U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 02:27 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less how a person wears his or her hair. But for some to say (and calipoppy you didn't say this I'm just talking in general) certain styles are equally as "socially acceptable" as others with no negative repercussions is just not so. Now, that may be because of others prejudices but it still IS.

Dare I guess that the same women pictured above with those styles MIGHT (not would, just MIGHT) have a less chance of being hired as a receptionist at certain offices, or a news anchor than if their hair was more mainstream? Heck, I think it was just this year a news anchor was in the news because her station pulled her because she cut her hair super short.

Would those with the above opinion also say dreadlocks are equally as socially acceptable as other styles. TRUE -- dreadlocks have come a LOOONG way, in acceptability. But to say they're always equally as acceptable is just not true.

If you want a pharmaceutical sales job -- try getting it with dreads sticking out of a tall Rasta hat. I'm not saying you WON'T get it. Don't be surprised if you don't.

Again, I think it's GREAT that all clean hair styles are becoming more acceptable. But as another post points out IF certain styles were equally acceptable -- a poster here wouldn't have had to ask in another thread about her natural hairstyle being acceptable at her office, or worry about the negative consequences of such a decision.

This thread started out about whether a person should get a weave. People can wear weaves if they want. I'm more interested in the psychological reasons behind that decision. Some have said they don't feel pretty (and/or socially acceptable) without a weave. THAT is what I find disheartening. (and quite sad actually)
No one is discussing dreadlocks. Wearing your hair in its natural texture does not equal dreadlocks.

The women below are wearing their natural hair texture. Why would they have issues getting a receptionist or a sales job? Wearing my natural hair did not stop me from being hired for a corporate position in HR and I live/work in one of the most conservative areas in the West (AZ)

And please explain what is socially unacceptable about this woman's hair?

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 02:33 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,911,931 times
I didn't realize there was such hoopla about black women's hair til I watch Chris Rocks move "hair" it was interesting to say the least... LOL

I think the pics of the ladies Calipoppy posted look great. I don't know what the names of the styles are, but they look good to me. I think I would prefer that look on black women, more so than the weaves but to each their own.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,359,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Hair density varies by natural color, i.e., hairs per square inch. So some people will have thinner hair. I only know redheads have the least number per square inch b/c I am a redhead. It's usually curly/ kinky (mine was kinky when young & I am white) so it didn't look thin. Now it does as the curl is gone with age. I could use extensions but I am not vain enough to pay that kind of money!
This! In my case, I was the product of one of my mom's affairs & due to my hair I thought I was one quarter to one eight black due to my hair till I had a DNA test. Only to find I''m a plain white girl with super curls! But my curls also have gotten looser with age!

Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I didn't realize there was such hoopla about black women's hair til I watch Chris Rocks move "hair" it was interesting to say the least... LOL

I think the pics of the ladies Calipoppy posted look great. I don't know what the names of the styles are, but they look good to me. I think I would prefer that look on black women, more so than the weaves but to each their own.

This! Its like black women can not win either way. I did not realise that Beyownce's hair must be fake till I saw her dragging her daughter & her daughter had typical black people''s hair & there she was, with a blonde dry mane!. Well I knew the blonde was fake since she is too dark to naturally have blonde hair. Then I looked closely & realised her weave was dry and just fake looking. The contrast between their two hairs was astoundingly embarassing. It reaked of self hate on her part!

On the other hand, its like when black women wear their natural hair, unless they have supermodel looks it raises eyebrows, especially in the workplace.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less how a person wears his or her hair. But for some to say (and calipoppy you didn't say this I'm just talking in general) certain styles are equally as "socially acceptable" as others with no negative repercussions is just not so. Now, that may be because of others prejudices but it still IS.

Dare I guess that the same women pictured above with those styles MIGHT (not would, just MIGHT) have a less chance of being hired as a receptionist at certain offices, or a news anchor than if their hair was more mainstream? Heck, I think it was just this year a news anchor was in the news because her station pulled her because she cut her hair super short.

Would those with the above opinion also say dreadlocks are equally as socially acceptable as other styles. TRUE -- dreadlocks have come a LOOONG way, in acceptability. But to say they're always equally as acceptable is just not true.

If you want a pharmaceutical sales job -- try getting it with dreads sticking out of a tall Rasta hat. I'm not saying you WON'T get it. Don't be surprised if you don't.

Again, I think it's GREAT that all clean hair styles are becoming more acceptable. But as another post points out IF certain styles were equally acceptable -- a poster here wouldn't have had to ask in another thread about her natural hairstyle being acceptable at her office, or worry about the negative consequences of such a decision.

This thread started out about whether a person should get a weave. People can wear weaves if they want. I'm more interested in the psychological reasons behind that decision. Some have said they don't feel pretty (and/or socially acceptable) without a weave. THAT is what I find disheartening. (and quite sad actually)
IMO the tragedy of this discussion is that people will come here & show a SUPERMODEL caliber chick with dreadlocks & of course she will look great. IMO hair like that WILL be an issue for women and men without supermodel looks & most people do not.

Dreadlocks For Women ~ Chehols Hairstyles

versus

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.howtodread.com/dreadlocking.jpg

Guess who will get the job?

Old 12-25-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Thanks Chowhound. These pictures are of black women simply wearing their natural hair texture. And MANY blacks think that our natural hair texture is "ugly", "unprofessional", "unkempt" etc. and will do anything to not show their natural hair texture.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This! Its like black women can not win either way. I did not realise that Beyownce's hair must be fake till I saw her dragging her daughter & her daughter had typical black people''s hair & there she was, with a blonde dry mane!. Well I knew the blonde was fake since she is too dark to naturally have blonde hair. Then I looked closely & realised her weave was dry and just fake looking. The contrast between their two hairs was astoundingly embarassing. It reaked of self hate on her part!

On the other hand, its like when black women wear their natural hair, unless they have supermodel looks it raises eyebrows, especially in the workplace.
There is a lot of ignorance in this post. Sorry but yes.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:51 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,911,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thanks Chowhound. These pictures are of black women simply wearing their natural hair texture. And MANY blacks think that our natural hair texture is "ugly", "unprofessional", "unkempt" etc. and will do anything to not show their natural hair texture.
I remember in that movie Chris Rock did, I remember thinking his little girls he showed were just cute as hell, I couldn't bear thinking of my child facing issues with their natural hair not feeling accepted or fit in or whatever....

I think it's just a byproduct of the euro-centric nature of our society at least here in America.

Back to the burning question of the thread, "weaves, yay or nay."

Put a check box in the nay column.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,382,499 times
back in the day we encouraged dog mane

Old 12-25-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No one is discussing dreadlocks. Wearing your hair in its natural texture does not equal dreadlocks.

The women below are wearing their natural hair texture. Why would they have issues getting a receptionist or a sales job? Wearing my natural hair did not stop me from being hired for a corporate position in HR and I live/work in one of the most conservative areas in the West (AZ)

And please explain what is socially unacceptable about this woman's hair?
I once did HR at a relative's company & I can tell you #1 looks supermodelish like a chocolate Rhihanna she WOULD get hired ASAP. #2 on the other hand..Mehh, So because #2 was awful I can NOT say I looked at #3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or