Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 22,963 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a question about fashion in Europe, particularly England. What is the fashion like there. I have some friends from Suffolk and they wear a lot of sweaters and jersey knits. They usually wear skirts though, so what kinds of pants are in style there, I have heard wide-legged trousers and skinny jeans, is this true? Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I can't speak for the rest of England, but in London fashion is... well... to be generous it's behind and mismatched.

There's such an attitude on that side of the ocean concerning fashion, but frankly I'm just not seeing it. It's odd because clothing costs so much and there are so many high end labels and fashion designers in London but... somehow it doesn't come together. It horribly does not come together.

I just don't understand English fashion. It's like, all the pieces are there, all the designers are there, the luxury market is there... And yet there's such a large population of wealthy people that should be fashionable but look terrible.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
coldwine,

The English, for the most part, dress horrible. Don't get me wrong, I love the English, but their outfits and their cooking has fallen way behind the rest of the Europe. I don't understand it, they are right there next to France. Are they not paying attention?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverglitter414 View Post
Hello all,
I have a question about fashion in Europe, particularly England. What is the fashion like there. I have some friends from Suffolk and they wear a lot of sweaters and jersey knits. They usually wear skirts though, so what kinds of pants are in style there, I have heard wide-legged trousers and skinny jeans, is this true? Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering!).
I lived in Yorkshire for years and fashion there was very frumpy for the most part.

As for how people dress...depends on your social status and your age, just like it does here. Young women out clubbing tend to wear very skimpy clothing, even in freezing weather...and they usually go out without coats.

Girls in their late teens/early 20s seemed to almost wear a uniform of ill-fitting, too-long hipster pants...often with horizontal pinstripes...and midriff-baring tight tops with cap sleeves or no sleeves at all...with puffy waistcoats in a light tan color with a faux fur-lined hood.

Wide-leg trousers didn't seem to be in fashion when I left earlier this year; the skinny jeans had a few takers but I saw more of them in the South than up North where I was.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
coldwine,

The English, for the most part, dress horrible. Don't get me wrong, I love the English, but their outfits and their cooking has fallen way behind the rest of the Europe.
I felt so guilty for trying to be polite about it but now that it's out... They do dress horribly. They dress terribly. It's like there's a national mindset that says "Hey, those plaid trousers will look great with this vertically-striped shirt!"

Quote:
I don't understand it, they are right there next to France. Are they not paying attention?
This is my new Quote of the Year. I think I might put it on my fridge.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I just don't understand English fashion. It's like, all the pieces are there, all the designers are there, the luxury market is there... And yet there's such a large population of wealthy people that should be fashionable but look terrible.
Well, all the money in the world can't buy you taste... but it can certainly buy you a personal shopper!

Everything works according to Murphy's laws in this world - champagne taste often goes hand in hand with beer budget and vice versa.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
I really can't speak for the English to much....but, they have a reputation even in Germany, for dressing very bland and plain, mousy.
Germany is not to bad.....and I noticed the different colors they wear, and use for interior decor.
Much like Italians....very sleek, very modern, very colorful!
Wish we had this happening here in the US as well, concerning interior designs....huh.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I really can't speak for the English to much....but, they have a reputation even in Germany, for dressing very bland and plain, mousy.
Germany is not to bad.....and I noticed the different colors they wear, and use for interior decor.
Much like Italians....very sleek, very modern, very colorful!
Wish we had this happening here in the US as well, concerning interior designs....huh.

You'd like my house - it's all done in reds and golds. Very colorful! I love it, but hubby (who is still stuck in the "beige and white" mindset) was leery at first. Now that he sees it, he's into color too!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You'd like my house - it's all done in reds and golds. Very colorful! I love it, but hubby (who is still stuck in the "beige and white" mindset) was leery at first. Now that he sees it, he's into color too!
I hear ya!
I was stuck in that "beige and white" thing a short period of time too....just to get shocked again, when I visited home (Germany), and was exposed to such colorful and neat designs, clothes, interior, fabric...etc.
Now, I got the guts to get right into the color, and got my husband right beside me.
He's at the point, where he will try ANY color on the wall, except it can't be to dark, and the color GREEN.....LOL.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,662 times

hey .i think it is the best part to ask u guys a "q".i'm doing fashion around the world. And i have a q.do American people’s get their fashion from European people or European people get their fashion from American people.I really need u to answer this "q".if u don't know the answer then don't post any thing from ur opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty