Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,687,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I kinda feel I shouldn't have started this thread, because I'm actually noticing skirts making a bit of a comeback over the last year or so, having noticed it a bit more.
I think I said this before, but it could be certain styles of skirts come and go out of fashion. It's easier to notice some trends coming and going but others will always be classic. I don't think we're going to see miniskirts go out of fashion any time soon, for one When I was growing up, pleated skirts were popular but when I was in high school they were hard to find. Now, pleated maxi skirts are very popular, along with the high-low hemline pleated skirts.

It also depends on where you live. My ILs live in an area where even wearing a casual plain skirt is considered "dressing up," whereas where I live you actually need to dress up if you're going to wear a skirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,304,768 times
I've seen skirts on the classiest of women. They will never go out of fashion IMO.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,927,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I remember when I was in high school from 1999 to 2003, most girls wore short skirts in summer, but now it seems actually rare to see. I'd say from about 2004 or so. Now they mostly wear those short denim shorts (sometimes absurdly short), which've seemed to be in fashion forever. This is the case in Australia, it might be a bit different over there. Just wondering if you've noticed this too? Dresses are still worn, but not as commonly. I also notice even in primary school none of the girls wear skirts anymore but shorts or 'skorts' (shorts that look like skirts), whereas back in my day all the girls wore skirts in summer and the boys shorts.

Skirts in general just seem less common...pants/shorts have been by fair the attire of choice for most women with the exception of uniforms in professional/business situations.
Like others have said here they were not popular in the 90's in my high school. Most people wore shorts, pants or jeans.

I live in Miami and skirts have never been that common. I guess because we don't have seasons people are not worried about wearing some fashion before it gets too cold

What I notice is more long spaghetti dresses now days. They look uncomfortable to me because the fabric is so thin. It's like you are almost naked.

I stopped wearing skirts and dresses since I was 21. Never really wore them that much though. I didn't like the extra attention from men and having to worry about my posture. I like my freedom and don't plan to ever wear a dress again.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM

43,309 posts, read 44,028,521 times
Haven't noticed this. But I think skirts are much more convenient to wear than dresses as one can change out of them to pants (long or short) while keeping the same top on.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,995,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Like others have said here they were not popular in the 90's in my high school. Most people wore shorts, pants or jeans.

I live in Miami and skirts have never been that common. I guess because we don't have seasons people are not worried about wearing some fashion before it gets too cold

What I notice is more long spaghetti dresses now days. They look uncomfortable to me because the fabric is so thin. It's like you are almost naked.

I stopped wearing skirts and dresses since I was 21. Never really wore them that much though. I didn't like the extra attention from men and having to worry about my posture. I like my freedom and don't plan to ever wear a dress again.
You don't like worrying about your posture when you wear dresses? So, wearing pants allows you to slouch? Not understanding your comment.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:36 AM

183 posts, read 291,365 times
well there are number of women who don't give a damn to fashion and what culture is they wear whatever they want. I can see skirts in winters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty