Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you (want to) cross-dress?
Yes 23 18.85%
No 99 81.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,763,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I hope you get some help. Really I do.
Just curious--would you be willing to tell trans-gender people that they "get some help"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,338,170 times
This topic seems to be veering into "psychology" territory...
I would recommend Andrew Solomon's book "Far From The Tree", which has an excellent and very affirming (diversity-embracing) chapter on transgender issues,
incl. stories of how families have been mistreated & bullied mercilessly due to their "non-conforming" child/children.
Quote:
“Scientists, psychologists, clergy, and academics argue about whether bodies should be altered to accommodate minds, or minds to accommodate bodies.”
Homophobia is hurtful and can be cruel-and that attitude often extends towards those who cross-dress (transvestites)
and those who feel that they are in the wrong body and wish to transition (transsexuals).

No one should be shunned, hounded and/or terrorized for such differences-
it's no easy thing to be open about one's true self in our society, what with the fear of reprisals
(from those who feel threatened by another person's "atypicality").

Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Thank you so much for your response here, cloven! I fully agree with what you just wrote here. Frankly, I think that cross-dressing can be a very nice and interesting thing to do and experience to have!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 PM

123 posts, read 226,837 times
http://****yeahbaileyjay.tumblr.com/image/42082187140

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM

10 posts, read 36,607 times
Another relevant book is "Alice in Genderland" written by a married but bisexual crossdresser and therapist.

Alice in Genderland

Seven Great Myths Among Us (MTFs) : Through the Looking Glass - Alice in Genderland

Alice is married but sexually active with a boyfriend, making the wife the most tolerant woman on earth....

Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,822,231 times
If you keep opening any more transgender/crossdress/sex change/born in wrong body/gay or not gay .... threads, you might get your own Section at CD.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,567,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Hopefully this is an appropriate question here.

Anyway, as for me, I never got the chance to cross-dress yet. However, I would probably love to do this regardless of what my gender would be (I am currently a biological male, but I have been thinking about eventually getting a sex change, et cetera). Personally, I would probably find it fun to dress up and play the role of both genders at certain points in time.
I'm a straight gal 50, mother of 3 married 32 years yes I wear my hubby clothing, boxers, dress shirts, bathrobe , sock lol..Cause they feel good..Always have, always will~...

Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you keep opening any more transgender/crossdress/sex change/born in wrong body/gay or not gay .... threads, you might get your own Section at CD.
Are you talking to me here?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,554,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Hopefully this is an appropriate question here.

Anyway, as for me, I never got the chance to cross-dress yet. However, I would probably love to do this regardless of what my gender would be (I am currently a biological male, but I have been thinking about eventually getting a sex change, et cetera). Personally, I would probably find it fun to dress up and play the role of both genders at certain points in time.
Okay, well, here's my take on the issue. My religious beliefs supposedly forbid it, but if I had no qualms of conscience about dressing up like a man and could do a good enough job to be "welcomed to the brotherhood," I would probably go for it, just because I've heard that men act completely differently around each other than they do around mixed company. I've heard that males also get to enjoy a sense of belonging with each other that women don't often get to enjoy in female or mixed company. Be part of the "brotherhood," and life will be easy for you. You'll have more access to jobs, training, and apprenticeships. You'll be able to get into male-dominated industries, like fashion design, without as much of a struggle as women have to put up. People won't care that much about your appearance, and it will be easier to find good clothes. Patriarchal societies won't intimidate you, and you could go to Arabia and enjoy all of the freedom you do here. Children will respect you just because you are male and remind them of a dad. People won't judge you for your loner disposition, and your opinions will actually be listened to and respected. Relationships will be less difficult, because you will get to do the approaching. Manners and etiquette are optional, and no one judges you for it. You can actually tell people how you feel, as long as you act tough or serious, without fear of being judged for not "taking it patiently." Being a guy sounds awesome. Of course, I've obviously never tried it, so I don't know for sure.

For that matter, there are also advantages to being a girl. Although it may not change the situation, you can express appropriate emotions without being judged harshly. You can dress up and look really fancy, if you can find the clothes, and nothing seems out of place. You can inquire about cooking, cleaning, sewing, or other domestic duties all day and people will think everything is normal. You can participate in sports and light outdoor work. Guys are sometimes impressed by your mere presence. Reading and language are easy, but math doesn't always make since because you work with it less on a daily basis. You can get guys to do things for you. The phrase, "like a girl" isn't typically used to insult you. You are sometimes seen in terms of your supposed weaknesses, but it's a chance to prove your strengths.

I guess they both have advantages....

Last edited by krmb; 07-18-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 03:35 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,658,456 times
See, this is why im so happy to be gender fluid; there's no cross dressing, its simply dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty