Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Wash clothes???? Send anything you want to keep longer than 3 months to the dry cleaners. The washing machine is only for underwear, t-shirts, socks, and towels.

I don't even send cashmere to the cleaners. I wash on gentle cycle in cold water with something like Woolite. For sweaters, you put them into a mesh bag so they don't get stretched out. Dry them spread out on a mesh sweater dryer.

I wash a lot of things in cold water using borax and washing soda with a little bit of Woolite and nothing has ever faded. The borax actually makes things brighter and new looking.

If something is really dirty like greasy jeans from working on the car or there are really germs that might need killing I do use hot water and add grated Fels Naptha soap to the washing soda and borax. It's no trouble and that Fels Naptha will get the grease out.

I separate according to color and often I will hang the clothing OUT in the sun to dry. When clothes are hung out to dry they seem cleaner and I think they are. You probably do have to purchase decent clothing to start with though--meaning non Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I have had issues with dye fading mostly when I've washed in hot water and/or not turned the item inside out. Cold water wash/turn item inside out/hang dry seems to preserve dark pigments best.

I have had seams let loose during washing/drying, and it seems that poor construction pretty much goes with the territory these days, no matter the price point. It's easy to say, "Oh, Target clothes disintegrate in the wash," but I've had shoddy construction issues with inexpensive items, and costly ones where one would expect higher quality, alike. I overall just look at most clothing as essentially disposable, unless it's handmade by someone with skill, and buy with the fact that subpar quality is nearly a given, so why spend that much?

Drycleaning your everyday, machine-washable attire is ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This is why I don't buy clothes at Target. They are programmed to self-destruct when you get them home. Sometimes, they can't wait and begin falling apart in the store.
Actually, haven't had this happen much. I have some Target sweaters that held up a lot better than pricy ones from banana republic.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:17 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
One day, I got a new pair of blue jeans at SuperTarget. After I brought it home, I immediately put it in the washer. Once the wash was done, I found the back pockets suddenly torn up.

From the dryer to the trash can. One wash.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,007 times
Not often. I used to shop at Old Navy, then I moved overseas for a few years. When I returned, the quality of clothing at that store has gone downhill bad so I don't go there. I don't buy at Target, Wal-Mart. Don't like the styles. I did buy a shirt on sale for $1.97, now it has some weird discoloring. Well, you get what you pay for, don't you? I figure it was a yardwork shirt anyway, right? I'm not going to wear a $30 shirt for yardwork anyway, so there ya go. Otherwise no, I don't have that problem by simply washing. I can't imagine sending all my shirts and pants to a drycleaner every week! Sheesh!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,217,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh please... I have jeans, pants, tops, and gym clothes more than 3 YEARS old (not 3 months!) that are machine washed.
Bed linens and table linens too.

It is not necessary - and way too expensive! - to send everything but "underwear, t-shirts, socks, and towels" to the dry cleaners. Not to mention inconvenient.
Not to mention that dry cleaning uses toxic chemicals.

I use those lingerie bags in the washing machine for anything that might be likely to fall apart.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

389 posts, read 692,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Has this happened to you before? Something that looks nice when you try it on in the store, and after not long, with only a few washes, all the nice color fades until it doesn't look like the thing you bought originally?
Yes, with cheap clothing. It also tends to pill quickly.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Clothing that gets ruined after a few washes in the washing machine. Has it happened to you?

Yes, clothes from a mail order house that had for decades never had anything but fine quality clothes. But this time the label said "Made in China."

Old 01-18-2014, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I wash most things with success. I don't use hot water except for some white towels and sometimes some kitchen linens. Hot water fades and shrinks. I don't get my clothes that dirty, really. I can use some Shout on collars and cuffs, if necessary, but mostly things get washed on warm with cold rinse and then are carefully monitored in the dryer. Delicate things are washed in cool with cool rinse.

I group similar colored clothes together. I also use color catchers in any wash where I worry about dye transferring to other clothes. And I am not afraid to block a sweater if I have to, instead of putting it in the dryer. Sometimes I let the sweater air dry and then finish it in the dryer.

I try not to buy too many really cheap garments. They can be a pain to launder. But washers have so many ways to control the cycles now. It is a lot easier to keep fragile garments nicer longer.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I wash most things with success. I don't use hot water except for some white towels and sometimes some kitchen linens. Hot water fades and shrinks. I don't get my clothes that dirty, really. I can use some Shout on collars and cuffs, if necessary, but mostly things get washed on warm with cold rinse and then are carefully monitored in the dryer. Delicate things are washed in cool with cool rinse.

I group similar colored clothes together. I also use color catchers in any wash where I worry about dye transferring to other clothes. And I am not afraid to block a sweater if I have to, instead of putting it in the dryer. Sometimes I let the sweater air dry and then finish it in the dryer.

I try not to buy too many really cheap garments. They can be a pain to launder. But washers have so many ways to control the cycles now. It is a lot easier to keep fragile garments nicer longer.
what are color catchers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty