Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

So, bottom line is that its just a silly name for tanks men wear.

The thing is though, tanks I wear at home are more in line with an image posted by a previous member (without the graphic though), and she says they are not called "wife beaters".

So, is the term "wife beaters" limited to thin strapped sleeveless tanks for men. Where do you draw the fine line between a Wife beater and Sleeveless T-shirt (or) muscle tee from a guys perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
The term is being applied to the garment, not the wearer. Just as in, people may wear sneakers ... but no one is implying that they are sneaky. And slacks wearers aren't slackers. Women who wear "Daisy Dukes" ... we don't really think that they are Daisy Duke. People wearing "penguin suits" aren't thought to be penguins. And so on, and so on, ...

Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The term is being applied to the garment, not the wearer. Just as in, people may wear sneakers ... but no one is implying that they are sneaky. And slacks wearers aren't slackers. Women who wear "Daisy Dukes" ... we don't really think that they are Daisy Duke. People wearing "penguin suits" aren't thought to be penguins. And so on, and so on, ...
I know that now, I just want to understand if all sleeveless T shirts are termed "wife beaters" or only some.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
It annoys me a lot when men who wear tanks are called "wife beaters".

So, if a guy prefers to wear a tank to bed in the summer for a comfortable night's sleep, he is or will be a wife beater . I do this 5 months a year around my house and do not want to be grouped as such. Which man in their right mind would beat their wife, and why is it associated with a common clothing material.

Its similar to grouping women who feel comfortable wearing short tight shorts and skimpy tops are "sluts". Why do we allow one's clothing preferences to define their attitude. Such stereotypes should not exist .

Please discuss your thoughts and feelings.

Spoiler
And in truth, "husband beaters" who wear tank tops exist as well , though there are very few.
The men who wear them aren't called wife beaters (unless they are one), the actual tank itself is called a wife beater.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
I am rl wearing one right now. And I just beat my wife.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
I know that now, I just want to understand if all sleeveless T shirts are termed "wife beaters" or only some.
Wife beaters are white undershirt tank tops.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wife beaters are white undershirt tank tops.
Done deal . I never wear those undershirts raw anyways. Usually layer them under T shirts, shirts, or polos.

My clothes inside the house in summer are more like muscle tees made out of cotton than those tanks.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Remember James Caan, Sonny, in The Godfather he beat everything not just women and he liked his tank tops plus guidos seem to like them too.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
It annoys me a lot when men who wear tanks are called "wife beaters".

So, if a guy prefers to wear a tank to bed in the summer for a comfortable night's sleep, he is or will be a wife beater .
No.

A man will not transform into a wife-beater simply becaus ehe puts on a tank undershirt.
An adult male who beats his wife is a wife-beater, regardless of his clothing.

And an adult male who beats his wife is not a man.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"its pejorative nicknames, wife-beater or guinea tee (which come from cultural stereotypes of a former era when they were considered an underwear-only type of clothing and wearing one in public was alleged to connote low social class)."
I think that is only an undergarment. And when I see a guy out in public who wears one as his only shirt, it doesn't exactly convey the message that all of his custom tailored silk dress shirts are at the dry cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty