Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks. My concern isn't about being exactly on trend...I couldn't care less. I just don't want to look 'dated'. Now that I'm aging out of the sort of 'young & fresh' stage I can't help but wonder if I dress dated or if I dress like I'm older than I am.

You are 25 and aging. Hmm hmmm.

You couldn't care less yet you make a whole thread out of it. Hmmm hmmmm.

I would reccommend to throw all your coach bags away just to be on the safe side. Your friends might abandon you if they see you carrying or wearing something that is out of style.

I hope you are single. My husband left me after he saw me wear a last years Victoria Secret nightie. Don't let it come that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,562,200 times
I sold all of my Coach bags several years back. I just didn't feel good about carrying them. And what's the point of carrying something if it doesn't feel right for you anymore? I feel like they are very tradional American style, very conservative. I don't think that translates well as fashion these days is more about extremism and risk-taking than old-fashioned value. Even Vogue has written extensively about this. Playing it too safe is out.

There are plenty of websites that will buy authentic handbags back if you are looking to make some cash towards a new purchase. I got about 25% of what I originally paid for mine, which was worth it as they were just sitting on a shelf in my closet taking up space. I now go on sites like TheRealReal, HauteLook, etc. for vintage true designer pieces in good condition. I purchased a gorgeous Lanvin satchel for $275 and a leather hobo from Chloe for $400. Basically what I would have paid for Coach in the past, except I get superior design by much better names.

And definitely no big logos, yuck. Anyone who knows Lanvin or Chloe will know my bag without it being screamed. And those who don't will look at the quality and beauty of the craftmanship and know what's on my arm certainly didn't come from Target. Or Macy's even. The best part of it is that I didn't pay the original insane prices. I really don't care if they aren't from this season. The pieces I choose are somewhat trendy but yet subdued enough to where they stay perpetually stylish for years, not months. This way I am still playing on that extreme trend as stated above in a milder way that passes on the street. You also have to take into account your age, and I am not 22 like the fashion models so anything too crazy would just look silly on me. Not to mention be a waste of money. I now buy bags the way people lease cars. Something off the lot is a waste. But a couple years old is a good bargain. You ride it, treat it like a gem, and then trade it in for the new model in a few years.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-24-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,089,681 times
I don't mind spending a lot for something quality that will last a long time, but I don't get the appeal of spending 500 bucks on a purse with a logo splashed all over it. Seems like it's more about everyone knowing you can afford an expensive purse than the purse itself. I say buy for your personal preference and for quality, not for the brand it is. Also, I think 25 is a little young to be worried about looking old...

Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
The thing is, there are plenty of Coach and MK bags walking around you don't perceive as such because they have minimal branding. Lots and lots of these bags are like that.

I see a ton of Coach walking around....where I live (well in the nearby areas) there is a lot of logos LV, mostly real. Lots of leather (and minimal branding) Coach bags. And tons and tons of those random "ethnic" bags that come from the Tibetan store.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,711,155 times
The VINTAGE leather Coach bags are still quality. The new crap ---- the ugly material ones with the "C" all over them are just cheap-looking crap.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,255,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The VINTAGE leather Coach bags are still quality. The new crap ---- the ugly material ones with the "C" all over them are just cheap-looking crap.
I agree, but then again she doesn't care about the look or the trends...
I never liked Coach, it always seemed to be the "lame military wife housewife" must-have where I used to live and I really tried to avoid that.

(Note I said where I used to live, and I never said where that was, so no one needs be offended!)

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,977,869 times
I'm not really into purses. I just want it black and cute and medium size.

But I have noticed a lot of women my age with these Michael Kors bags. Now I know they're getting them at like TJ Maxx and Ross because they look like they work in retail and not in the MK store.

I didn't know who he was until I started watching Project Runway but now that he's off all of a sudden Michael Kors is the new "it" style. I see the pursed and women with the watches too. It's a Fossil, overpriced with MK's name inside it.

Dooney and Burke is dated. Remember them from like 10 years ago when they went through the Crayon phase with those childish DB's in scribbles, rainbows and hearts in Crayola Crayon colors?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I agree, but then again she doesn't care about the look or the trends...
I never liked Coach, it always seemed to be the "lame military wife housewife" must-have where I used to live and I really tried to avoid that.

(Note I said where I used to live, and I never said where that was, so no one needs be offended!)

Nope, no reason for Military Housewives to be offended at all....

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 5,829,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Those classic purses with the tanned leather are classic. Wife will only have those. I also got her a dressy MK black with the MK logo only on the latch. She loves it. When it wears out, there is a classic Coach in the closet ready to use.
I happen to have 2 LV monogram briefcases that I use. I like them and don't care what anybody says.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,804 times
I still have my first coach and 3 others - from almost 25 years ago. Today I carry an LV I spent way too much for ($2K) or a Rafe bag. Im considering what will be my next bag - I can take or leave Gucci, Im not a fan of Cole Haan - although the leather is goregous; No to Kate Spade or Kors (some of those are gorgeous too) - im leaning toward Tory Burch - but we will see. Probably an Oryany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty