U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,681,993 times

Advertisements

I've dyed my hair just about every color under the sun: black, red, pink, blue, purple, etc... Everything but blonde (although I've had blonde highlights). When I was a kid my hair was a really pretty light golden brown then of course when I was a teenager I started experimenting with hair color and I haven't seen my original color since. Right now my hair has several inches of dark brown roots (didn't color it because I was pregnant) and light blondish/brownish highlights. I want to be a blonde but I'm scared it will look bad on me. I went to Toni & Guy a few years ago with a picture of how I wanted my hair to look. Well, the stylist totally frosted my hair and I ended up looking up like Angela from "Whos The Boss?" Yikes!!! Yeah, it was pretty scary.

So anyhoo I'm thinking after Christmas of checking out this new salon and dying my hair blonde. I want to go totally blonde like Reese Witherspoon or Jessica Simpson. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will go well this time, hehe.

I want to hear from other ladies that have gone blonde. Did you like the look? Did your style come out like you expected or did you have a horror story like mine? What did your hubby/boyfriend think? Did you go back to your original color? Do blondes have more fun? sorry I had to throw that in there! etc..

Tell me about your blonde ambitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,513,390 times
I have naturally blond hair. Light, light blond. It's so light that it looks ridiculous. It's like a light gold with cream highlights. So I always have it dyed a darker shade.

I can't honestly say that I've ever treasured golden locks. I have them, yes, but they're nothing special.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,058,527 times
I have dark hair. I never wanted to be a blonde.

By the way, do you know the difference between the words "blond" and "blonde"?

Blonde is a person, while blond is a color.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,562,567 times
I have naturally "dirty blond" hair...very "mousy" and boring looking (when I was little, my mom called it a "poor people's color".....we couldn't afford a nicer shade....lol)
I went EVERY shade under the sun....you name it, I had it!
Blond just looks better on me, black is way to harsh, brown makes me look older, red/ burgundy is a b**ch to upkeep and makes me look like a witch on Halloween, Platinum blond makes me look like a s**t.
So, I went trough magazines, found a very good and upper scale hair salon, and scheduled a "full head foil" (Most time consuming) with a consultation.
I stuck with highlights of a baby blond, and low lights of a warm medium to light brown.
If you have your whole head colored.....it is so annoying to upkeep it (unless you have a lot of time and money, of course).
The hair is growing out, all at once, creating a "halo" effect with your darker hair, and makes it look so ridiculous and dirty. (IMHO....I hated it so much, having to have my hair done just about every month!......Wow, we are talking costs and time here......wow.)
Now, I am just not willing to spend THAT much on my hair anymore, and just don't have the TIME!
Do yourself the favor and check out foil highlights and foil low lights.
It creates dimension, contrast, movement....and is so easy to upkeep, and better for your hair instead of pulling it trough a cap, tearing at it.
BTW: That's what most celebs are having done in any color!
A good salon and a good consultation is key....and start clipping some magazine pic's for them to see the shade you like, and with their expertise "custom tailor" it to your persona, complementing your eyes, your complexion.
Make sure it is a GOOD SALON!
Good luck, and go for it!

P.S. YES, YES, YES.....I have way more fun as a BLONDE, then any other color I ever had on!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
I was a towhead as a kid, then gradually darkened over the years, I am a dishwater blonde now.
I get lowlights and highlights about 4 times a year.
I remember, as a little kid, being asked "Are you a natural blonde?" before I even knew what the phrase meant.
Probably the whole blond highlights thing is being overdone these days, but people should do what they like. I'd go to a professional, though.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM

969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
I have done all the colors as well- and so far my favorite has been blonde - not all over one color - and not stringy cap highlights but FOIL highlights in HUGE blocks of color - hair "chunking"

Hair Highlight Styles, color highlights, hair chunking, foil, block colors, and more (http://www.beauty-and-nutrition.com/hair_highlight_styles.html - broken link)

It is dramatic and changes with the way you brush and style so it stays "newer" looking longer.

And ALWAYS have a salon do it - the expense is worth the result

Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,979,434 times
hmmm, you guys are making me consider going back to blond!

To answer the OP's question... yes blond can be a ton of fun. I had it when I was younger. whole head, low lights, highlights, everything... I can honestly say the only thing that makes me hesitate from going back to it is... everytime you go lighter, or have your roots touched up in any way, it always made me look washed out in the face until I got used to it again.

Just my experience with it. P'rhaps I wasn't having the right shades done. But I went through a lot of them, from the stylist I went to.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
hmmm, you guys are making me consider going back to blond!
Are we???? LOL
Blond seems to be so "in" again, and brown's have come and gone.

Go into a good salon, and look at the hair and fashion trends right now......they are SO COOL!

Lot's and Lot's of dimension, texture....easy to care for styles, and the new colors and color combo's they can come up with are stunning and absolutely FABULOUS!
I was blown away........
Time to update, Fiddle......you only live once, and should try different things.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,979,434 times
I think if anything.. I would dye my hair back to its original color (dishwater blond) then self-streak/chunk my own blond highlights back in... I've done my own hair for years, as well as other people's. Now that I know what I'm doing, I wouldn't have a salon do it. Who has money for that!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
I think if anything.. I would dye my hair back to its original color (dishwater blond) then self-streak/chunk my own blond highlights back in... I've done my own hair for years, as well as other people's. Now that I know what I'm doing, I wouldn't have a salon do it. Who has money for that!
I see where you are coming from, and applaud you for being able to do your own hair.
But.....maybe it's time to go to the salon at first...at least ONCE, to see WHAT potential you really have with your hair????
That's just IMHO.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty