Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times

Advertisements

I'm 50 and love this stage of my life.. I'm healthy have all my parts still, strong, actively fit , can honestly say I'm more happier and feel more alive than ever~ ... We our retired and empty nest, kids have life's so more alone time with hubby, just enjoying each other , doing the things we love........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
[quote=Townandcountrygal;32911073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Hell to the yes I have to work harder! Now I have to color my gray every 4-6 weeks and be a lot more vigilant about taking care of my skin. I also have to be more careful about how I dress and wear less makeup in softer colors.

What I do now that I didn't do before (text deleted to save space)

Great post, Bayarea4! What you said about your hair/makeup/fashion choices sound very much like mine. When working, I wore outfits that required drycleaning. Now, instead I wear well-fitting jeans & pants plus Susan Graver liquid knit polyester/Spandex tops because they don't wrinkle, are easy care, are comfy, and they are flattering. Still have several cashmere sweaters because they are warm without adding bulk.

What prompted me to ask what other women are doing to "maintain" themselves was a recent visit to a doctor. It was my first visit to him and he asked, "Did you just come from work?" He was referring to my appearance--hair combed/styled, makeup on, and a nice sweater with scarf (he had no idea what I was wearing on the bottom half that day because he was a gynecologist!) He said "Most women come in here looking like they just crawled out of bed."
I get those instance regularly, but, I don't work at it, at least no more than just matching up what I wear day to day I just have that way of dressing most of the time. I've never much been a roll out of bed into anything laying around person. I've often be mistaken for the office staff at my complex. I just can't get into the perpetual touristy look that most, not all, wear in these parts, though I've tried now and then.

I don't criticize those that have a different style that appeals to them, but what they feel comfortable in just doesn't feel right for me nor suits my body. Have to say with the crazy weather we're having here in FL, I'm finding it a little more challenging to dress in a way that I prefer.

I didn't give up the heels because I don't want to wear them, I gave them up because I had to, Arthritis in knees, plantar fasciitis and foot spurs. Partly due to working with weight machines too strenuously did a lot of damage to the knees, followed by a couple of car accidents, hiking took care of the feet. I do still try to work out to senior videos though.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I'm 50 and love this stage of my life.. I'm healthy have all my parts still, strong, actively fit , can honestly say I'm more happier and feel more alive than ever~ ... We our retired and empty nest, kids have life's so more alone time with hubby, just enjoying each other , doing the things we love........

WildCard--you and Anne Hathaway could be sisters! Lucky you to be such a beauty!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
WildCard--you and Anne Hathaway could be sisters! Lucky you to be such a beauty!
Thank You~

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Wink 40 is the new 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Older ladies: do work harder now to look presentable? What are you doing now hair, makeup, and fashion wise that you didn't when younger?
My signifigant other didn't really being to look sexy until she was forty.
It all came together with style, age, and personality plus experience.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
No, I do a lot less in my 40s than in my 20s or 30s.

When I was younger, I was in the corporate world, so I dressed up everyday: suits, jewelry, heels, pantyhose, hair done (experimented with different styles and lengths), makeup (powder, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, blush). I exercised regularly (3-4x/week), ate very healthily.

Now, I work part-time from home, so I wear casual clothing. I found the perfect hairstyle for me 10 years ago and have been wearing it that way ever since. It's wash and wear, so no complicated routine. I wash out the occasional grays once a month.

I've been the same size since the age of 20.. I've never had a weight problem which I'm so grateful for since I have way less time to go to the gym since having kids--1-2x/week. I still eat a healthy diet.

My makeup routine was always simple, but now even more so, although I've added moisturizer, which I never used until I reached my 40s. My daily regimen is coconut oil on my face, powder, mascara. I add lipstick if I have to run out.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
No, I do less. I feel like I am not aging well in the face and neck area. Probably because I abused my skin in the sun and in tanning beds (stupid me!). Now I am paying the price.
I gave up on makeup because I think it makes me look older, so I just put on mascara when I go to work. I use facial moisturizer too.
I have a little gray in my hair and every few months I color it out. I don't fuss with my hair like I used to. It's wash and go now. Much easier.
I dress casual and have been the same size since I was in high school. I eat a little healthier now but my diet is still not very good. So far I am fit and healthy so I think that's a good thing.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Oh hell yes I work at it.

Botox along with the best serum and moisturizer and I can justify (the expensive serum not moisturizer, moisturizers don't do anything but make your wrinkles soft).
Guess I never really thought about serum vs moisturizer. And I DO have soft wrinkles! Is there really a big difference? I'd love to know what brands are good. Sounds like its pricey so that makes it hard to experiment.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Guess I never really thought about serum vs moisturizer. And I DO have soft wrinkles! Is there really a big difference? I'd love to know what brands are good. Sounds like its pricey so that makes it hard to experiment.
My favorite serums are Clarins and Chanel. Chanel's serum is about twice as expensive as Clarins (I think Clarins is about $80 and the bottle lasts about 5-6 months because a little goes a long way) and I can't see a difference between the results to be honest, so I switched to Clarins permanently.

I am nearly 52 and I HAVE made a conscious effort to take care of my skin all my life, other than a crazy stint of tanning during my teens (after all, we only have one face and it has to last a long time). I didn't start using a serum regularly till recently, but I've always used a good moisturizer. I also think genetics and the level of oil in our skin makes a huge difference. I have always had combination skin and when I was younger I often cursed the occasional blemish, but it's been a good trade off in the long run.

I use serum, an all natural eye cream, and then BB cream (combo moisturizer and very light foundation). After my bath, when my skin is very moist, I use almond oil on my face and let it sink in. It's a very light oil.

One thing I always tell younger women is this - DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR NECK AND UPPER CHEST AREA (decollatage). I didn't pay a bit of attention to this area for years and now it's not aging as well as my face is. I will nearly positively get something "done" about this in the near future (I think maybe for my 55th birthday). I don't have much wrinkling on my face at all - I mean, you can tell via gravity that I'm not a spring chicken anymore but I don't really have WRINKLES -but my neck is starting to get crepey and I have some sun damage on my decollatage. I am NOT going to have a turkey waddle neck!!! So I'm not at all opposed to going under the knife to take care of that!

Here's me about two months ago.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Nope. I still don't wear make-up, and I still just wash and condition my hair at night and let it air dry. I do need to exercise more but I do have some physical limitations.

My clothing could use a helping hand, I am quite sure, but I wear what I am comfortable wearing. When I snazz it up a bit, I do get compliments, so I suppose I could do that more often.

Jeans and a t shirt... that is what I am comfortable in.

This is me a few months ago....I was 39...40 now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty