Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal
what?

OUR society?? uh, yeah, the world. men choose mates based off looks first, everything else second. in some cultures, marriage is a business (go see indian arranged marriages) but in general, men choose girls based on looks. there is a reason why women are "pretty" and "attract" males. it's not just because that's how it is. it's because there is a purpose behind it.

we are not a sick society. if you do not like being a part of the way biology and mate selection works, you are welcome not to breed and indeed leave this "sick" society. i for one, along with my male friends, appreciate hot sexy women of all ages who appreciate that they are women and know their power of attracting us, instead of cursing at biology and mock men as "dogs." without our insatiable sex drive, this message board wouldn't be here. it has ensured that our species exists past things like the black plague of europe or the spanish flu or the measles brought over to native american land.

one example of really poor aging is brad pitt. that guy LOVES the sun and it shows. same with leo dicaprio but he also loves his pasta which helps add to his bloated/high sodium diet of a face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I was cute back in the day and never had trouble finding a date. I had gotten pregnant and married in my early 20s. I got huge. Honestly I think I was trying to eat for 10. Biggest mistake ever. I spent a lot of my 20s overwhelmed and tired with two young kids. I've really turned things around when I hit 30. I'll be 36 in a couple of months.

I've lost 87 pounds since my pregnancies. I'm 23 pounds away from my high school weight. Losing weight caused me to look young again. People say I look 26 or 28. I'll take it for as long as it lasts. I'm still working on losing more weight, getting toned and getting healthy.

Recently I've had a few men in their 20s show interest. If I was a cougar I guess it would be exciting but they look like a 12yo to me. So I guess for me it went from being attractive, to not so much, to being attractive again. It takes work to keep what you have. You have to take care of yourself inside and out. I don't wear makeup but I'm constantly giving myself facials and such. I'm trying to eat healthier and of course working out 4x a week or more depending on my schedule.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
[quote=I'm Retired Now;33248536]I run into women (and men) all the time that I had not seen in years and in many cases I am shocked. They were once so beautiful or handsome and now they look terrible.

I think it must impact women more than men because our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. YOU SEEM TO BE PART OF THE SICK SOCIETY!! These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal.

quote]

Statements like those make people get plastic surgery and other enhancements. And then they get judged again by people like you because it might not have turned out too well and they look fake.

What do you want? People just shouldn't age?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Hey as far as age goes be glad where you are. As for looks just have another person have a few drinks and the closer they get to tow up the less looks matter. I'm sure at some point we all have seen a beast where we asked how did she have a kid or how did he become a father? So let the fugly find the fugly... Youth is wasted on the youth.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
The question makes me wonder... what is considered a good-looking middle aged person? Or senior? I think this is largely in the eye of the beholder. The same with who we consider attractive in the younger age brackets.

Having said that... in my opinion... yes, I've seen people that in my opinion, hit the wall brutally hard when they hit a certain stage of life. Stress seems to be the most important factor in causing a person to age fast. Substance abuse--mainly nicotine--would be factor #2. Booze would be #3.

What's worse, in my opinion, is when a person changes for the worst personality-wise. I've seen that happen too. Some people become bitter about life, or something else happens with them, and they just go sour overnight. That's a whole other discussion, though.

The best way you can make yourself attractive is to smile. Trite? Maybe... but I find that the older I get, the more this holds true.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
My mother, who at 77 is a naturally beautiful woman who has been gorgeous her whole life, had a stroke about ten years ago, which affected her reasoning ability. She then developed an eating disorder last year related to the stroke/vascular dementia and though she was already trim and fit, she lost another 25 or so pounds over about a year. This sudden, unnecessary weight loss stripped the last bits of fat and plumpness from her skin, which now hangs in wrinkles from her face, neck and arms. The sad thing is - until she lost this weight - which was an unnecessary loss (we've had her evaluated for other illnesses by the way and she has none), she was still a very pretty woman at age 76.

The change was sudden and extreme. It's sad to see.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Two elderly women: one lost her looks but has a very loving and fun personality; the other still has some physical beauty but is very rude and cruel.

Not hard to determine which woman is the most beautiful.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Two elderly women: one lost her looks but has a very loving and fun personality; the other still has some physical beauty but is very rude and cruel.

Not hard to determine which woman is the most beautiful.
Hard to understand at 30 when you are clawing your way up the corporate ladder waiting for that granny to move over

Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Hard to understand at 30 when you are clawing your way up the corporate ladder waiting for that granny to move over
Perhaps. . . but a good Lessons Learned.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
[quote=oh-eve;33250339]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I was a hot girl, but now I'm a middle-aged soccer mom and I look like one. However, I am a fit, well-groomed soccer mom, so although I'm not hot anymore I don't feel too bad about myself since I'm not out of shape. Being fat is the only thing that makes me feel really bad about myself. The wrinkles I can live with. The biggest adjustment has been the way men interact with me - at one time, every man seemed interested in me and being hit on was a constant, and somewhere without my really noticing when it happened that stopped and young men started calling me "ma'am."

How I hate being called "ma'am." It's like "hey old lady whose name I don't know..."[/quote]

I can totally relate to that. I am not a soccer mom, but the rest of it. It hurts when looks start to vanish and the effect on guys as well.
This part is confusing. The "Me Too" movement by women is adamantly against sexual harassment of any kind (so it seems): blatant, minor, subtle, institutional, etc.

Isn't "paying attention and hitting on a woman" sexual harassment? Where does one draw the line? If it is sexual harassment, then why do some women miss it when they are old?

As for me, I prefer to stay in the neutral zone. When I did construction labor in between engineering jobs back in my younger days a lot of those guys would catcall the "hotties" if they got near the site. But I never participated. I stay away from that. But posts like this seem like some aging women actually miss the catcalls of construction workers?

Perhaps I am wrong. I am really unsure on this point. So, I would just be conservative and assume it's more complicated than that (which it probably is).

But aging is coming for everyone. Time takes no prisoners. I noticed some women are able to hold onto their youthful looks longer while others fade quickly. Genetics, lifestyle, and nutrition seem to make a difference on how fast it fades. But it still fades even if it's slower for some and faster for others.

I am middle aged but still have all my hair and its jet-black dark. But athletically I have aged. I have a bad left knee and can't play basketball aggressively like back in the 1990s. I can still run a half marathon but have to take time to recover. I do low-impact cardio workouts. I have also aged in terms of appearance. I do look middle-aged for the most part. I have been told I can pass for a guy in his mid 30s even though I am in my late 40s, but that is still middle-aged to me (LOL).

I do have to point out that back in the 80s I went to an elite college where the men far outnumbered the women. Competition was extreme for them, and some of girls got snobby because of it and would make it clear if a guy was too "low status" given the many other options they had. Those types of women deserve to get old (in my opinion). I wonder how they feel about that now - the vanity of the 80s when they were young and got all the attention on campus which is now gone? It's karma for some of them. To be fair, I know not all women are like that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty