the fashion dept, and have fashion sense....they can go and venture out into bold colors, prints...whatever they chose.
I have a hot red number I can pull off very easy, and very well, but, somebody else would pass out wearing it.....LOL.....because it has a "strong presence" so to speak....lol.
I'm a curvy redhead, so that would definitely be too much on me - LOL! I can't pull off anything too bold, or I take over the room, which is why I stick with classic black... either that or earth-tone colors, which are perfect for a fall wedding/event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM
 
Location: I'm not lost, I'm exploring!
3,402 posts, read 11,980,929 times
Reputation: 5714
Gizmo Gizmo! curvy redhead here too! *bounces up and down*

I settled on a spaghetti strapped floor length black dress for my "formal event". Here's hoping I'm not breaking any rules by wearing it to a winter function. It's simple, but it's really pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Gizmo Gizmo! curvy redhead here too! *bounces up and down*

I settled on a spaghetti strapped floor length black dress for my "formal event". Here's hoping I'm not breaking any rules by wearing it to a winter function. It's simple, but it's really pretty.
Yay for curvy redheads!

I think your dress sounds perfect, and don't worry about it being winter... strapless & spaghetti straps are always in these days, no matter what time of year it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 AM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Gizmo Gizmo! curvy redhead here too! *bounces up and down*

I settled on a spaghetti strapped floor length black dress for my "formal event". Here's hoping I'm not breaking any rules by wearing it to a winter function. It's simple, but it's really pretty.
Nope, you are not breaking any rules.....lol..because in a sense the "rules" have pretty much relaxed over the years (even that white after labor day thing left over from the.....what.....50's????)
Anyway...now it's time to look for a fur coat (FAUX one, PLEASE!!!!) to complement that diva style, and to make an entrance! ( a la JLo.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Working on relocating
800 posts, read 3,892,688 times
Reputation: 486
I love this thread Hee hee!

I hear ya on the sales people bit. I have only really had a few bad experiences with sales people at nicer stores. I also have worked retail myself and love working with the public. But, I guess I was also commenting on the industry as a whole--which is the subject for a different thread.

I had money to burn recently this past summer in Sonoma, CA. Not exactly known for fashion, but this cute little boutique called to me. I was not even greeted and not one person of the 3-4 sales people said anything to me, despite the fact I said 'hi' and smiled like 3-4 times (once to each of them). I was drawn in by the pretty skirts on the sale rack outside and well, the inside was merchandised so fun and creatively. I just didn't like the vibe in there, but I gave it another chance. I wanted to try something on, but no one would help me. That day I was wearing a very cute outfit too

Oh well...I went back to Detroit and bought some cute clothes in a town called Royal Oak by me The owner wanted to help me and she was kind. She even was nice saying she liked my punk t-shirt Hee hee!

On the other hand...In more punky stores or vintage stores, people always are friendly hands down and helpful too...to me. Maybe I just have this vibe about being scared of upscale stores and that affects the energy somehow...I'll just shift and believe and think that everyone everywhere is friendly and helpful to me--that should help--I'm a big believer in thoughts creating reality--I'll apply it to this high fashion fear of mine too!

I'm relieved that I don't have to go to a black tie dinner though--they changed it thankfully as I mentioned. But, I know I'll be well-equipped if I have to go to one in the future

Hugs and thanks for listening,
AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:15 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I had money to burn recently this past summer in Sonoma, CA. Not exactly known for fashion, but this cute little boutique called to me. I was not even greeted and not one person of the 3-4 sales people said anything to me, despite the fact I said 'hi' and smiled like 3-4 times (once to each of them). I was drawn in by the pretty skirts on the sale rack outside and well, the inside was merchandised so fun and creatively. I just didn't like the vibe in there, but I gave it another chance. I wanted to try something on, but no one would help me. That day I was wearing a very cute outfit too
Your boutique experience reminded me of that scene in Pretty Woman when she tries to go shopping by herself and gets ignored by the Beverly Hills Boutique. I don't know why shops like those are so snooty. Oh well, it's their loss too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Your boutique experience reminded me of that scene in Pretty Woman when she tries to go shopping by herself and gets ignored by the Beverly Hills Boutique. I don't know why shops like those are so snooty. Oh well, it's their loss too.
LOL - that's EXACTLY what I thought of too! I've had the same experience in fancy stores, since I look very casual... jeans & clogs are my usual attire, not to mention I'm heavily tattooed and pierced. But it's their loss in the end, since I've been known to spend a small fortune on good clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top