Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
You have received many good suggestions for your Mom but I am going to suggest Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise -- very nice clean scent with some undertones that she should like -- and in a very pretty bottle. You don't smell it everywhere and it is not too expensive. I received a bottle as a gift and love it and receive many compliments. Read this review:

Click here: Pure Turquoise Ralph Lauren perfume - a fragrance for women 2005
Wonderful! This is perfect. She'll love it. And it's not patchouli!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the person already wears and/or likes it. It's going to be a waste of $ for some of not all otherwise. Pure Turquoise does have patchouli in it and even the slightest hint of that note in perfume is like death on me. I'd never wear Chanel #5 (nor could I be in a room with someone who did). If women aren't complaining they are being polite. Light Blue is like an icepick to my brain. Pleasues? J'adore? Uhhh...no. ETC!!!!! Everyone's reaction is unique. Trust me on this, I'm an old fragranista who's made a hobby out of perfume for years. I'm not saying you won't get lucky with maybe one person, one time, but there are better gifts.

Last edited by Ceece; 12-18-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Actually you would need to know what kind of scents they normally like. Are they beachy people love the ocean, and being on the beach? If so something beachy with coconut or tropical fruits would be good. Got any idea what their favorite flowers are or scents? Notice any candles laying about the houses, what types of scents do they lean towards? Do they like fresh scents?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,524 times
Default Of Course

Women will NEVER stop buying perfume and many men will never stop buying cologne. The trick is to update your tastes as you grow older and to continue to look for a scent that will make you feel attractive! Here's a fantastic online resource for fragrance. And at amazing prices (don't forget free shipping)....

[url=http://www.forfragrance.net]ForFragrance.net | Highest Quality Cosmetics at Affordable Prices[/url]

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Unless you are sure of what fragrance a person likes, it's best to avoid giving it as a gift. I am sensitive to many of the 'chemical' fragrances, and have had to trash some of the gift sets I've received to avoid negative physical reactions.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I cant and wont touch the stuff.. cant be near anyone wearing it or be in a space where perfumes of any kind have been, its something we dont really need on our skin or our senses for many reasons... having chemical sensitivities for many years Im talking from experience..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've decided it would be fun to give perfume to the girls on my Christmas list, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking to spend $40-$75 dollars per bottle. Here are the people I'm buying for:

Grandma: 87-years old. Red head. Politically conservative. Very extroverted. Loud. Lives in Jersey. Divorced.

Mom: 56-years old. Earthy hippie. Likes rock music. Liberal. Atheist. Lives in Santa Fe. Divorced.

My sister: 30. Lawyer. Very liberal, but very serious. Lives in a bland West-coast suburb. Neurotically clean. Perpetually single.

My Godmother: 64. High-strung. Workaholic. Chocoholic. Always stressed. Perfect posture. Skinny. Widowed. Moderate Democrat. Practicing Catholic. Lives in Jersey.

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!
I love these descriptions! I hope you found what you were looking for. Perfume is a very difficult present to choose because scents vary depending on body chemistry. Good for you for trying though.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Oh, and really luxurious candles are beautiful gifts and much easier to pick out for someone. Jo Malone, the London perfume company, sells at Nordstrom for about $60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty