U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I would think long and hard about it! It can really, really damage your hair, and honestly, I don't think blond is a very flattering color on most people- it almost always makes women look washed out, and you will almost certainly need to wear a lot more makeup to bring out your features. Study after study has shown that men strongly prefer brown hair to blond, so if you're looking for attention from the opposite sex, it's probably worth reconsidering!
Washed out? Lighter hair actually flatters a face; wrinkles and imperfections are less noticeable, often making a person look younger.

Maybe you are just a little envious of us natural blondes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,894,180 times
It just depends on the person's natural skin color and age, and whether it is a well done hair color. I think generally it does not look good on an older woman, again depending on the shade of blonde, etc. Bleach blonde, dry, broken hair just is not a good look, but see it alot. I consider myself "older", not yet elderly! And the blonde highlights with brown hair is very appealing still. I tan easily so don't look washed out. And have very good skin, no wrinkles yet! It helps to have a very good stylist who will tell you truthfully what will look good for you.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 AM

290 posts, read 984,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
Washed out? Lighter hair actually flatters a face; wrinkles and imperfections are less noticeable, often making a person look younger.

Maybe you are just a little envious of us natural blondes.
I think this is only true if one has the appropriate skin tone to pull it off, and to be honest, most women I see with lightened hair simpy do not have the right skin tone, and it looks, well- strange. Why do you think on all the makeover shows they try to convince women who have been bleaching for years to go to a deeper, richer color? Next to having women remove their glasses in favor of contacts, it's the thing I see most often on those shows To each their own, I suppose. For what it's worth though, I was a natural blond, and I prayed that my hair would darken like my mom's because I thought it was lovely (of course who doesn't think their mom is beautiful!), and thankfully it did.

And why would I be envious? I've lived both sides of this equation, and three of my closest girlfriends are natural blondes- and while they are lovely as well, they do most definitely look washed out when they aren't wearing makeup. The OP said that she's had lots of different hair colors, and is used to playing around. I think blond is a lot harder to undo than most other colors, and the potential for damage is a lot worse. Just my $0.02!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM

227 posts, read 1,235,860 times
I think unnatural blonde is obvious and not very attractive. Who says you need to dye your hair? Natural is the best.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM

365 posts, read 629,299 times
but my hair is platinum blonde... its got to have the original hair colored lifted out so to speak to get a bottle hair dye all over to work for blonde... so, maybe if you wanna try again, gals, here is what you do...

get the Loreal Hair kit that has the creme developer and toner in it, that is the agent that will turn your hair completely blue, and after its washed out, it WILL look orange, thats how it works... but after about a day or two, get the Loreal Hair color that is called "Light Ashe Blonde" (I used to use "Lightest Ashe" but it made it too white looking, but if its your first try, it might be ok if youre very dark headed anyway...the bleach will have already lifted out your original hair color anyway tho so it shouldnt matter....

but apply the Ashe Blonde and dont substitute by using any other brand beside Loreal, its worked best for me for a while... then apply the Light Ashe and hopefully youll turn out as natural and pretty as mine has...I get compliments all the time on my hair, and so I wish you all the best of luck...Luann

Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM

sorry guess part of my sentence got deleted.. but dont worry, youre hair will only be blue for a few hours while the bleach is peroxiding your natural hair...didnt mean to scare anyone, lol.... but you have to strip out your original hair color in order to get a bottle dye to work its real power.... least thats what Ive experience with over the counter stuff, and its EXACTLY the same color the stylist gets, the color I have now...good luck....

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 PM

p.s. the makeup to use when you dye your hair blonde must go softer, or else it makes your whole face look like stone, soft blues on eye shadow but you can still use darker lipsticks... alot of times the reason hair is so artificial looking after its bleached is people dont know how to get it styled or do their face makeup and how to wear their clothes, so its all a disaster, lol...

Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,682,445 times
I think I will make an appointment with the colorist to see what she suggests. I agree some blondes looked a little washed out but its probably just the wrong shade. And no I'm not dyeing my hair for the opposite sex. My husband loves my hair just the way it is. Have to admit I'm pretty excited about going blonde! Hope it looks as good as the picture I have in my head. If not, well it wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake with my hair.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

290 posts, read 984,946 times
Good luck and report back!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 AM

3,885 posts, read 7,208,135 times
I wonder if you think blondes look washed out because a lot of us have lighter skin, lashes and eyebrows. That fact wouldn't change if we darkened our hair since it's a makeup issue. Thankfully, guys don't seem to think I look washed out at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty