Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Thankfully men never have to worry about the sleeve length of our tuxedo. Just sweat it through like a true guy .
ROFL, I remember back in the early 90's when tuxes came with either a pants option, or a SHORTS option, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please! The United States Marine Core recently dropped the pull up requirements down to three for females and a majority of women couldn't even do that many. So where are all these "strong" women with powerful biceps, because am sure the US military would love to have them.
Off topic totally, but it is United States Marine Corps.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I did not say everyone should make the same choices as I did/do. I also don't look like I get paid by the hour. I don't wear my pajamas while grocery shopping. I don't leave my house in slippers. I also don't let my thong or panties hang out 6 inches above my jeans. I have standards and morals. More people should have them. A number of societies problems are due to the lack of standards and morals.

How would you know I'm a prude? Because the way a woman dresses doesn't always give away her secrets. In fact, your clothing shouldn't give it all away! Some things are better left to the imagination.

Oh and my husband of 17 years prefers to be married to someone who is lady out in public. What happens at home stays at home.
No offense, but I don't look like a streetwalker in public either thanks. Just because I prefer to wear different clothes than you is not an indication of my job. This is my normal summer wear BTW; looks like I came from the gym, not the local no-tell motel!

As far as wedding dresses go, with 3 teenage girls in the house, we have a variety of styles going on lol!

The oldest prefers a more "traditional" Cinderella sort of look, and YES it will be baby blue, lol!

The middle child wants a sleek, slimline style to go with her attidude and althleticism; close to this style.
And YES she can pull it off, she's a vollyball/basketball/cross country runner, so she has a good build.

And the youngest is a bit of an artist with a wild child streak. She's in her own band, plays 3 instruments, and is a rockester style; and she has already sworn she will be wearing Converse shoes with her dress, lol!

Honestly, I don't care what they wear for THEIR day, it's their choice.

As for my style for my wedding, this is pretty close, only mine had more detail on the bodice and it was in a light bluse, rum pink color.

Hubby wore this for our wedding.

Last edited by Cav Scout wife; 01-28-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Wow, I am so glad I'm not the only one that hates this sleevesless/strapless/cleavage wedding dress thing that, sadly, has become the norm. And especially for women that have lots of tats, I mean do they realize how UGLY they look? When my daughter gets married you bet I'm going to steer her away from those. Not that I will have much of a problem as she dresses pretty conservatively.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And yes -- Mary's dress in Sherlock was beautiful.
I agree, I loved it, the veil, and the color too.

I hope the strapless look with the big puffy bottom will just die already.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Agreed, this is the trend, I think a lot of women want to show off their arms if they work out. But there are some women who would do better with a style that has a sleeve and not so low-cut. I have seen a number of brides letting it all hang out.
Agreed, this boat has left the station.
In general the sleeveless look is popular, stores do it because it is cheaper, then they can sell you the sweater pullovers to go with the dress and charge more $$. They even sell sleeveless Christmas dresses for little children... HELLO, in December up here in the north it is like 10-20 degrees outside. Give us sleeves fashion designers!
Cute pics, I often thought colored wedding dresses would be nice! I look terrible in both white and ivory. I am very pale.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Once again -- keep in mind -- things can be made to cover-up. I would hate for someone to find something that was almost right... but not modest enough.... and then to go through dress after dress after dress and get more disappointed and then give up.

In my opinion, the structured style of a strapless dress actually does a wonderful job of supporting all the weight of the dress, and also adds to the figure of the person wearing it. (Now everyone is going to show me pictures of badly fitting wedding dresses....)

There's a number of things to remember when trying on a wedding dress -- they are usually never the right size, so a larger woman is clamped into it and the bodice and cups will be way too small, and a smaller woman no matter how they cinch it up with clamps also won't make it take away the swimming in fabric effect.

You have to imagine that dress fitted perfectly, and then also to create a lace overlay or cap sleeves or whatever. I've done a little looking, and there are places that sell "modest" wedding dresses and a fair number of them are also boned and structured. The ones that aren't? Are sort of frumpy, and lack drama. They look like prom dresses.

The other thing? Creating a lace shell overlay or straps or a jacket will add money to the dress, on top of any alteration charges. Ask first so you can take that into account.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
No particular reason. Just a vent. EVERY wedding dress I see on TV, reality show, or contemporary show shows wedding dresses with bodices (and cleavage of course) and no sleeves. It's kind of gotten to be quite boring in style. You can do a lot with sleeves. Bring back sleeves!
The only sleeveless wedding dresses I have seen recently are the ones on very very very very very big brides. Maybe all the extra yardage required to cover the arms makes the dress extremely pricey? I don't know, but the slimmer, fit brides are covered, but the brides with arms the size of Earl Cambell legs are always sleeveless.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
sleeeves have alot to do with seasosn as well winter weddings vs summers

Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there are higher-cut strapless dresses that don't "show the goods". I wore a strapless dress and there wasn't even a hint of cleavage exposed.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
I like these dresses:

Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I like these dresses:

I would bet both those dresses are structured and boned like strapless dresses. The lace shell on the top dress being off the shoulder wouldn't hold up the dress. And the second one -- that looks like a bolero jacket over top. I like it -- but the flouncy 3/4 sleeve cuffy things have to go.

I've been watching this series on TLC called Something Borrowed Something New -- where the bride and her mother take the mother's dress in to be recreated into a new dress for the bride, and they also shop for a new dress and see which one the bride picks. The dresses that are recrafted? To me -- they all look like a hot mess. There really is a craft to making wedding dresses....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty