Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
no one in their right mind can actually want to go out wearing this with a fat back , not everyone has a nice back and surely they must know... same with arms that are heavy and best hidden..

Bridal gown back fat- no bueno! | Fancy Pants Weddings

oh please no.. ONZ / Eindhoven 1747- zwangerschappen beginnen met ontkennings! - forum.fok.nl
The odd thing is that most women with skinny features feel the cold much quicker than those who are overweight. Typically, its the cute skinny chic's who hide under a sweater the moment it drops below their comfort zone because their hands and shoulders feel uncomfortably chilly.

Heavier women usually tend to wear sleeveless clothes because they sweat a lot more and feel uncomfrotable in the heat. I am pretty sure that these choices can be linked as to why women with bulkier features are likely to go sleeveless and strapless for wedding dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
We are a nation of fatty's, and it's sad that our military jumps on the lazy bandwagon as well. 3 pull ups? Please.
Just three pull-ups: Too many for women in the Marine Corps? - CSMonitor.com

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
THAT'S IT.

Come on now, I have seen cheerleaders do 7-10 without much effort at my gym.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Larry, you sound like the stereotypical male! When I got married, I did NOT pick out my wedding dress to show off my attributes and it certainly wasn't chosen to show off my breasts. Those weren't the guests to see! They're brides hands and eyes off!
That was certainly your choice. Some women would cover every inch of skin in public, others are more comfortable in public. You sound like the typical prudish woman who thinks everyone should make the same choices she did.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That's not the purpose of a wedding dress at all. She tries to look beautiful for herself and for her groom to appreciate how beautiful she looks, not to show off her attributes.
We differ a bit on the purpose of a fancy wedding that requires a wedding dress. I see it as an exhibitionistic display of wealth and ego. However, your description of the purpose of the gown is the same as mine, just in different words.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please! The United States Marine Core recently dropped the pull up requirements down to three for females and a majority of women couldn't even do that many. So where are all these "strong" women with powerful biceps, because am sure the US military would love to have them.
After Michelle Obama was photographed in a sleeveless dress not long after entering office, and the photo was followed by an article discussing her exercise routine, which included biceps work, toned biceps and triceps became a big thing. That doesn't mean women can lift their own weight, it means they're toned.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, it is not the point of a wedding dress to show off the bride's "attributes". The attributes should be revealed behind closed doors later.... kind of like unwrapping a present.
Back in the day, when people had decorum, a priest or minister would never perform a wedding unless the bride was modestly covered.
I think it is much lovelier for a bride to dress like a princess, and not like a street walker.
You are free to hang on to your illusions, but I meet young women who are both sexually experienced and comfortable with their bodies when they get married. Women are not virgins on the wedding night any more.

From a man's point of view, a wedding is usually just a declaration that they plan to have children, which is not practical when you are just living together. Many young women view a wedding as a license to let her princess complex run wild. The separate expectations are often immensely destructive to their relationship.

As far as wedding gowns, check this one out. Click the view from the back. Very nice.

Brideswardrobe Wedding Dress - Spaghetti strap satin beaded sexy beach wedding dress HA-1652

Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Even in the summer? Why on earth not?
Because it's inappropriate! I got married on August 31st and it was 90 something degrees. I still wore short sleeves and had a 6 foot train bustled to my rear end. Some ladies - notice I said ladies - are modest and don't believe the world needs to see their goods. I grew up being taught to respect myself and those around me and not to advertise my body. My body was for me and my husband only. And no I'm not 60 years old. I in my 30's and come from divorced parents.

My grandfather told me - until he could no longer speak - that it paid to advertise and you better watch what you're advertising. If you looked like a skank, he'd be the first to tell you. And to have him say anything of the sort would have been heartbreaking. It was something I NEVER EVER wanted to hear. And I never did hear it because I didn't dress like some skanky, classy hooker.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Perhaps She lives in a cool climate like Seattle where summers are kind of chilly.

We on the other hand have properly warm summers and hence women getting married in summer usually choose sleeveless dresses for weddings to stay comfortable. However, long sleeve gowns are in this time of the year as there are people getting married in winter, and no woman in the right mind wants to freeze due to a improperly heated hall during her most memorable day.
Nope. I live in NY and it's in the 90's here a good portion of the summer. I've also lived in SC and it was frequently 110+ during the summer.

Some ladies choose to be modest in their dress. I am not an athletic person and don't feel that the world needs to stare me, make fun of me, etc. I'm very self conscience because I grew up being taught to cover up. The good lord didn't provide you with the goods to show the world.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
no one in their right mind can actually want to go out wearing this with a fat back , not everyone has a nice back and surely they must know... same with arms that are heavy and best hidden..

Bridal gown back fat- no bueno! | Fancy Pants Weddings

oh please no.. ONZ / Eindhoven 1747- zwangerschappen beginnen met ontkennings! - forum.fok.nl
Oh dear! There's only so much Photoshop can fix. It doesn't erase memories however. If your so stuffed in your dress that can't tell if you're coming or going, then there's a huge problem going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty