Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,847 times

Advertisements

Bowties have nothing to do with the South. Let's not hillbillize them, please

They are one of the finest accessories to come out of the European fashion scene post-renaissance, from the likes of Beau Brummel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post

They are one of the finest accessories to come out of the European fashion scene post-renaissance, from the likes of Beau Brummel.
I do hate to break it to you but it is a southern thing, it's all over down here. Granted I don't care for the look, but every redneck east of the Mississippi has em down here and for some reason thinks they are great. They look god awful, shame people can't dress a little more classy here and wear a nice suit and tie, instead they wear nerdy bowties in gay looking colors, pink bowties on men....seriously??. Bows in general should never be on a man, on a women they look nice, but men need to stick with a nice tie.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 PM

290 posts, read 366,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Now that I know they are popular enough for someone to get mad and start a thread about it on the internet, I think I will start.
Anything anyone under 30 currently does is sure to anger SOMEONE on this forum.

When I moved to NYC I met this guy who makes bespoke bowties. He started the business in Chicago and did so well that he moved out here. He's a mid-late 30s Black guy with dreadlocks and wears the ties himself so it seems this so-called trend is more popular than the OP would like it to be.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,847 times
Men are allowed to wear bowties.

There are certain rules:

1. It should not be in bright colours like pink, white, red or other pastel-lish colours
2. The colour should be extremely muted - dark burgundy, dark blue or magenta
3. Always have to be self-tied
4. No block stripes or plaid designs
5. Only polka dots, little circles, tiny floral patterns, tear drops, paisleys and rib-stripe allowed on the design
6. And absolutely no pocket square stuff at all, this is a huge faux-pas

The general rule is they they should not take the focus off your shirt. People should know that there is a bow tie but the shirt should still stand out and bowtie like an accessory on top. That is how you pull a bowtie off.

Only buy bowties from British/European designers - mine come from Thomas Pink, Turnbull & Asser, mostly, and I also get a few from a dedicated English bowtie maker called Dickie's bowties. Countess Mara makes good bowties too.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Bowties > Men's skinny jeans

Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
And lets not use stereotypes to define an entire region of the country. Southern gentlemen who wear bow ties are not hillbillies.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,010 times
Quote:

There are certain rules:

1. It should not be in bright colours like pink, white, red or other pastel-lish colours
3. Always have to be self-tied
4. No block stripes or plaid designs
5. Only polka dots, little circles, tiny floral patterns, tear drops, paisleys and rib-stripe allowed on the design
6. And absolutely no pocket square stuff at all, this is a huge faux-pas

The general rule is they they should not take the focus off your shirt. People should know that there is a bow tie but the shirt should still stand out and bowtie like an accessory on top. That is how you pull a bowtie off.

Only buy bowties from British/European designers - mine come from Thomas Pink, Turnbull & Asser, mostly, and I also get a few from a dedicated English bowtie maker called Dickie's bowties. Countess Mara makes good bowties too.
Great post. I'm guessing there are many men who will appreciate your bowtie lesson.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-09-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,129,632 times
fashion is 360 degrees. Things come and go and then they come back

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Bowties are somewhat fashonable among the legal set in Boston, too.

Skinny jeans are ridiculous. Men who wear them are basically wearing women's clothing.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:

There are certain rules:

Not true at all regarding colors/patterns for all men. Sometimes a whimsical bow tie adds punch to a summer casual outfit, especially when mixed with a similar color palette, or a plain white shirt. And, you cannot wear dark ties with afternoon suiting in summer, as the season calls for bright colors, though that would not be for business functions, just social or casual. White ties are suitable for evening wear, year round, when the occasion calls for that degree of formality.

The rule with bow ties that I have always followed is that by nature there is a degree of whimsy associated with the tie, so rules do not apply. However, one has to be comfortable not to adhere to conventions in order to use a bow tie in such a manner.

I do agree that the tie needs to be self-tied, unless someone is under the age of five, or they wish to have a certain sartorial reputation as being under the age of five. However, I have seen pre-tied bow ties in London, Harrods comes to mind, so the encroachment of the ready-made bow tie is not exclusive to the United States.

In the South, the bow tie is more aligned with the English custom, hence why it is used to sartorially link with the genteel style of the region. In New England, bow ties are also tied to the English custom, be they preppy or ivy.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty