Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
LOL! That's the truth. I mean, my everyday bag I chose because I wanted it to hold up, I needed a neutral, and I didn't want zippers on it.. oh.. and it had to hold my smallish laptop because I didn't want to carry 2 bags...

I don't much give a crap if someone else likes it or not, and I bought it for 200 bucks, which seems reasonable for a well-constructed purse.
The nice thing about the coach boutique leather bags is that they are still affordable enough to own several. I don't have an everyday bag, I change them out at least a couple of times a week. Also you can't have very summery bags vs wintertime ones.

The last few days I have been wearing this one but not in patent.

Coach Madison Maggie Patent Leather Hobo in Blue (ultramarine) | Lyst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Oh, and I also love Orla Kiely's waxed canvas bags and her leather bags are gorgeous.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I was just realized that my coach bags are starting to look dated. I sware I never see women my age with them anymore. I'm 25. All of the women my age and younger either have grundgey/hipster bags or super high end bags in brands I don't really know well.

I always thought Coach was an old stand by but now they seem dated. Has anyone else noticed that? Coach also isn't doing well financially, I think their stock is down. Am I the only one noticing this? So sad because all of my bags are Coach and I can't afford a new purse right now. I also can't stand poor quality Target bags.
I think someone said it best - the outlets kind of glutted the market.

I think everyone has moved on to Michael Kors as the hot "exclusive" bag designer.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
And definitely no big logos, yuck. Anyone who knows Lanvin or Chloe will know my bag without it being screamed. And those who don't will look at the quality and beauty of the craftmanship and know what's on my arm certainly didn't come from Target. Or Macy's even.
Seriously ... people really go around looking at other people's bags and judging them based on that? I have never looked at someone else's bag and thought, "Oh, look at the beauty of the craftsmanship, that could not have come from Target or even Macy's."

I am just shaking my head. Talk about superficial. (I know this is the fashion & beauty forum, but still!)

Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
What is with the desire to have a designer handbag? What does it do for you that a regular good quality leather one doesn't? You are paying for a "name."

Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM

332 posts, read 498,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnScorpio View Post
Ding, ding, ding. Heavily logo covered bags are just not a good look. Even LV (Though, that is my personally opinion). I have a leather, brown Coach bag that I don't considered "out dated". It's simple, neutral and has only two indications of what brand it is -- A small logo on the front and a tag. However, they're easily hidden.

So I don't think Coach is "out". I think there are a lot of Coach bags you can use everyday in current styles. If you keep them simple fabrics/colors.
Agreed. I don't like any bag with logos all over it. I actually previously didn't mind the LV and Gucci bags with the logo fabric but now I feel that they have been done to death......and all of the fakes have cheapened them.

I still don't have anything against people wanting to spend the kind of money required to buy an expensive handbag such as LV etc. To each their own. I have a black leather Bally that I love and I don't consider it to be a terrible buy because I will keep it forever. The workmanship is brilliant........is it worth what I paid? I highly doubt it. I am aware that you do pay a premium on those brands just for a name, however if I work out what I spent and how long I will have it, it doesn't work out badly.

On the other end of the scale is the cheap handbag which looks and feels cheap. It is a false economy to keep chewing through these when you could get more use out of something better or middle of the range. This is where a decent quality handbag such as a Coach bag (or what a Coach bag was) has a market. They should just go back to making nicer looking bags!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
The Coach outlet here does NOT carry the classic line, only the trendy and monogram series. Wife had a Coach wallet that did not hold up which was a real disappointment. We even sent it back to NYC to be repaired and they returned it unrepaired. Now she uses a Target wallet in the MK purse. LOL

Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
well, men couldn't care less what kind of bag your toting around, we think they are all ridiculous. So at least you've got that going for you, you only have to worry about being judged by fellow females.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
'So sad coach is going out of style' - talk about first world problems.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I'm into my purses but I don't own anything in a logo-ed print. I primarily carry Balenciaga (I have quite a few and rotate sizes and colors as needed), but most people have no clue who makes my bags, nor how much they cost...and I prefer it that way. I just buy what I like.

I think a lot of the new Coach bags are well designed aesthetically...the leather ones. I think they're classic and understated. I can't say I know much about the quality though as I haven't see any in person, only ads.

The problem for Coach is not just their over-saturation of the market, but they've got a lot of competition at that price level now which just didn't exist back in the day. Coach and Dooney & Bourke were the big players unless you were ready to go to a different price point. Now you've got players such as Rebecca Minkoff, Botkier, Hayden-Harnet, Kooba, Tory Burch, Michael Kors and countless others.

I was just joking with my husband while we were at the mall the other day. I felt like the prerequisite to enter the mall was an LV Mono bag of some sorts. It felt as if every other woman was carrying one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty