Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM

36 posts, read 37,653 times

Advertisements

So only in the last few months have I come upon this word to describe everything from fashion to people. I have to admit, the entire concept leaves me both confused and annoyed. As a lover of cute, dainty things, I often find the things I enjoy associated with this word, which is apparently a very obnoxious thing.

I can't help but wonder, what makes something inherently "twee"? When is the line crossed from cutesy to TOO cutesy? Is this word assigned to so many things simply because "cute" in general is not something many adults value compared to things that are instead sexy, beautiful or edgy, and cute is instead associated with children?

I'm honestly just very curious about the entire concept.

Last edited by TwinkleBear; 02-03-2015 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
It's just a personal judgment call, like "ugly" or "pretty" or "cute."

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Recently read a book on this exact subject, perhaps OP might check it out-

"Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion, and Film" by Marc Spitz (2014).

The book addresses the broad ethos of "twee", though-doesn't much focus on it with regard to clothing.
Twee is used somewhat interchangeably with "indie", which is inherently, by its very nature, a moving target-
since that which is indie tends to get eaten up and assimilated by the mainstream (or else remain marginal & fringe, perhaps dwindling away).

Couple quotes:
Quote:
“The culture’s tendency toward crafting begins in the post-9/11 era.”
“Anything tangible, perennial, “old school”, and pure-a book, an LP record-is akin to a kind of cultural comfort food.”

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
So only in the last few months have I come upon this word to describe everything from fashion to people. I have to admit, the entire concept leaves me both confused and annoyed. As a lover of cute, dainty things, I often find the things I enjoy associated with this word, which is apparently a very obnoxious thing.

I can't help but wonder, what makes something inherently "twee"? When is the line crossed from cutesy to TOO cutesy? Is this word assigned to so many things simply because "cute" in general is not something many adults value compared to things that are instead sexy, beautiful or edgy, and cute is instead associated with children?

I'm honestly just very curious about the entire concept.
When you look like you are wearing a child's costume or stepped out of another decade, it is twee.

If you own things that have to be insured but dress as if you are about to skip out of a 1950s storybook, you're twee.

It's trying too hard to be childlike and precious.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Actually "twee" is a British dialect word that people there make jokes about as being impossible to understand without a matching cultural background--or perhaps "impossible to understand" really means "likely to leave people with different ideas about its meaning".

I would say that it's not just "overly cute" but "something with a false atmosphere to suit boring middle-class taste". It is indeed a judgment call, no doubt about that!

Bu then again, maybe the people who'd use that word just don't appreciate nice stuff. There's no absolute standard for what's good--we can all choose.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Sounds more like a remnant of a tweet.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Trying too hard to be precious, unspoiled and innocent and childlike. Wes Anderson.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:09 PM

36 posts, read 37,653 times
That's just it though. How does one know when someone is "trying too hard". Personally speaking, I hate wearing jeans or tightly fitted pants or anything really deemed as sexy. I like modesty. I like knee length, puffy skirts. I like peter pan collars because they feel more feminine than regular ones. I like pastels and kitten heels and babydoll dresses. As some say, I might even look like I'm "dressing from another decade" because sadly nowadays (in America anyway) women primarily wear tightly fitted pants and it's rare to find skirts and feminine cut blouses outside of those in the corporate setting. I'm not TRYING to act innocent or cute, but how does a stranger know that? Am I to alter my own personal tastes because I happen to like pretty, cute things, but am in danger of being seen as someone trying to emulate a child? It's fairly frustrating.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
One of my favorite bands is like the poster case for twee, Belle and Sebastian.
When I think of twee style I mostly just think of skinny guys with the waistcoats and floppy hair, which I think is becoming a bit out of style. Wes Anderson is a good example of a twee aesthetic, though. Retro, but of an imaginary time period. I am not sure I could identify a "twee" woman's style.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
That's just it though. How does one know when someone is "trying too hard". Personally speaking, I hate wearing jeans or tightly fitted pants or anything really deemed as sexy. I like modesty. I like knee length, puffy skirts. I like peter pan collars because they feel more feminine than regular ones. I like pastels and kitten heels and babydoll dresses. As some say, I might even look like I'm "dressing from another decade" because sadly nowadays (in America anyway) women primarily wear tightly fitted pants and it's rare to find skirts and feminine cut blouses outside of those in the corporate setting. I'm not TRYING to act innocent or cute, but how does a stranger know that? Am I to alter my own personal tastes because I happen to like pretty, cute things, but am in danger of being seen as someone trying to emulate a child? It's fairly frustrating.
To me, the difference is whether you dress like you're auditioning for a part on I Love Lucy.

If your ENTIRE LOOK is straight-up '50s, then it is like a costume. To avoid being twee, mix and match vintage pieces with current pieces. Not everything made today is slutty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty