Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

It is rude to even suggest a grown adult who doesn't have tattoos get them. It is equivalent to a person telling a tattooed person they should get them lasered off.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Just wondering what some of my fellow C-Ders who have tattoos think of those who don't have them.

My opinion of someone isn't swayed by whether or not they have tattoos.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
My opinion of someone isn't swayed by whether or not they have tattoos.

Nor is mine. I tend to look for more information on which to base an opinion than simply a tattoo. Unless it's a gang emblem or a swastika or something, I'm not gonna use a tattoo alone to form an opinion.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is rude to even suggest a grown adult who doesn't have tattoos get them. It is equivalent to a person telling a tattooed person they should get them lasered off.

It's not rude to suggest it. It's rude to try to pressure someone into it.

If someone asked me if I ever thought of getting my tattoos removed, I would not think that was rude, as long as it wasn't suggested in an unkind manner.

If someone suggested I get a tattoo, I wouldn't be bothered by that either, as long as it wasn't a forceful sort of prodding.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
A professional well educated person will be well served by having tattoos where no one can see them. IF they have an advanced degree it means they have some brains.

Nevertheless, these professionals are just followers of fashion, nothing else. But, they have jobs and the tattoos must remain out of sight.

Tattoos are not about morality.

Tattoos are about creating an un-necessary handicap for the sake of appearing to be cool. But, as I said Tattoos are now in the domain of senior citizens and geeks. Not cool anymore

Last edited by RedZin; 02-02-2014 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Quoted post was deleted.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A professional well educated person will be well served by having tattoos where no one can see them. IF they have an advanced degree it means they have some brains.

Nevertheless, these professionals are just followers of fashion, nothing else. But, they have jobs and the tattoos must remain out of sight.

Tattoos are not about morality.

Tattoos are about creating an un-necessary handicap for the sake of appearing to be cool. But, as I said Tattoos are now in the domain of senior citizens and geeks. Not cool anymore

People can see mine if I let them. I have an advanced degree. I am almost done with a 2nd advance degree. Even if I didn't have an advanced degree, I'd argue that my tattoos don't have a damned thing to do with whatever might be "trendy."

I dunno what you are talking about re: morality. That's strange.

Tattoos are about whatever reason the person who is tattooed got the tattoo in the first place. They are not a handicap unless someone makes them a handicap. Tattooing has been around for centuries. Deciding that they are not "cool anymore" is right up there with deciding that fire isn't cool anymore or wearing clothing isn't cool anymore. Sheeesh.

Man, you apparently have some sort of tattoo "thing." I dunno what it is. If you do not like tattoos, that's cool. Nobody says you have to. If you want to bash people who have tattoos, take it elsewhere.

Good lord, you lurk around tattoo threads. What's up with that? If you don't have tattoos, why do you do that? Do you really want a tattoo, but fear getting one? Did a woman with a tattoo reject you?

You get a bad tattoo? Come on... spill, man.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Nobody has ever been harsh toward me at all because I have tattoos. Other people rarely see them.

I'm married and my husband has no issue with them.
Same. I receive very few comments on mine, one way or another, primarily because they are largely not in view. They're easy to display, but equally easy to choose not to display, and that's intentional. I wanted that versatility. When people do see them, if there's a response, it's typically favorable. I've never had anybody say anything rude in the past ten years since I got my first one. Husband doesn't care one way or another.

Quote:
ETA: Whenever someone leads with "with all due respect" one can be pretty much assured that the commentary will be anything but respectful, man.
Hah, very true.

When I taught behaviorally disordered students, every time I would hear a sentence start with "Not to be rude, but..." I'd cut them off, and remind them that if that's the best way to start the sentence, odds are pretty good IS rude, and to think carefully before proceeding, because saying "Not to be rude, but..." is not a valid disclaimer, and there will still be consequences for what you say.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Same. I receive very few comments on mine, one way or another, primarily because they are largely not in view. They're easy to display, but equally easy to choose not to display, and that's intentional. I wanted that versatility. When people do see them, if there's a response, it's typically favorable. I've never had anybody say anything rude in the past ten years since I got my first one. Husband doesn't care one way or another.

Hah, very true.

When I taught behaviorally disordered students, every time I would hear a sentence start with "Not to be rude, but..." I'd cut them off, and remind them that if that's the best way to start the sentence, odds are pretty good IS rude, and to think carefully before proceeding, because saying "Not to be rude, but..." is not a valid disclaimer, and there will still be consequences for what you say.

Hehehe... funny how that works, isn't it. Every time I think I might say something like "no disrespect" or "not to be rude" I stop and think about the best way to say it, or maybe not to even say it at all.

I have never had anyone say anything unkind regarding my tattoos. I mean, they may look at them and think any number of things, but that's really up to them. As long as they keep it to themselves, I'm totally fine with it.

When I do receive comments on mine, I'm kinda surprised. This tends to happen in summer because I wear shorts most of the time and my calf piece is visible. Any comments I get are favorable, but I don't exactly have tattoos of zombies on my leg or anything... though, with zombies being popular now, I suppose I might get people who'd like those, too.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
People can see mine if I let them. I have an advanced degree. I am almost done with a 2nd advance degree. Even if I didn't have an advanced degree, I'd argue that my tattoos don't have a damned thing to do with whatever might be "trendy."

I dunno what you are talking about re: morality. That's strange.

Tattoos are about whatever reason the person who is tattooed got the tattoo in the first place. They are not a handicap unless someone makes them a handicap. Tattooing has been around for centuries. Deciding that they are not "cool anymore" is right up there with deciding that fire isn't cool anymore or wearing clothing isn't cool anymore. Sheeesh.

Man, you apparently have some sort of tattoo "thing." I dunno what it is. If you do not like tattoos, that's cool. Nobody says you have to. If you want to bash people who have tattoos, take it elsewhere.

Good lord, you lurk around tattoo threads. What's up with that? If you don't have tattoos, why do you do that? Do you really want a tattoo, but fear getting one? Did a woman with a tattoo reject you?

You get a bad tattoo? Come on... spill, man.
I am extra nice with tattoo people. And I have never said anything negative about their tattoos. I make sure I mention the tattoos are cool.

Then I feel a bit sad for the person with the tattoos. I am not certain why i feel sadness, but I do.

Why do you tattoo your body? What were you looking for?

Yeah, I know the tattoos have been around in very early primitive cultures, so it is not new. Obviously some humans yearn to paint their skin and others not so much.

I will say it once again: What i don't get is the fact that the tattoo is permanent. if tattoos were not permanent I would certainly try them.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Don't have them, think I might get something done this year. Always admired really well done tattoos, and I find them especially beautiful when they're colored/shaded nicely and "pop" against the owner's skin.

The only things I really dislike are face and neck tattoos, since they're rarely ever done well and are rarely ever something worth putting on skin. Since I used to live in CA, I used to see that fairly frequently. I also tend to notice really poorly-executed tattoos as well.

Don't care one way or another if people have tattoos or not. Their body, their choice, and I would certainly hope they wouldn't be (too) judgmental were I to rock any artwork on my skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty