Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times

Advertisements

There were a ton of changes in the 90s as it transitioned from the wild 80s stuff to the more casual 00s stuff

Some of the colors/fads of the early 90s would look as odd today as some of the 80s ideas - hypercolor shirts, pinchrolled jeans, big & bright colors ......... washed away into grunge and the hippy look ..... eventually morphing into a style that keeps the casual elements but brightens them up a little bit with a bit more individual style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
I miss the baby doll dresses with chunky boots (combat boots, Doc Martens, etc).

Remember the slip dresses worn over baby doll t-shirts? (spaghetti strap cotton jersey dresses).

Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
I remember the Hypercolor t-shirts. Loved those.

When I think about it, my fashion has not changed in a long long time. Jeans and a t-shirt.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I miss the baby doll dresses with chunky boots (combat boots, Doc Martens, etc).

Remember the slip dresses worn over baby doll t-shirts? (spaghetti strap cotton jersey dresses).
Not fashion, but there was that bowl haircut for women that was the rage (a la Demi Moore in Ghost, or the blonde from Wilson Phillips.)

Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Here's what I remember about 90's fashion:

Skids, Zubaz, and Cross Colours. Italy Style and Taxi Studio matching tops and bottoms. Z. Cavaricci pleated pants. Overalls with the one strap hanging down. This one lady who came into the restaurant where I worked was complaining about that last one. "These kids, that looks so stupid. What if I walked around with my one boob hanging out?" LOL.

Jewelry - doorknockers and obnoxiously large hoops. Necklaces with your name in the front. Bolo ties.

You can't really avoid talking about the 90's hair, either. The big huge teased bangs, with the little bit curled under in the front, perm or no perm, with or without the "wings" on the sides. I remember getting leaves caught in my hair on my walk home from school. Some girls had the short haircut that was still sort of teased on the top and then this little "tail" on the side. The Gumby. The mullet. Also, a lot of guys had the haircut that was long on the top and short underneath. Some of the guys permed the top of their hair.

And I had the nerve to make fun of my mother's yearbook pictures. LMAO.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times
I remember it was super cool to wear black bicycle shorts (or just black stretchy shorts) underneath plaid boxers that you bought at The Gap. Later, it was awesome to have your plaid flannel wrapped around your waist, while wearing jeans and Doc Martens. And then of course, there were the Birkenstocks, as another poster mentioned.

I have a totally 90's photo of me wearing jeans, with a flannel wrapped around my waist, wearing another flannel, with a knit beanie on, while postin' up with a just-chillin'-bro pose, but instead of Docs, I had on a snowboard. Yeup - I wore my grunge while snowboarding. (Also, "to post" or "postin' up" were also totally 90's, along with "hangin' on his jock" or something similar, to describe a chick who was really into a boy.)

Super awesome radical fashion, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

Oh yea. The baby doll dresses, sort of like 90's Courtney Love in Hole. I wore a slip dress over a baby doll t-shirt to my homecoming, freshman year in HS - with my green suede Docs, of course.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Yes it's quite odd. Today's fashion is very different from even 1998, but barely distinguishable from say 2003. Only difference I can think of is that tats, blue jeans and piercings have become even more common, teenage girls seem to wear more makeup and you had that emo/scene look going on for a few years that's kinda died out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
At least things kept changing back then. People dress the same in 2014 as they did in 2004. We never had such long stretches of no change before.
I noticed this too. Like if I had to go to an 00s party, what would I wear? I could pull something together for an 80s or 90s party.

One thing I miss about the 90s is the bright colors and ethnic fabrics; kinte cloth and Africa Medallions were popular. I miss that.

I LOVED the babydoll dresses and chunky shoes, too. And when the movie Clueless came out, I started wearing the pleated skirts and knee socks. And I wore the slip dresses with the shirts underneath too; I worked at The Gap and got several of them there with my discount.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
One lingering and unfortunate fashion from the 90's is the low rise women's jeans. Low risers went through passing fads of popularity from the 60's onward, but they gripped the female blue jean industry just as it was rising into high fashion popularity again.
And from then on, girls and women who aren't narrow hipped and very slender have looked good. The country has been exposed to female butt crack and muffin top ever since, along with extra-long tops to cover them up. Viewing a pale, chicken-skinned waist in the middle of winter is never a great look, either.

For some reason, females have forgotten that high waisted jeans make even stocky or overweight girls look very good. The high waist accentuates the waist, not the hips, and makes a girl's butt look good at any weight or body type. And a slightly relaxed fit still looks equally good on the aging female figure.

The over-decorated back pockets, with all their bangles and fancy stitchery only magnify the problem. They only look great on little girls, just as they always have. Back in the day, girl's jeans often had no back pockets; the smooth look always made a lady's posterior more attractive at any age.

The other unfortunate in women's pants is the popularity of the cropped legs, which also began in the 90's. Unless a gal is very tall, very slim, and has very nice ankles, the crops make all others' legs look shorter, and the crops accentuate all the hips and heavy legs that women try so hard to conceal.

I think that the 90's were the beginnings of a great fashion change, when women began dressing more for other women's opinions of what is attractive, and less of what men considered attractive. 'Cute' for gals is not necessarily what men consider cute at any age.
It's all the more ironic now; there are more single females than ever before. It's as if all the single gals have either given up or are too explicitly sexy looking these days.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Where I lived in the 90s (California and Las Vegas) tattoos totally took over by the 90s.
Yes, I lived in San Francisco then and knew many people whose arms were completely tattooed, and some who had facial tattoos and multiple facial piercings, as well as genital piercings. Not my thing, but to each his or her own.

The 90s fashions will never be as revolting to me as the 80s, with the big, permed hair, overalls, and high-waisted jeans.

J.C. Penney 1987 Denim Commercial Is Totally Rad, Ridiculous (VIDEO, POLL)

Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
Early nineties had the most hideous waist lines for women. Rewatch the movie Singles and notice Bridget Fonda's outfits. So bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty