Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The funny thing is, the hot young guys (I assume tall, well built, clean shaven, and muscular which all women rave for) are slowly starting to wear T-shirts without sleeves, and its not just in the gym. I frequently see it in lecture halls, dining rooms, and informal restaurants often with their GF. A number of these guys are cut and clean, not hairy and greasy like you mentioned.
Sorry, Adi, but based on other things you've said around this forum I don't think you really understand what young women such as myself and my friends "rave for" in men.

I have seen cute guys in sleeveless shirts, but sleeveless shirt =/= wife beater.

This, for example, is not a wife beater, but it's sleeveless and trendy: http://lototees.com/media/catalog/pr...ch-tee-500.jpg

Then there are the tanks that are cool to where at, say, the gym. And again, I can't stress enough that in both cases those types of shirts only work on guys who are toned and scultped or, if it's a very thin guy, lean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
It's only a slang saying that's been around for years, long before Cop's. And MEN who work in the trades in the summer and
wear them, do so for a reason, to keep the sweat down and remain as cool as they can be. The gym talk and some saying
anyone that wears one has a low mentality or sits in a chair all day has no concept of reality.
I call em wife beaters but don't take it literally..

It's really a pronouncement that you DON'T beat your wife. Like one can beat their wife with a T-shirt..No, that's done with their hands or a foreign object. Men that beat their wives i find repulsive, and the black eyes or bloodied faces scene is not
from a t-shirt..

I enjoy my tank-top's or wife beater, and also like my v neck white tees..

Just slang..It's the guys that don't call it that you should probably worry about...

Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I call it a wife beater or a muscle shirt. It's just a name. There are better things to moan about.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
It annoys me a lot when men who wear tanks are called "wife beaters".

So, if a guy prefers to wear a tank to bed in the summer for a comfortable night's sleep, he is or will be a wife beater . I do this 5 months a year around my house and do not want to be grouped as such. Which man in their right mind would beat their wife, and why is it associated with a common clothing material.

Its similar to grouping women who feel comfortable wearing short tight shorts and skimpy tops are "sluts". Why do we allow one's clothing preferences to define their attitude. Such stereotypes should not exist .

Please discuss your thoughts and feelings.

Spoiler
And in truth, "husband beaters" who wear tank tops exist as well , though there are very few.
The short answer is when the cops respond to a domestic call, MOST of the time, the abuser is wearing one of those tank tops. At least, that's the way it seems.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Sorry, Adi, but based on other things you've said around this forum I don't think you really understand what young women such as myself and my friends "rave for" in men.

I have seen cute guys in sleeveless shirts, but sleeveless shirt =/= wife beater.

This, for example, is not a wife beater, but it's sleeveless and trendy: http://lototees.com/media/catalog/pr...ch-tee-500.jpg

Then there are the tanks that are cool to where at, say, the gym. And again, I can't stress enough that in both cases those types of shirts only work on guys who are toned and scultped or, if it's a very thin guy, lean.
I don't get your first sentence . I never mentioned they were wearing "wife beaters". I said T-shirts without sleeves like the one you posted. Additionally, what do my previous posts on this thread have to do with expectations from young women (which in itself is variant).

And you basically said the same thing I had in mind. Muscular or toned guys look nice in tanks. For others like me, its a flat NO outside the house.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-06-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
I hated that show "Cops". Police are portrayed as very violent people on that show, while in reality they are actually nice people. In my town, such situations occasionally occur, but they are never dealt with in such a violent and boneheaded manner. Consequently, people don't act very violently as well and comply. I feel that some of their actions do in fact look like police brutality and use of excessive force. I live in a small jersey suburban town though. Things may be different in a big city hood.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you know many police officers if you think that the ones on COPS are more violent than the ones on the street. I come from a family full of police officers, and have many friends in the profession as well. Most of them laugh at the show, but not because it's unrealistic. They laugh because they realize that for every half-hour episode there's a cameraman sitting in a squad car for a week in order to get enough interesting footage to put on television.

In general, police officers are nice people. However, they are paid in part to deal with a segment of society which has zero respect for them or the laws that they are trying to enforce. They do occasionally have to get violent because of this, and it takes a certain personality to keep the violence confined to the job and away from "normal" life.

For the OP, it's just a nickname for a type of shirt. It has zero to do with who is wearing it at this point, but it is based on prejudices from half a century (or more) ago.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
I've known them as "wife beaters" for years now and it's always been a funny name. Heck even my 5 year old has a few that he wears and he calls them "wife beaters" as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Do cops themselves wear "wife beaters" at home or while working out. I wonder . I once met a cop working out in a tank very similar to what people call "wife beaters", and this is not a lie. I only realized he was a legitimate police officer in the locker room.

I now understand its just a trashy name for tanks, but still I hope there is no issue with men wearing tanks at home or to bed.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-07-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 12:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Do cops themselves wear "wife beaters" at home or while working out.
I don't see why not. I'm sure some wear undershirts, some wear wife beaters, while others don't wear anything underneath their clothes. They are normal people who wear clothes just like anyone else.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Another poster nailed it on the head.

From around the 1900's or so working men wore a sleeveless undershirt called a "singlet," or a single-piece "union suit" almost into the 1940's. It was the association with "working class" men and their perceived behavior towards women including their wives that gave "wife beater" t-shirts their name.

Apparently WASP or "gentlemen" didn't *ahem* correct their wives which was of course rubbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty