Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
Makeup is nothing more than a mask. In the morning you see a completely different person. You dont see men walking around with Brad Pitt mask's, and attempting to pass it off as their natural appearance. Halloween is over, and Winter is coming.
OK. For most women who wear makeup, it is not a mask. For most of us it is an enhancement of natural features.

The OP characterized makeup as putting on a clown face, for pete's sake.

I am sure there are women who wear too much makeup--I think I spotted one the other day, but you know she was with a nice looking young man, and they seemed pleased to with each other. So who am I to say she wears too much. Her makeup is probably done to her taste, and apparently the man in her life likes it.

But there are plenty more who don't use so much, and do not regard using it as masking their true selves.

Where you do you guys get all these crazy notions, anyway? And if you are a female, I have to ask the same question. Why all the hate about makeup? Most women of all ages wear at least some. If you doubt me, visit Ulta sometime. Or Sephora.

Is all this hate coming from people who don't believe in wearing makeup as a matter of principle? If this describes some of you makeup haters, then please know that you are really wrong on several points. And while you are within your rights to disapprove, we wearers are within our rights to wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
Makeup is nothing more than a mask. In the morning you see a completely different person. You dont see men walking around with Brad Pitt mask's, and attempting to pass it off as their natural appearance. Halloween is over, and Winter is coming.

nah, some of us wear it and you wouldn't even know it.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, I HAVE heard all the warnings that face powder is just a gateway drug to weed, now that you mention it.
Too funny!!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,347 times
I am totally agree with you. Lip gloss is good enough for daily use, but occasionally make-up is must. Daily make-up leads to wrinkles and aging signs very early.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBrown View Post
I am totally agree with you. Lip gloss is good enough for daily use, but occasionally make-up is must. Daily make-up leads to wrinkles and aging signs very early.
That's not necessarily true. I use tinted moisturizer and a bit of powder in my 'T zone' because of shininess. I doubt my use of moisturizer is going to give me wrinkles and signs of aging.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's not necessarily true. I use tinted moisturizer and a bit of powder in my 'T zone' because of shininess. I doubt my use of moisturizer is going to give me wrinkles and signs of aging.
Yeah, the sun, poor health/diet, smoking, and just getting older are going to give people wrinkles. BB cream by itself? Not so much.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-16-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, the sun, poor health, smoking, and just getting older are going to give people wrinkles. BB cream? Not so much.
Exactly. Unless someone is caking on the pancake or stage makeup daily, a little light makeup isn't going to hurt anything. Especially the nice sheer makeups available today. Again, I use very little myself, mostly no foundation or powder; but if I do occasionally wear a foundation, I have one that is extremely light and sheer like a tinted moisturizer, and I just blend a couple drops over my face.

Like the above poster said, it is lifestyle choices and aging that create wrinkles. And even in the case of aging, wrinkles can be delayed if one keeps themselves fit and healthy.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Exactly. Unless someone is caking on the pancake or stage makeup daily, a little light makeup isn't going to hurt anything. Especially the nice sheer makeups available today. Again, I use very little myself, mostly no foundation or powder; but if I do occasionally wear a foundation, I have one that is extremely light and sheer like a tinted moisturizer, and I just blend a couple drops over my face.

Like the above poster said, it is lifestyle choices and aging that create wrinkles. And even in the case of aging, wrinkles can be delayed if one keeps themselves fit and healthy.
Oddly, I've noticed that people who are 'fit and healthy' tend to have more wrinkles, and people who are a bit on the overweight side have much smoother skin. I think it has to do with the collagen and fat layers in your skin. I'm a healthy weight, but plan on staying towards the 'top end' of it. I'm 30 and not a wrinkle in sight...and I did smoke and drink often in my early 20s.

I honestly think genetics has more to do with it than most people think. My Mom smoked for 25 years and has perfectly smooth skin in her early 50s, my Grandmother is 71 and she also has pretty smooth skin and was sun worshipper growing up. Not to say you shouldn't be mindful of how you take care of your body, but I in no way take credit for my skin since it's likely I just lucked out genetically in that regard.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Having very low body fat does eventually make one look more haggard as skin ages. Very, very slim women do tend to get a skull-like quality about the face as they advance into old age. Both my grandmas were/are small in stature, around 5'2". One (now deceased) was, while not obese, round-cheeked and more plump and soft. The other is very slim and raw-boned...quite petite and delicate, far more low body fat. When my late grandma passed away at 90 of Alzheimer's, she looked more youthful than my other grandma looks now at 81.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I honestly think genetics has more to do with it than most people think. My Mom smoked for 25 years and has perfectly smooth skin in her early 50s...
God, my mom's smoking, as well as sun exposure from gardening and yard work, has aged her so horribly...it's such a shame. She is early sixties, but her skin looks at least a decade older than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty