U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,496,975 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time I saw a sleeveless bridal gown in church, say 2002....I was shocked. Since then, it's just more and more skin and you guys are so right, some of those brides on SYTTD really do not get that back fat is NOT attractive. But yes, I do think the trend is finally over. Starting to see more sleeves on the new styles, or at least off-the-shoulder necklines, which is a little more modest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:36 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I remember the first time I saw a sleeveless bridal gown in church, say 2002....I was shocked. Since then, it's just more and more skin and you guys are so right, some of those brides on SYTTD really do not get that back fat is NOT attractive. But yes, I do think the trend is finally over. Starting to see more sleeves on the new styles, or at least off-the-shoulder necklines, which is a little more modest.
same here, I thought , thats an evening dress and not appropriate for a bride.... a little decorum on the wedding day would be nice again... the ones that have the lace up backs look like saloon girls, then we have the wedding pics where the bride is lifting her skirt up to her knickers to show off her garter.... come on ladies get back to a bit of modesty..

Old 01-31-2015, 08:37 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
These are all sleeveless, and while none of them are my taste, I don't find any of them particularly immodest. I guess I just don't find arms or shoulders scandalous.

http://www.jetfeteblog.com/wp-conten...g-dresses1.jpg

Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,270,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know who began this trend of bare arms and nearly so bosom in church but it needs to stop. *LOL*

I don't care if you have the most beautiful skin and figure to pull it off, getting married in church should require a certain decorum. Furthermore if you cannot raise your arms to wave "bye-bye" then you might want to rethink going sleeveless or nearly so for your wedding dress.
I hadn't even thought about that (church) but you're right. Marriage in a church looking like one is poured into a nude body stocking like Beyonce, is insane. It's a bit like someone drove by "the district," picked up a streetwalker, stuck a veil on her and delivered her to a church.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:17 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,270,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
These are all sleeveless, and while none of them are my taste, I don't find any of them particularly immodest. I guess I just don't find arms or shoulders scandalous.

http://www.jetfeteblog.com/wp-conten...g-dresses1.jpg
I don't find summer clothing scandalous. However, I think that wedding dress design nowadays is simply uniforms with a difference in the bling and the skirt. Kinda like being a server at a restaurant, where everyone wears a uniform and the only difference is the hair and the buttons ("flair?") Same sleeveless, strapless crap. Some wider, some skinnier, some with more bling than others, but the same old sh**.

And it's all because it's cheaper for the manufacturers, so the designers design them all with no sleeves.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
When I was looking for my dress I didn't want strapless, because they were so overdone. I loved off the shoulder style and was sure that's what I was going to get. Well, after looking I realized there just wasn't much selection there for styles that weren't strapless, and I couldn't find anything I liked at my budget. I ended up ordering a dress online for much cheaper, thinking I could always add cap sleeves, but then I didn't feel like going through the trouble of finding a seamstress, fabric, paying for the add on etc. It looked fine as it was so I left it. I don't think I looked slutty or scandalous - I did have my heart set on a tulle princess ballgown because I was 23 and could get away with it, and figured that was my only chance in life to wear one
This was my dress on the model, and on me
Attached Thumbnails
Why don't any wedding dresses have sleeves anymore?-dress.jpg   Why don't any wedding dresses have sleeves anymore?-scan10008.jpg  

Old 02-02-2015, 06:36 PM

52 posts, read 35,343 times
Some have sleeves, but not popular. So it's hard to see. But why not popular? I don't know, maybe the trend.
I found some dresses with sleeves in Zdshe.com

Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM

521 posts, read 467,287 times
Brides should have someone take photos of them in their dresses so they can really see what others see when they're wearing the dress. It never ceases to amaze me when I attend a wedding (not to mention hot weather clothing), that often the skimpiest clothing is worn by the most overweight individuals. The last wedding I attended featured an expensive gown worn by a bride who needed a shovel to put the rolls of fat spilling over the back of her sleeveless, topless dress, back where it belonged.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Well, this one has sleeves...sorta

Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
I only like sleeves that are sheer and/or lacy. And I think it's because back in the late-60's and early-70's, long PUFFY sleeves was the look in wedding dresses, and I disliked it so much. I still cringe to remember it.

The sleeveless is still my favorite design but it isn't for everyone.

Love the dress in the photo above, although the wearer looks too broad-shouldered for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty