Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
People who are good-looking often cannot psychologically handle losing their looks. I worked with this guy years ago who was the office heartthrob - ex-jock, All-American quarterback type. Tall, athletic, etc. Well, one day I walked into the office after not having seen him in a while, and I noticed that his fortysomething self had started to get a bit snowy and bald on top. I made a lighthearted comment about it, and this normally affable guy got real angry and nasty. He started attacking me about my weight, and after I got over the shock of it, I told him this:

"The difference between you and me is that I have always been ugly. I was ugly when I was young, and I will be ugly when I am old. I have always been aware of that. You are going bald now, and you can't handle that your looks are fading and you've got nothing else going for you. It's a tough pill for you to swallow. Welcome to the world of the unattractive man. Enjoy yourself."
This scenario could also be taken that you enjoyed and might have been happy to see this guy balding and snowy looking. You may have been jealous of him and now you're happy he is ''aging''. Men can be very jealous as well; most people think it's a woman thing but the envy/jealousy. Did this guy ever say to you ''you're ugly'' in his office heartthrob days? Otherwise, why comment at all about his changing looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This scenario could also be taken that you enjoyed and might have been happy to see this guy balding and snowy looking. You may have been jealous of him and now you're happy he is ''aging''. Men can be very jealous as well; most people think it's a woman thing but the envy/jealousy. Did this guy ever say to you ''you're ugly'' in his office heartthrob days? Otherwise, why comment at all about his changing looks?

Haha, I to doubt there was anything lighthearted about it. Same guy "lightheartedly" comments, left boob getting a little saggy

Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Yes. People age at various rates due to genetics, lifestyle choices (good or bad) unless you're that rarity (Benjamin Button) or simply die young so everyone recalls you at a youthful state.

Since the question is strictly about visual appearance (here we go again) perhaps we should first review the various types of age just for context.
What is considered "young"???

To the question: I've witnessed a variety of physical aging where the visual decline is accelerated. Most of these seem to be more weighted toward poor lifestyle choices / stress / genetic disease.

I always told my young nieces and nephews about my first job as a lesson in lifestyle choices. The lady across the street had a small dog which I would take care of. She was probably chronologically only mid / late 40s at the time and looked 20-25 years older. When I was in the house letting the dog out I noticed the photographs of her and she was a strikingly beautiful woman. Unfortunately, she was a chain smoker and I always suspected the dog (a Yorkie who had a constant sniff/sneezing issue) was being aged just as rapidly as her from the bad lifestyle.

There is a large percent of elderly people where I live and one common thing I notice is, those with interests, family (something to live for) seem to age slower. It seems the rapidness of aging tends to be more acute in people who have less social connections or who obviously have some form of debilitating injury that makes fighting the physical wear more difficult, for example: bad knees / hips or some such things that impacts ability to maintain activity levels.

Facial looks and aging can be interesting. We had a second cousin we'd joke about (parents kept a montage of photos we'd get from friends / family, in a display in our family room) who was a rarity. This male went from childhood to adulthood and bypassed the typical awkward years! He always looked mature (facially). Then you get those kids in junior high who already are mature.

As a late physical maturing male, I joke that puberty lasted 10-15 years! I didn't fill out and look 'mature' until after college. Probably looked my best in my late 30s. As a consolation when I'd lament my lack of physical maturation in youth, my mom would point out that actors like James Stewart and Robert Stack looked their best after age forty .

The most common comparison for people is the typical high school reunion event. I went to my 10th and 20th. There's an old comic strip montage I tried to find on internet to post link to but could not find it. Basically, it showed the trope of how many 'athletes' turn into overweight slobs, the 'beauty queen' looks like a used car with high mileage, the ugly duckling is now a swan, the nerd is now 'hip/dapper', etc...

From my experience that is sometimes the case but seems mostly due to those that physically mature early are already on an early aging progression in relation to the general population and, in particular if they are of the 'party hearty crowd'. The late bloomers almost invariably 'look' better longer since they are on a slower trajectory, especially, if they were of a 'healthy lifestyle' mindset. The other primary visual for women in particular, are those with children, some just don't bounce back well from the birth experience or look like they let themselves go due to variety of variables: no time, genetics, etc...

There a some women from my HS graduation class I have seen occasionally during the summer (less opportunity to glam up) , they have kids, have different body types (petite, athletic, etc) are active, (walking / bicycling etc...) who appear to be aging gracefully. I surmise it is their lifestyle that keeps them looking so well. There's even a 80 plus year old Hungarian woman neighbor who looks fantastic for her age and still moves gracefully too.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Me at 19~

Today 50~
I'd hit it...still.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, on some levels, yes, I was jealous, but not to the point where I harbored a desire to hurt him or see him knocked down a peg. I wasn't happy about him aging or balding - especially since, as I said, my hair is thinning too. It's just that the culture of the locker room I worked in left itself open to all kinds of comments about everyone. It's just the type of stuff jocks say to one another. What I said to him, in my opinion, was really mild.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Haha, I to doubt there was anything lighthearted about it. Same guy "lightheartedly" comments, left boob getting a little saggy
Yeah, sure............

Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Me at 19~

Today 50~
You've still got it!

Very beautiful lady.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 AM

268 posts, read 344,685 times
Quote:
Me at 19~

Today 50~

right on! please come to seattle

Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Yes. I find it amusing. Many of the 'princesses' from high school and their early 20s lose their fast ball after 20 years. I'm amused when those that didn't develop much of a personality try to rely on the same moves as 30 years ago. Funny but sad, you would think they would get a bit smarter with age.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times
Wildcard (an earlier poster) shows that if you take care of yourself you don't have to lose your looks with age. So many people look down at the people who do lose their looks and see it as a form of laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty