Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 01:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Perhaps she is sick of the entitlement men exhibit about what she should do with her body to please them the most. Or she, you know, just likes dolphins.

And butterflies.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Perhaps she is sick of the entitlement men exhibit about what she should do with her body to please them the most. Or she, you know, just likes dolphins.
Oh no, a beautiful woman has to revolve her life decisions on making the almighty penis happy!

(or maybe she likes birds )

Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
If you love and respect body art you love it whether it's popular or not. What interests and irritates me is that several women I know started getting tats only after they became really popular, and the women were middle aged. They tried pressuring me to get one because it was ok now and cool. My response is if I wanted tattoos, piercings or any other body modification, I would not have lived this many years without having it done. I would not care if it was pop, cool or whatever, if I wanted it I would have gotten it. I'm not going to decide to permanently alter my body because a clique of middle class wine sipping older women gave me permission. Yes, they think they are cooler than no-tatted people. those who do genuinely appreciate the art whether pop or not, know there are those people who do it to think they are edgy and cooler than others.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
I don't have tattoos, but I have never once known a tattooed person who felt any differently about me because I didn't have them. I'm sure it helps that I am not judgmental. Sure, sometimes I think "she's getting that maybe because it's trendy," but I don't get to decide what people do with their bodies. I feel the same about people with piercings, vegetarians, even smokers. What they do with their bodies is no business of mine.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I just don't understand why would anyone get a permanent marking on their body. Do you realize how many times the average person changes their clothing, hair, and overall life styles? With a tattoo, you are forced to look at what you did to yourself for decades.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Makes no difference to me. Tatted or not. I have some tats just can't see them. One of my best tenants is a guy who's tatted up like a yakuza member. Nicest guy in the world. Polite, considerate and easy going.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If you love and respect body art you love it whether it's popular or not. What interests and irritates me is that several women I know started getting tats only after they became really popular, and the women were middle aged. They tried pressuring me to get one because it was ok now and cool. My response is if I wanted tattoos, piercings or any other body modification, I would not have lived this many years without having it done. I would not care if it was pop, cool or whatever, if I wanted it I would have gotten it. I'm not going to decide to permanently alter my body because a clique of middle class wine sipping older women gave me permission. Yes, they think they are cooler than no-tatted people. those who do genuinely appreciate the art whether pop or not, know there are those people who do it to think they are edgy and cooler than others.
That would be irritating! I don't like wine. ;-)

Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I just don't understand why would anyone get a permanent marking on their body. Do you realize how many times the average person changes their clothing, hair, and overall life styles? With a tattoo, you are forced to look at what you did to yourself for decades.
I've been looking at my tattoos for over 20 years now (at least the early ones), and still enjoy seeing them when I do. To be perfectly honest, you kinda forget they even exist after a while - especially if they're in less-visible spots, like the back or ankles. Anyway, there are lots of things people do which cause permanent changes to one's appearance... 'tis life, and only the person wearing the ink/scar/etc should be concerned. Besides, it's pretty much a given that tattoos should be chosen carefully. And if you do choose one you regret later, there's always the option of cover-up work or laser removal. I had a tattoo I didn't like afterwards, and now have it (almost done) covered with a GORGEOUS one instead.

Why do you think this concerns you in any way? If you're unsure about the commitment of a tattoo, or can't think of something you would enjoy forever, don't get one. Simple as that.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM

507 posts, read 513,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Just wondering what some of my fellow C-Ders who have tattoos think of those who don't have them.

Tell us all how many/what type of tattoos you have and whether you discriminate against people because they don't have tattoos.

I'll start:

I have 2 large tattoos. One is on my back (covers about 1/3 of it) and the other is on my right calf... covers one side of it.

I don't mind people who have no tattoos, and I don't make any judgments based on their lack of tattoos.

ETA: No personal attacks, please.
Great topic I have one tattoo of the total of 14 that I would like to get. The one I have is on my left ankle and reads "The Lord is My Shepherd"

Me personally I noticed that people are very judgmental of those who have tattoos but I personally do not mind those with them or without them. Me personally I think tattoos are a natural expression of who you are and gorgeous representation of art

Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
What I think about people sans tattoos is the same as those with... it's their choice. I don't have any & have no desire to get any, because just like jewelry, they don't appeal to me. I never notice people's earrings or rings or tats, unless they're right in front of me... then, I view them non-judgmentally... or more accurately, I'm a disinterested party & don't really scrutinize others' appearances that much, because it's none of my business how they choose to express themselves.

But, I've complimented people on tats or jewelry to be friendly when I see how much they mean to them & their accessories, in whatever way they manifest, obviously make them happy. Nothing wrong in saying, 'Nice ink' to someone with an interesting sleeve & he says it's from Book of Kells with a big smile. I'm glad it means so much to him. A kind word goes a long way & I'm sure when I've caught people checking out my lipstick color or shoes, it's not always because they like them. No worries. I like people who like their choices & quite like that we're not all the same.

So, no tats
And, tats

Happy Weekend, All!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty