U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM

794 posts, read 1,349,803 times

Advertisements

What's the diffrence in quality for diffrent lines? I'm ordering a coat as gift and it seems so confusing. I don't want to make a bad choice. Any RL experts out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,465,112 times
I can't imagine that anyone would turn up her nose at a Ralph Lauren garment.

He does a department store line, and he does designer. Maybe he does other lines as well. The exact brand should be listed with the garment in question.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:28 AM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
well for mens clothing, Purple Label is considered the most exclusive with all their garments made by boutique houses in England, Italy or France. A PL suit can easily cost $5000 and up. A step down is Black Label, which is their standard luxury line and found at Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom's, so you come across their items on the sales rack regularly. In fact you'd be stupid to not wait for a 40% off sale since it happens so frequently. There's also "RRL" which is their heritage/vintage/Western workwear line that has a cult following, especially nowadays since that kind of Americana lumberjack/laborer look is very popular right now among 20-something's. And there was also their neo-prep Rugby line that they recently discontinued. It was like a cross between Jack Wills, J.Crew and Nautica but at a higher price point. Unfortunately, their target demographic of Millenial college grads got hit by the Great Recession and didn't have the $$$ to splurge on $300 pea coats while slaving away as barista's and Lyft drivers. Lastly, there's Polo RL and that's the generic stuff you find at Macy's, their outlets or TJ Maxx. Not terrible quality, but it's the same label that's given rise to the tacky Big Pony polo shirts if that tells you something.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks so much for explaining it. I'm ordering a woman's coat from RalphLauren.com and its a reasonably price Lauren label which is not available in Men's department so I have no idea about the quality or where it stands in hirearchy. I just want to make sure that its a decent label. Lauren label is also available on websites of Macy's, Bloomingsdale and Nordstrom etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
RLPL is Purple Label = Designer, high-end. It's an odd mixture of luxury classics and very, very fashion forward. A lot of it is stuff most people just would never wear, it's too out there. RLPL suits are all made to measure, no off the rack anymore. Runs to the stuffy for the classics. As I said, an odd mix.

RLBL is Black Label = Designer, modern. Slimmer cuts, more contemporary. Second only to RLPL is quality and price. Frequently on sale, don't buy it if its not.

RRL = Western-wear inspired. High quality but very distinct, it's either love it or hate it. It's the new Rugby for the new fad, but from what little I've seen it seems they did learn a few lessons and are better made.

PRL = Polo. You're most common line found in departments stores. Huge range in quality and price.

Rugby = Collegiate preppy. Lower quality than anything in the Polo line, tongue-in-cheek- play on the "trad" fad that swept the style world for a few years. It did well to capitalize on the fad and now has died off.

RLX = Performance-oriented. Generally good quality, it's clothing that's far too utilitarian to fit in any other line. Mostly synthetic active wear.

LRL = Lauren. Diffusion line made for outlet stores and low end department stores. No longer affiliated, just selling the naming rights for money.

Chaps = The older Lauren. Another diffusion line made for outlet stores and Macy's. No longer affiliated, just selling the naming rights for money. It mostly just goes by simply "Chaps" now. Most people don't even know it used to be a RL brand.

At least that's what it is for the men's line. I don't imagine women's is much different. I wouldn't place any value in LRL. If you like it for being a generic item of clothing, go ahead and get it.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Why do they carry Lauren at their website if label is on lease?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:11 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Might be different for the women's line. They haven't had LRL for men for years.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
RLPL is Purple Label = Designer, high-end. It's an odd mixture of luxury classics and very, very fashion forward. A lot of it is stuff most people just would never wear, it's too out there. RLPL suits are all made to measure, no off the rack anymore. Runs to the stuffy for the classics. As I said, an odd mix.

RLBL is Black Label = Designer, modern. Slimmer cuts, more contemporary. Second only to RLPL is quality and price. Frequently on sale, don't buy it if its not.

RRL = Western-wear inspired. High quality but very distinct, it's either love it or hate it. It's the new Rugby for the new fad, but from what little I've seen it seems they did learn a few lessons and are better made.

PRL = Polo. You're most common line found in departments stores. Huge range in quality and price.

Rugby = Collegiate preppy. Lower quality than anything in the Polo line, tongue-in-cheek- play on the "trad" fad that swept the style world for a few years. It did well to capitalize on the fad and now has died off.

RLX = Performance-oriented. Generally good quality, it's clothing that's far too utilitarian to fit in any other line. Mostly synthetic active wear.

LRL = Lauren. Diffusion line made for outlet stores and low end department stores. No longer affiliated, just selling the naming rights for money.

Chaps = The older Lauren. Another diffusion line made for outlet stores and Macy's. No longer affiliated, just selling the naming rights for money. It mostly just goes by simply "Chaps" now. Most people don't even know it used to be a RL brand.

At least that's what it is for the men's line. I don't imagine women's is much different. I wouldn't place any value in LRL. If you like it for being a generic item of clothing, go ahead and get it.
Kohls carries "Chaps" also

Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Perfect explanation of the different Ralph Lauren lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty