Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you (want to) cross-dress?
Yes 23 18.85%
No 99 81.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,238,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Hopefully this is an appropriate question here.

Anyway, as for me, I never got the chance to cross-dress yet. However, I would probably love to do this regardless of what my gender would be (I am currently a biological male, but I have been thinking about eventually getting a sex change, et cetera). Personally, I would probably find it fun to dress up and play the role of both genders at certain points in time.
I am less concerned with what clothing you decide to wear and more concerned about this statement. Transitioning is not a minor process. It's not something that will ever be done on a whim or discussed flippantly. If you're LGBTQ then please make sure you are:

a) taking care of your health (don't abuse drugs & alcohol) - there is a higher than average rate of incidence of drug/alcohol abuse among LGBTQ teens than the general population

b) taking care of yourself mentally and seeking out the council of professionals, it will help you as you form your identity. It will help you with questions and feelings that you're experiencing.

c) taking care of your safety - making sure that you are not engaging in risky behaviors or are putting yourself into situations that can cause you physical harm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,014,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I've seen men dressed as women who pull it off great and they really look feminine, and then others look really bad and horrifying. if you are going to do that, make sure you watch how you walk, talk, move your hands, expressing yourself, and make sure to shave your arms and chest and back hair, and legs, and also make sure you wear a fashionable dress rather than dowdy. You might need to wear 2 pairs of panty hose too, for real.
I've noticed a common mistake crossdresserrs make is that many of them opt for very skimpy fetishy type clothing. This is fine at home but I wouldn't recommend trying it outdoors. Modesty is the key (especially at first) as is making sure you are shaved and at least in good shape to pull it off. Oh and makeup, but don't overdo that either (start with foundation and work up). Observe what regular women wear and how they walk and move but don't overdo it. Also try to dress appropriately for your age. If you have bushy eyebrows, trim them or go and get them professionally threaded. Manicures and pedicures are awesome too and a must if your feet aren't in the best shape. Take care of your skin. Sorry for the long post but it's more than just putting on a dress.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,337,455 times
I think there's a double standard with regard to which clothing the genders wear.
Women are able to wear pants and such, it's taken for granted (nowadays).
Yet, men who may wish to wear clothing deemed "female" are given such grief & called rude names.

I'm female, and have no interest in wearing things like a tie with a shirt-but I do wear pants all the time, not skirts.
No, I don't wish to "cross-dress", but the definition of doing so seems to differ depending on which gender one is.
Women are given far more latitude and flexibility in what they wear than men are, which strikes me as unfair & hypocritical.

While I don't find skirts or dresses on men attractive, it is quite possible that I could get used to it
with repetition and over time-and I certainly hold no enmity against those who do so.
The drag-queen aesthetic is unappealing to me (esp. the make up)-
but I see no harm in it, so I wouldn't criticize someone for doing that.

I've read about people inflicting threats & violence upon those "non-conforming to their gender" (incl. children),
and that sort of bigotry and cruelty horrifies me. Live and let live, for goodness' sake !

Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

229 posts, read 387,262 times
I am a male in my very late 40's. Gravity has taken over and everything headed south. Not I nor anyone else would desire to see me in ladies clothing.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,248,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdYHVH View Post
No. It takes a real sick individual to do that.

You mean like Rudolf Giuiliani?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,704,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post

What I disagree is your choice of resting and fitting rooms. As long as your ID says you are a male, please, use mens side. Or accept if you one day become removed by security. Don't stamp women rights by using womens sides as a male (not about which clothes you wear).
If I go out looking like a real woman and passing I have no choice but to use the women's fitting room or bathroom or else I would out myself. Yeah, but I saw a woman's boobs hanging out of her bra in a fitting room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Wow, you must be pretty loaded. But how old are you, dude? You look like a middle aged Asian lady lol...
I'll be 45 in Jan 2014. I'm poor right now living on SSDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nice suit! Chanel or knock-off?
Chanel suits are overpriced and many have ugly styles only the rich would like. The suit is a St John I bought at 65% off Nordstrom Clearance. Bought for $790 from my unemployment checks back in 2009.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,886,138 times
I'm curious about why a man wants to wear women's clothing. Is it that they just fit you better or are more comfortable? Or that you think they look better? Is it a sexual fetish? What's the motivation?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,468,175 times
No, and I think female clothing on a man is unattractive, but I find overly-effeminate men to be unattractive in general (nothing against them though - just not appealing to me). Then again, if I saw a woman wearing male gangsta attire, I'd find it unattractive too.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,783,297 times
If that's what you want, go for it. Personally since I'm 6'4 and 230 pounds with a mustache and goatee, I don't think I'll be wearing women's clothing anytime soon. And, women wear a lot of stuff I just don't understand. Levis, a shirt, I'm good.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,754,033 times
No, never cross my mind that I want to wear female clothes.
However everybody is different. If that makes you happy, why not?

Personally I think being a female is harder. I am glad I am a man. Female has to deal with menstruation, sexist treatment by some male-pig chauvinists (including lower salary for the same amount of job), etc etc..and don't forget labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty