Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

If an older woman in the entertainment world didn't do certain things to assist in looking as young as possible, she would not have work. It is even now the same for men. That's how it is and it won't be changing. Wrinkles are not glamorous and never will be. If a woman can appear to not have wrinkles and sell a product to prevent wrinkles, why not? Sleight of hand is a part of our world. Truth in advertising is not going to happen if the advertiser can possibly get away with promoting a product and not be truthful. Diane Keaton has looked old for many many years. I think her beauty is the type that fades early and that's what happened. Some of her movies it was easy to see at a certain point in the film the camera would show her age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If an older woman in the entertainment world didn't do certain things to assist in looking as young as possible, she would not have work. It is even now the same for men. That's how it is and it won't be changing. Wrinkles are not glamorous and never will be. If a woman can appear to not have wrinkles and sell a product to prevent wrinkles, why not? Sleight of hand is a part of our world. Truth in advertising is not going to happen if the advertiser can possibly get away with promoting a product and not be truthful. Diane Keaton has looked old for many many years. I think her beauty is the type that fades early and that's what happened. Some of her movies it was easy to see at a certain point in the film the camera would show her age.
The fact is, Diane led a rough lifestyle in her younger years, and is paying for it now. She has aged terribly, and that is a fact. she is far more wrinkled than many even 10 years her senior. She is only 4 years older than me, but she looks like she could be my mother. I don't care about any of this, I have nothing against her personally, she is a great actress and I love her movies. But bottom line, L'oreal could have picked someone a lot more appropriate to sell "wrinkle cream." It's almost a sick joke, really.

Another older woman who looks great is Ann-Margret. She is an ageless beauty.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Pssstttt.... all the mascara ads are fake too. They actually put false eyelashes on those models!
I know!! this drives me nuts!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I thought she looked awful.
I agree! I liked her idea though.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllex View Post
The commercials ARE false advertising. For every cosmetic product, there should be fine print that tells you: in addition to using this product on a regular basis, you need to hire a professional photoshop, make-up, and soft lighting camera crew to follow you around.

This is why all those "celebrities without makeup!" pictures are always so shocking.
I agree it's false advertising.

But I don't find celebrities without makeup very shocking. I think most look just fine.
I know what I and other women look like without makeup & these women are no different. It's just the contrast of seeing them looking regular vs having unnaturally smooth, flawless faces that may be startling, but many still have nice features & complexions when compared to the average person.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Most people know that these people in commercials or pictures in magazines have great lighting and angles. The make up is put on in such a way to help flaws. Then of course all the touch up after.
I am not sure her age but I think it is better to age gracefully then look plastic like some stars seem to be looking today.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
It's advertising. They get paid to create an illusion, sell a product, and use every trick in the book to do so. Photoshop, lighting, camera angle, makeup, stylists, celebrities, models, etc. all contribute to making the illusion seem plausible. Heavy people are made thin, older people are made to look young, it's all part of the game to sell these wonderful products.

Do you remember when L'Oréal had to pull their ads featuring Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington because they were overly airbrushed?

L'Oréal's Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington ad campaigns banned | Media | The Guardian

Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Most people know that these people in commercials or pictures in magazines have great lighting and angles. The make up is put on in such a way to help flaws. Then of course all the touch up after.
I am not sure her age but I think it is better to age gracefully then look plastic like some stars seem to be looking today.
Diane Keaton is 68.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The fact is, Diane led a rough lifestyle in her younger years, and is paying for it now. She has aged terribly, and that is a fact. she is far more wrinkled than many even 10 years her senior. She is only 4 years older than me, but she looks like she could be my mother. I don't care about any of this, I have nothing against her personally, she is a great actress and I love her movies. But bottom line, L'oreal could have picked someone a lot more appropriate to sell "wrinkle cream." It's almost a sick joke, really.

Andie McDowell at age 56 (she used to live here in Asheville, remember Gypsychic?) is a model for L'Oreal. Haven't seen her in their television ads lately; yet she is still in a few magazines. We saw her at a local supermarket couple of yrs. ago; no makeup, bandana on, she looked good and was recognizable. Unfortunately she was also pretty danged snooty to the clerk which made her seem quite ugly.

Cameras, they say, add about 10 lbs. to a person. Diane Keaton looked very thin, almost anorexic looking. It helps at her age to have a few extra pounds on to fill out the wrinkles. And yes, she is a great actress, no doubt about it. We're not bashing Diane here, just that many of us were taken aback by how she looked at the awards the other night. Older than her years (imo).

Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty