U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Reputation: 6312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Even in the summer? Why on earth not?
Perhaps She lives in a cool climate like Seattle where summers are kind of chilly.

We on the other hand have properly warm summers and hence women getting married in summer usually choose sleeveless dresses for weddings to stay comfortable. However, long sleeve gowns are in this time of the year as there are people getting married in winter, and no woman in the right mind wants to freeze due to a improperly heated hall during her most memorable day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That was one of the ugliest wedding dresses I've ever seen.
Crumpled Kleenex was the common description at least in some UK media. Bellville Sassoon had been a favourite design house for British royals, and others since the 1950's but cannot believe they got away with that dress. Bellville Sassoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B-S still is highly regarded in some fashion circles helped along no doubt by their association with the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Some of their modern dresses are quite lovely, so guess they learned their lesson: https://www.google.com/search?q=Bell...iw=853&bih=561
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Perhaps She lives in a cool climate like Seattle where summers are kind of chilly.

We on the other hand have properly warm summers and hence women getting married in summer usually choose sleeveless dresses for weddings to stay comfortable. However, long sleeve gowns are in this time of the year as there are people getting married in winter, and no woman in the right mind wants to freeze due to a improperly heated hall during her most memorable day.
Doubtful. She said she'd NEVER WEAR A SLEEVELESS SHIRT IN PUBLIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Doubtful. She said she'd NEVER WEAR A SLEEVELESS SHIRT IN PUBLIC.
Then its just her matter of opinion.

My mom is like that too since she is ashamed of showing off her body. She says sleeveless shirts are only for slim 'n sexy girls. Dunno why ma feels so insecure , but don't want to bother asking her else I risk getting yelled and insulted at (It already happened once and her angry reaction scared the heck out of me. NEVER AGAIN ).

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-04-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Then its just her matter of opinion.

My mom is like that too since she is ashamed of showing off her body. She says sleeveless shirts are only for slim 'n sexy girls. Dunno why ma feels so insecure , but don't want to bother asking her else I risk getting yelled and insulted at (It already happened once and her angry reaction scared the heck out of me. NEVER AGAIN ).
There comes a time in most women's lives when wearing sleeveless becomes a no-no, especially when waving "bye-bye"! *LOL*

Perhaps today's younger weight lifting, working out and otherwise fit generation of women will age differently, but unless you intend to keep that up well past sixty, sooner or later upper arm waddle is your rate. It is right up there with thigh creping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Then its just her matter of opinion.

My mom is like that too since she is ashamed of showing off her body. She says sleeveless shirts are only for slim 'n sexy girls. Dunno why ma feels so insecure , but don't want to bother asking her else I risk getting yelled and insulted at (It already happened once and her angry reaction scared the heck out of me. NEVER AGAIN ).
That's a shame. Nobody should ever be ashamed of their body. We've EARNED every jiggle and every wrinkle. If you don"t like it, don"t look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Reputation: 17039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Sometimes money does buy class.
Never.

To the OP, a lot of it is out of necessity. The majority of weddings are spring and summer when it is hot or warm. Many brides cannot afford 100% silk so the alternative is a man made fabric which does not breath, therefore sleeveless and strapless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
785 posts, read 769,794 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
On this page: Modest Wedding Dresses the dress called Delphine is my favourite. I think it's very classical and lovely.

I found that by doing a web search, it's fairly easy to find a more traditional look. This is just one of the pages I found.

Oh, I'm not getting married. Just saying. I'm sure someone will appreciate the link though!

I went over there and looked and they ARE lovely. But only short sleeved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
785 posts, read 769,794 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Never.

To the OP, a lot of it is out of necessity. The majority of weddings are spring and summer when it is hot or warm. Many brides cannot afford 100% silk so the alternative is a man made fabric which does not breath, therefore sleeveless and strapless.

Seriously? I'm sure that you might believe that, but I don't think so. People follow what fashion dictates. And right now, fashion dictates sleeveless. That's only MHO though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 06:48 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a shame. Nobody should ever be ashamed of their body. We've EARNED every jiggle and every wrinkle. If you don"t like it, don"t look.
Nice girls don't jiggle! *LOL*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top