U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,781,154 times

Advertisements

It's not even about sleeves but straps and the abundance of strapless dresses.

Honestly, only brides of a certain weight and body proportions look pretty in strapless and 90% of brides don't look good in them. Not that they're fat or whatever but some skinny girls have super broad shoulders and the dress makes them look like a linebacker.

Many have back fat regardless of weight and the dress is just too tight and bulging and then there's too busty, not busty enough, women with too long of a neck (think Miranda Lambert, small head, big face way at the top of a long neck)

It's just not a pretty look. Really though unless your arms are super shapely and toned it's a pretty "dress" not you looking gorgeous or pretty in the dress.

No one categorized as plus sized looks good in a strapless. The dress is wearing you, not the other way around. Too busty and broad for that look.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,294,647 times
I rather see women with a wedding gown that has long sleeves. Nothing more out of character than a beautiful wedding gown and visible tattoos in the arms. Ultimate tacky!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:50 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,270,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
No particular reason. Just a vent. EVERY wedding dress I see on TV, reality show, or contemporary show shows wedding dresses with bodices (and cleavage of course) and no sleeves. It's kind of gotten to be quite boring in style. You can do a lot with sleeves. Bring back sleeves!
I just saw this post, and even though it's old, I'm going to answer it.

I read an article about why all wedding dresses and formal gowns are sleeveless and strapless. Companies that manufacture wedding dresses and gowns do this for a very good reason (and designers who design for them make sure to keep them happy). Manufacturing sleeves takes time ($), takes cloth ($), takes whatever knickknacks go on the sleeves ($), all totaling to money which the companies have to lay out. For many, many years the designers and the companies have been in agreement that this is a good arrangement - the dresses cost less and the designers only design sleeveless and strapless dresses.

Actually, the demand for sleeves and straps is huge now, and bridal/gown shops don't have any to offer. Once in a blue moon they might have one, but not many because they're simply not manufactured.

It reminds me of what several people I know say - that if you want to know the reason for something: "Follow the money."

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I feel sure that it is possible to get wedding dresses that are beautiful, yet not in bad taste. Some churches still require this.
Just because there is nothing tasteful on reality shows, does not mean there is nothing tasteful in real life.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I feel sure that it is possible to get wedding dresses that are beautiful, yet not in bad taste. Some churches still require this.
Just because there is nothing tasteful on reality shows, does not mean there is nothing tasteful in real life.
Locating a seamstress might certainly help with the adding of sleeves to dresses.

There are a few formal and wedding dresses with sleeves, but very, very few. The sleeveless thingie is so profitable for the companies, that they keep refusing to make sleeveless and their designers of course keep pushing the sleeveless thing.

I think that if people begin to really insist that they are sick and tired of the sleeveless formal-and-wedding-dresses uniform, or go get their own dresses made, maybe the company pockets will hurt and they'll realize they can't get away with this anymore.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Actually sleeves are coming back in style and you can always add a shrug or straps or caps as an option at most dress shops.

The last couple of brides I know just ordered formal dresses from Bloomingdales and Nordstrom's, they didn't go the "wedding dress" route at all and it was great. Few women look good in white cupcakes anyway...too costumey.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually sleeves are coming back in style and you can always add a shrug or straps or caps as an option at most dress shops.

The last couple of brides I know just ordered formal dresses from Bloomingdales and Nordstrom's, they didn't go the "wedding dress" route at all and it was great. Few women look good in white cupcakes anyway...too costumey.
Good to hear!!

I totally agree. The wedding "uniform" that wedding dress companies and designers offer (sleeveless, strapless white things) looks bad on almost everyone. I don't know why they remind me of spanned out toilet paper rolls LOL! There are very few brides I've seen wear a sleeveless, strapless dress on, who looked really great.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Good to hear!!

I totally agree. The wedding "uniform" that wedding dress companies and designers offer (sleeveless, strapless white things) looks bad on almost everyone. I don't know why they remind me of spanned out toilet paper rolls LOL! There are very few brides I've seen wear a sleeveless, strapless dress on, who looked really great.
Don't know who began this trend of bare arms and nearly so bosom in church but it needs to stop. *LOL*

I don't care if you have the most beautiful skin and figure to pull it off, getting married in church should require a certain decorum. Furthermore if you cannot raise your arms to wave "bye-bye" then you might want to rethink going sleeveless or nearly so for your wedding dress.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 PM

93 posts, read 119,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Sometimes I watch say yes to the dress, and I can't believe how many women come out in what looks like the same dress - strapless, ruched or bandage style - and love it so much and talk about how this is the one. I keep thinking, that's the same darn dress everyone is wearing.
I can't watch that show any more. It is so boring when all the brides-to-be look the same in the same ugly strapless style, which looks terrible on almost all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I have a lot of younger friends who have tattoos, and I find tattooed arms and sleeveless wedding dresses a bad look, unless the tattoo is small and of a delicate design. But the entire upper arm and shoulder tattoos just don't help a wedding dress look elegant or dressy, especially the goth girls' "dark" tattoos. I went to one of these friend's wedding last summer and I found the tattoos distracted from the dress.
I remember one young woman who was trying on strapless wedding gowns on Say Yes to the Dress, who kept emphasizing that she wanted to look classy and elegant. Unfortunately she was covered in ugly tattoos which looked about as far from classy and elegant as a person could get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Wow, I am so glad I'm not the only one that hates this sleevesless/strapless/cleavage wedding dress thing that, sadly, has become the norm. And especially for women that have lots of tats, I mean do they realize how UGLY they look?
I agree. Tattoos + strappless gown = hideous.

Even if the gown has beautiful lines and the bride is one of the few women with a shape that it flatters, ugly tattoos will completely distract from the appealing lines of the dress. There's nothing classy or elegant about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It's not even about sleeves but straps and the abundance of strapless dresses.

Honestly, only brides of a certain weight and body proportions look pretty in strapless and 90% of brides don't look good in them. Not that they're fat or whatever but some skinny girls have super broad shoulders and the dress makes them look like a linebacker.

Many have back fat regardless of weight and the dress is just too tight and bulging and then there's too busty, not busty enough, women with too long of a neck (think Miranda Lambert, small head, big face way at the top of a long neck)

It's just not a pretty look. Really though unless your arms are super shapely and toned it's a pretty "dress" not you looking gorgeous or pretty in the dress.

No one categorized as plus sized looks good in a strapless. The dress is wearing you, not the other way around. Too busty and broad for that look.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I rather see women with a wedding gown that has long sleeves. Nothing more out of character than a beautiful wedding gown and visible tattoos in the arms. Ultimate tacky!
I totally agree.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 PM

1,256 posts, read 874,206 times
This was my wedding dress back in 2003:

Sleeveless wedding dresses are ugly and have no style, but that's just my own opinion

Last edited by rhiannon67; 01-30-2015 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty