U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 AM

14,507 posts, read 11,481,746 times

Advertisements

You dont buy class, its in you..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:11 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,588,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ivanka Trump...

Sometimes money does buy class.
Paris Hilton...

Not so much.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Thankfully men never have to worry about the sleeve length of our tuxedo. Just sweat it through like a true guy .
I see too many men with rented tuxedos that have sleeves too long. About half an inch of shirt cuff should show below the sleeve of a tuxedo when standing, and the shirt cuff should cut right at the middle of the wrist bone.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
As a photographer, sleeveless wedding dresses pose difficulties, at least in America. Even for brides who are relatively svelte (and most have been attempting to loose weight prior to the wedding), sleeveless dresses and those with low backs and low décolletage create bulges that would normally not even be there.

A stiff dress edge across the back and under the arms creates bulges even in slimmer women. Women look at themselves in the mirror while standing straight. But when they bend a bit in any of the poses they might be photographed, and that stiff edge creates a bulge.

So we have to 'Shop the bulges just to get the woman to look as svelte as she really is.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I see too many men with rented tuxedos that have sleeves too long. About half an inch of shirt cuff should show below the sleeve of a tuxedo when standing, and the shirt cuff should cut right at the middle of the wrist bone.
Thanks for your advice, though my marriage will most likely involve wearing a long sleeve kurta made out of pure silk rather than a tuxedo .

Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM

18,259 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Cannot speak for everywhere but many of the Catholic churches were I grew up (New York City) at least up until the 1980's or so forbade sleeveless and certainly strapless wedding gowns. First meeting with the priest laid down that rule and certainly if you wanted to be married on the high altar.

A quick glance through local newspaper's wedding announcements proves that requirement has gone out the window, even for women that ought to know better: Wedding Celebrations - SILive.com

Think the trend to strapless, sleeveless and otherwise more evening gown looking wedding dresses is a reaction to the more informal lives most girls/women lead today. No one seems to want to be strapped into huge dresses with yards of fabric for the skirts, crinolines, fitted bodices and tight sleeves that restrict motion. Brides today want to have a good time at their receptions including being able to move about freely and or dance.

Last big heyday IIRC of huge wedding gowns came just after Diana Spencer's wedding to the Prince of Wales. Everyone it seemed wanted that dress (I still have the Vouge pattern totally intact), but it does not seem the most comfortable thing around.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:01 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,774,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The point of a wedding dress is to show off the bride's best attributes. Some young women have lovely breasts and some don't. Some have a nice booty, and some don't. Some are so modest they would prefer to wear a white burqua, and others would be happier in a few patches of strategically placed lace. I'm pleased to look at any young woman, regardless of how she chooses to present herself.
Uh, NO. Wedding dresses, per se, were traditionally a reflection of the bride's social status, NOT the size of her breasts. The more expensive and elaborate the dress, the more well-to-do the bride's family (since the bride's family was the one that traditionally paid for it.) White wasn't even a popular color for brides until Queen Victoria wore a white dress in 1840. And, since most weddings were in a church or performed by clergy, the rules of church attire carried over to a wedding -- "Sunday best" if you didn't have a fancy long white gown, and NO BARE SHOULDERS. Heavens, until the mid-60's, you weren't dressed for church unless you had a hat or some other covering for your head and I was strict enough with my daughter that she couldn't even wear a sun-dress to church unless she had on a sweater or shrug over it less than 10 years ago. Bare shoulders were considered too casual and too disrespectful, not to mention too revealing and suggestive for what was considered to be a religious ceremony. I can still remember an admonition I overheard between the dress shop owner and a bride two fitting rooms down when I was buying a wedding dress: "My dear, your wedding dress should in no way resemble your wedding nightgown - is THAT what you want people thinking about as you walk down the aisle?!"

But then weddings began to be held in places other than church, and brides started being "daring" by baring their shoulders. I agree with some other posters -- there are a lot of women who simply do NOT look good in a strapless dress. The amount of tension required to keep the dress from sliding over their boobs tends to pinch under their arms and across their back, or, worse, the top isn't fitted properly and basically doesn't support her breasts. And I don't know why people think it's attractive for their butt to wiggle as they teeter down the aisle in a dress that is so tight from boobs to knees that only their knees can bend, or why they have to be "sexy" in their wedding gown, with the corset-style tops and dresses cut so low that you can see the underside of their breasts. They think they look sleek and sexy -- but they don't. They look pathetic. Elegance has left the building.

And manufacturers have played into it, because it is a lot easier to make a strapless dress than it is to create a fully-fashioned dress with an elegant neckline and sleeves -- and they can charge the same price! I, too, was hoping that the Duchess of Cambridge would spark a trend, but alas, no, unlike all the fluffy dresses that Princess Diana wannabes seemed to clamour for in the 80's.

So, Larry, no, a wedding dress is NOT supposed to be showcasing the bride's body parts for your lascivious enjoyment. It is supposed to be a reflection of her taste, style and elegance. In that case, I suppose many of these dresses DO reflect the bride's taste -- but probably not in the way she was hoping.

But, hey, to each their own. No matter what is worn, it's going to look dated and old-fashioned in twenty or thirty years. :-) I rather hope my daughter doesn't choose a strapless dress, but hey, her wedding, her choice.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 PM

18,259 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Bit of trivia:

Mary, Queen of Scots caused a minor scandal by choosing white for her wedding dress when she married Francis II. Then as now white is a color worn for mourning (aka "white mourning"), in France, Belgium and other European countries.

Kate Middleton seems to have channeled the late Princess Grace of Monaco in her wedding gown choice. Demure, pure, elegant and dignified yet showed she (or her family) wasn't short of a bob or two.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cannot speak for everywhere but many of the Catholic churches were I grew up (New York City) at least up until the 1980's or so forbade sleeveless and certainly strapless wedding gowns. First meeting with the priest laid down that rule and certainly if you wanted to be married on the high altar.

A quick glance through local newspaper's wedding announcements proves that requirement has gone out the window, even for women that ought to know better: Wedding Celebrations - SILive.com

Think the trend to strapless, sleeveless and otherwise more evening gown looking wedding dresses is a reaction to the more informal lives most girls/women lead today. No one seems to want to be strapped into huge dresses with yards of fabric for the skirts, crinolines, fitted bodices and tight sleeves that restrict motion. Brides today want to have a good time at their receptions including being able to move about freely and or dance.

Last big heyday IIRC of huge wedding gowns came just after Diana Spencer's wedding to the Prince of Wales. Everyone it seemed wanted that dress (I still have the Vouge pattern totally intact), but it does not seem the most comfortable thing around.
That was one of the ugliest wedding dresses I've ever seen.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Very classy and elegant! These dresses don't scream hey I'm a ***** like many wedding dresses do nowadays.

And why did sleeveless, skintight become the style for everyone? I'm sorry, but everyone does not have a body where they need to be showing off the goods. Some ladies have more rolls than Pillsbury and honestly, it's not attractive. I'm not a size 0 and I would NEVER wear a tanktop or sleeveless shirt in public forget a sleeveless dress let alone a wedding dress. If I wore what these kids are wearing to the prom nowadays, my parents would have locked me up! My grandfather always said it pays to advertise just be careful what you're advertising.
Even in the summer? Why on earth not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty