U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you usually Overdressed or Underdressed compared to those around you
Overdressed 23 65.71%
Underdressed 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,371,586 times

Advertisements

I totally misunderstood the question.
I thought it meant "dressed up" as in wearing "nice" clothing, not more, or warmer, clothing.
As I was born and raised in the northeast but now live in SoFla I dress in much less clothing than so many people here do.
I was stunned to see a woman in a ski jacket in Walmarts - it was 70 degrees out and I had shorts, a tank top and sandals!
Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,277,847 times
I do believe many misread the title, including myself, but upon reading further along, it was simple enough for me to understand and reply accordingly.

Last edited by TRosa; 11-29-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 02:30 PM

11,102 posts, read 6,606,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Posters can respond with respect to style or temperature. Both responses are perfectly OK.
But that doesn't really work with a poll. Someone might be over dressed when it comes to style, but then that might mean they are wearing nothing but a sleeveless dress when everyone around them is wearing jackets. The poll results are useless because you don't know how each individual person is answering the question.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,544,033 times
Deleted that confusing statement . I expect response with respect to temperature.

FYI, these aren't weather threads, because for hard core weather forum users like me, posting a weather thread entails a separate set of parameters supported by meteorological data and prediction models from reliable sources. Hence, I posted it on this forum.

Its a general clothing question asked because I discover that some people wear more layers and others wear less for a given temperature, nothing having to do with the details regarding how and why weather phenomenon occur.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:48 PM

11,102 posts, read 6,606,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Its a general question asked because I discover that some people wear more clothing and others wear less for a given temperature, nothing having to do with the details regarding how and why weather phenomenon occur.
Talking about the weather isn't just talking about why weather phenomenons occur... its also about talking about the temperature, which is really what most of your threads are about.

But if you really want to say that weather is about more then just the temperature, then wouldn't fashion be about more then just how many layers you have on? And wasn't that already a topic just a few days ago? Because really this thread is just asking again if people wear more or less layers then the average person during the cold winter months.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,544,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But if you really want to say that weather is about more then just the temperature, then wouldn't fashion be about more then just how many layers you have on? And wasn't that already a topic just a few days ago? Because really this thread is just asking again if people wear more or less layers then the average person during the cold winter months.
This thread does not specify only winter, its all season. Some people wear more clothes in spring, fall and sometimes during summer as well while others don't layer at all. You can also technically wear 1 heavy layer or many light layers when its balmy out and both would be overdressed.

I agree with what you say about my threads, and trust me more innovative threads related to more than just layers are on the way especially with the holiday season in action . But as a weather nerd who likes to dress up, the transition is a bit slow paced.

These are cross platform topics which don't belong in either forum, so some get posted here while others get posted under weather.

One last question, you seem to argue with me specifically on these type of threads. Care to tell me why .

Old 11-30-2013, 05:00 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,395,600 times
Yeah, so I'm another that answered based on style, not weather. Go figure!

If I were to answer on temperature, my answer would be neither, since I always dress in layers so that I'm flexible to whatever condition I find myself in.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM

811 posts, read 982,757 times
Dude, you start the most bizarre threads

When outside, I never compare myself to others and check if I am overdressed or underdressed. That's a sub-conscious sign of insecurity.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,059,538 times
Yeah, when I hear 'over dressed' or 'under-dressed' it refers to style or appropriateness for a given situation -- NOT wearing MORE or less clothing than someone else.

Clearly the original intent or meaning of the OP was poorly expressed. But it was clarified....AFTER everyone had already misunderstood the OP's ineptly phrased initial thread starter.

As for that topic...people who tend to 'feel cold' know who they are and usually wearing more layers. And if you know a person who's like tha, you know they'll always have a sweater nearby. I guess that's a noticeable difference sometimes. Sometimes I'll ask a friend of mine -- "Aren't you hot in that sweater?" (or jacket or whatever).

Personally, I wear short sleeves all year. Long sleeves make me feel 'itchy.' I've had co-workers aks me, "Aren't you cold with only short sleeves?" Just looking at me makes them feel chilly, I guess

Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM

26,894 posts, read 28,195,837 times
Here in the BayvArea it is nearly impossible to overdress. We have crazy temperature swings. Today the overnight low was about 48 or so. The high today is 72. When the sun goes down it will drop to 60. Then by 8pm it'll be in the 50s.

You need to dress for a couple of seasons in one day!

Summer isn't that different.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty