Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,228 times

Advertisements

We have a matching set of navy blue luggage received as a wedding gift four years ago. My parents have a set of olive green luggage they bought on major sale several years ago. Over the years, we've swapped around so many of the bags based on who is traveling where and when that no one has their complete matching set anymore!

When it's time to replace these bags, I don't think I'll go with a set again, but not because of fashion. I simply would like to select each bag based on comfort and function, and I think picking outside of a set would allow the best combination of bags to be chosen.

Luggage is not a fashion statement. Get what works for you and don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
What do you care what "another customer" thinks? If you want matching luggage, buy what makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
For me? I want the loudest pinkest thing out there, because most people buy boring black or green, and they all look alike on the carousel.
I bought lime green suitcases. Easy to spot on the carousel, and when I'm on the crosswalk headed to the parking garage, easy to spot by motorists.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
I have matching luggage & enjoy it. I travel quite a bit, & love how my luggage is so easy to spot on the carousel amongst all the generic black bags. Who the hell cares if it's tacky. I don't know of anybody on the plane I should be trying to impress. Mine's leopard print.
Grrrrrr.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've always liked the idea of matched luggage and my inclination is to buy a set. However, I heard another customer in a department store claim that it was tacky to have matched luggage. This surprised me.

Thoughts? Is it important to you to have matching luggage, or are you okay with mismatched pieces assembled from TJ Maxx?
Sure, it's nice to have matching luggage. But it's not necessary. Nor is it tacky to have either matched or mismatched luggage. Construction and quality are the most important factors. Those bags are going to be treated like garbage. It's important that they can withstand the stress. Not whether or not they match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
For me? I want the loudest pinkest thing out there, because most people buy boring black or green, and they all look alike on the carousel. I want to be able to find mine fast, and get the heck out of the airport.
That's exactly what I have. Bright pink. And I love it! I don't have to crowd the drop point of the carousel like everyone else ... I stand toward the back, and when I spot a glimpse of the pink, I meet my bag down at the end where everyone isn't crowded.

Interestingly though ... I had to make a delayed bag claim on my last trip ... My bag was loaded onto my flight, then because of a delay (and concerns of missing my connection) I was switched to a different flight. My bag didn't make the switch and didn't make the connection. When I went to the lost bag office to file the claim, she asked the color of the bag. I told her it was bright pink with grey trim. She replied that she would have to enter red. I guess there's only a few options in the system? Probably black, blue, green, red. Well, if they're looking for a red bag, they probably aren't going to find it. Grrrrrrr.
(The story has a happy ending, as my pink bag showed up at my doorstep the very next day.)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
Anyone who travels with more than one piece of luggage - NOT counting an under-seat size flight bag - is packing way too much.
It doesn't matter if you are going away for a week or a month, one large suitcate will and should be sufficient for the experienced traveller.
I make do with a firm-sided and/or expandable carry-on for most trips, excepting journeys with great variations in weather or social circumstance. Think long cruises or destination weddings to Norway!

If I own a matching pair or set it is purely coincidental as I usually don't carry the matching pieces with me at the same time.
Of course, if your mate carries the smaller matching piece, that would be a sheer coincidence also.
Class has nothing to do with it, IMHO.

Last edited by tjarado; 01-21-2014 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Anyone who travels with more than one piece of luggage - NOT counting an under-seat size flight bag - is packing way too much.
it doesn't matter if you are going away for a week or a month, one large suitcate will and should be sufficient for the experienced traveller.
Sometimes it's necessary for even experienced travelers to carry more than will fit in one suitcase. Especially when traveling for business or with medical equipment (CPAP, breastpump, etc)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Whatever floats your boat.

I just decided for myself if I ever buy a suitcase again, it will be a BRIGHT color. So I can find it on the carousel, when I am exhausted and half asleep after a long flight.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM

I just realized that we probably shouldn't be encouraging others to buy bright colored suitcases. How long before everyone is buying lime green and bright pink???

Please, continue to buy black, blue and green. Especially matching. Outstanding idea! ;-)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM

192 posts, read 403,456 times
I happen to own a set of matching ones, they were a gift from my parents in my early 20s before a big trip and part of what I like about it is that put together grown-up feeling of matching (even now 10+ years later). What I like most though is they are an unusual shade of dark green color and well-constructed so they have lasted well.

If I were to have to buy more, I would probably lean towards a set or at least coordinated again. The most important thing being what the best deal for the money is. However I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a random piece.

BTW, one advantage I have found in having a unusual looking matching set, it makes it much easier for others in your party or even helpful strangers to spot which your other pieces on the carousel. Also the time a bag was lost, I was able to show the airport staffer exactly what color my bag was even though it did not match their chart.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
If the luggage is classy individually then together they will also be classy or elegant, as I say. Matching is a good thing with luggage, IMO.

I agree with this. I admit to being somewhat utilitarian when it comes to luggage. I want to find it when it comes out on the baggage check area, so I opt for brighter colors.

They reasonably match but they are not a set. And yes, they were purchased at TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc. All nice brands. But for me the travel is more important than the baggage.

My dream luggage would be some vintage 1920-30s leather "valises".

Taste wise, one can't be to "matchy" with luggage though. It's not like a living room "set".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty