Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

This June, my boyfriend's mother will have a surprise birthday dinner party thrown for her at a hotel. The theme is Hollywood elegance w/ red carpet, "papparazzi", etc. It sounds like it will be quite a big to-do since the planning is starting this far in advanced.

Ladies, what would you wear to an event like this? An After 5, short, party type dress, a long & formal dress, or something else? I want to wear a dress. Color doesn't matter, but probably black or red.

I need ideas, something sexy & definitely more than just the "little black dress". I'm only 5'3" & plan to lose enough weight to be a size 6 or 7. Post pics if you want or links to store websites!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-15-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I wouldn't wear a long gown, I can't stand them.

If you dont want an LBD (and seriously a backless lbd, killer shoes, etc is classic and sexy) than a hi-lo is a good choice. Being on the petite side you are going to want to go monochrome in the dress if you go floor length to elongate everything.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Here's a site to check out. They have knock-offs of red carpet dresses and you can sort by color & price

Cheap Evening Dresses Online - Inexpensive Long and Short Evening Gowns - TheCelebrityDresses

Because you are petite, stay away from dresses with lots of volume or horizontal details (except for maybe a one-shoulder or strapless). You want a column, sheath, slight A-line, or very modest mermaid to keep your silhouette long

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks so much for the site weezycom. I never knew about it.

If all else fails, I have a straight down, long, black halter-style, sleeveless, formal dress with rhinestones around the arms & waist that points into a downward V.

At least I have 4.5 - 5 months to prepare for it!

My boyfriend & I told ourselves that we'll be dressed to the nines for this.

Any other ideas?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
http://www.renttherunway.com/shop/de...htglamourdress

I have been looking for a reason to rent this.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks so much for the site weezycom. I never knew about it.

If all else fails, I have a straight down, long, black halter-style, sleeveless, formal dress with rhinestones around the arms & waist that points into a downward V.

At least I have 4.5 - 5 months to prepare for it!

My boyfriend & I told ourselves that we'll be dressed to the nines for this.

Any other ideas?
Yep......dress up......but, you will never gain any points by out-dressing the MIL.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

63 posts, read 89,458 times
Hollywood elegance means long gowns.....I would do shimmery gold, with past-the-elbow gloves and heels, of course, a matching shimmery clutch, and lots of jewelry for bling!......or an emerald green gown, or royal blue, or red. Maybe silver! Depends on the gown and if it "speaks" to you. Sounds like a blast, btw! A great place to order from, (and you can custom-order) is Light In The Box. Got my dress from there for my son's wedding, and they have zillions of special event dresses and pant suits. There's also formal wear at Roaman's and Woman Within, if you don't lose the weight. If you do lose it, you have tons of places to choose from. Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
Hollywood elegance means long gowns.....I would do shimmery gold, with past-the-elbow gloves and heels, of course, a matching shimmery clutch, and lots of jewelry for bling!......or an emerald green gown, or royal blue, or red. Maybe silver! Depends on the gown and if it "speaks" to you. Sounds like a blast, btw! A great place to order from, (and you can custom-order) is Light In The Box. Got my dress from there for my son's wedding, and they have zillions of special event dresses and pant suits. There's also formal wear at Roaman's and Woman Within, if you don't lose the weight. If you do lose it, you have tons of places to choose from. Good luck and have fun!
A wedding....sure....

But, what to tell the MIL so she has a chance to dress equally.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM

I think I'd like to get a short dress & here's why. My boyfriend has a younger sister & 2 other brothers who will bring their wives of course & none of those females are the types to wear a long dress, especially my boyfriend's sister. She's the type to wear the shortest & tightest thing out there. I'm not saying I want to look like her, but I want to try to blend in & wear similar attire to what the other females my age will be wearing. Not that long dresses can't be hot, but I sure don't want to be sitting up there in this long evening gown, while everyone else is in these short, flirty cocktail dressses. I'm also not going to spend a ton of money either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep......dress up......but, you will never gain any points by out-dressing the MIL.
She's not that type of lady (& she's not my MIL yet). Besides, I'm a whole lot younger than her, so she doesn't see young women like myself as competition with her of who can dress better. That's a total non-issue anyway because people generations apart shouldn't be competing with each other...the age gap is just too great. I wouldn't worry about up-staging or up dressing her. She has her style & I have mine.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
White Marilyn M0nroe dress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty