Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times

Advertisements

Honestly, after a few years of experimenting with my wardrobe, I really have to say that I just really like the way I look in this style. Funny thing is, I was too young for the show, and never really had any connection to it at all. Just found a look I like for dressy casual that just makes me feel confident. (Then again I live in SoCal, that look works in the sunbelt much better than the Midwest or northeast).

And its NOT outdated. I just like the way I look in white sport/jacket with a pastel solid colored tshirt, with the sleeves rolled up. Usually with nice jeans, but could also be white slacks. I'm a guy and I like wearing a little more bold colors.

Now, nothing is going to change my mind, but I am wondering what you would think if you saw a guy dressed like that. Do you think it was ever in? Like I said, I think one could pull it off better in the warm climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Eh -- out here a lot of people dress in vintage clothing or retro styles. I would think you are doing that.

If, for instance we dated and that's what you did all the time.... that I might have an issue with.

But since I am married -- that's out of the question.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM

95 posts, read 204,200 times
I think that's a pretty cool look. Especially while dancing to this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1sNImbI2Zw

Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

And its NOT outdated. I just like the way I look in white sport/jacket with a pastel solid colored tshirt, with the sleeves rolled up.
Well, yes, it IS outdated, even if you like it. It is a definitive 80s style. But that's okay, if you are fine with people thinking and telling you that!

Quote:
Now, nothing is going to change my mind, but I am wondering what you would think if you saw a guy dressed like that.
That he was a Miami Vice fan.... or, if it is late October, he is in costume.

Quote:
Do you think it was ever in?
Of course it was "in". That look has very strong ties to that television show and the culture of the 80s.

Scroll down to the FASHION section here...
Miami Vice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Hmm . . . well lets forget I even made any reference to "Miami Vice" at all. It was almost tongue and cheek.

Let try it this way?

What do you think when guys are wearing a combination of white and pastels.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which I'd find a white sport coat and a pastel t-shirt appealing on a guy, and I just can't. I'd have to see examples of how it's styled/accessorized, but I immediately flash to Don Johnson and that's not good.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,062 times
Quote:
Hmm . . . well lets forget I even made any reference to "Miami Vice" at all. It was almost tongue and cheek.

Let try it this way?

What do you think when guys are wearing a combination of white and pastels.
Context?

White/pastels on a guy in NYC in the middle of January probably not going to be a good look.
White/pastels on a guy in Miami or equally balmy Gulf Coast locale in July - then yeah probably a great look

Also, cut of clothing and styling of entire "look" will make a difference on what most will think of the look. Example a white jacket with the sleeves rolled up and chinos with pleated fronts and a pastel colored tee shirt is going to scream (imho) Don Johnson.

However, a great pair of slim fitting khaki trousers with a flat front and a pastel polo shirt = great look maybe toss on a white slim fitted cardigan to prep it up even more.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Only if Don Johnson was wearing it . I had the biggest crush on sonny aka don johnson while miami vice was on the air ...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
I grew up in the 80s and that look was a bit of joke even then. I remember everyone wanting to wear it to the junior high dance, but I don’t remember adults dressing that way.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
Quote:
Honestly, after a few years of experimenting with my wardrobe, I really have to say that I just really like the way I look in this style. Funny thing is, I was too young for the show, and never really had any connection to it at all. Just found a look I like for dressy casual that just makes me feel confident. (Then again I live in SoCal, that look works in the sunbelt much better than the Midwest or northeast).

And its NOT outdated. I just like the way I look in white sport/jacket with a pastel solid colored tshirt, with the sleeves rolled up. Usually with nice jeans, but could also be white slacks. I'm a guy and I like wearing a little more bold colors.

Now, nothing is going to change my mind, but I am wondering what you would think if you saw a guy dressed like that. Do you think it was ever in? Like I said, I think one could pull it off better in the warm climates.

I think if you live in the sunbelt its doable. I lived in Miami so I have seen the look modernized for today. I like this look on the right guy. I think it is the perfect look for someone who is Spanish or Italian....might look goofy on a ginger. I think pastels also look good on blondes. I never liked pink on guys though...stick to pastel blues, greens, even oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty