Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by north beach person View Post
i've watched this thread and have a theory.

It has to do with the names of the stores: Tarjay vs. Wally world. Tarjay is much classier sounding.

people in target - youtube
lol!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever look around Target and Walmart? They have the same merchandise but IN GENERAL the people and the clothes they wear look completely different.

Shoppers at Target are more attractive and fashionable and Walmart..... I think this website says it all:

Funny Pictures at WalMart People Of Walmart Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart
Target leans more middle class, while Walmart leans more working class and poor. The middle class is the more fashionable class, and the working class and poor are more about subsistence, sometimes by choice. I've noticed an increase of working class customers at Target and think that's probably because it's been around and is wide spread enough now that they've become comfortable with it. Working-class and poorer types tend to be slower to partake in newer trends, while middle-class and upper-middle class tend to be at the forefront. Walmart has been around a lot longer. Also, Walmart serves rural areas while Target doesn't, and rural types often are not fashionable by choice because of their values, even when they have upper-middle class incomes and even when they're rich. I think it's great that Walmart provides a marketplace where more humble people feel comfortable and not out of place. Everybody is welcome at Walmart.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
This was fun to watch, not as a commentary on who does or doesn't shop Target, just for the entertainment factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...-zkpUcQhk#t=80

Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The major differences are superficial--mostly marketing. Prices don't differ much, quality of most merchandise doesn't differ much. Target tends a more to fashionable clothing, Wal-Mart offers much more in the way of ethnic products..
When I was in the market for a new vacuum cleaner I checked the price of the same model at both WM and Target....Target's price was $30 more. So there is a quite a difference in pricing.

Same with food, more expensive for the same product at T.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Target leans more middle class, while Walmart leans more working class and poor. The middle class is the more fashionable class, and the working class and poor are more about subsistence, sometimes by choice. I've noticed an increase of working class customers at Target and think that's probably because it's been around and is wide spread enough now that they've become comfortable with it. Working-class and poorer types tend to be slower to partake in newer trends, while middle-class and upper-middle class tend to be at the forefront. Walmart has been around a lot longer. Also, Walmart serves rural areas while Target doesn't, and rural types often are not fashionable by choice because of their values, even when they have upper-middle class incomes and even when they're rich. I think it's great that Walmart provides a marketplace where more humble people feel comfortable and not out of place. Everybody is welcome at Walmart.
Target has been nationwide for decades longer than Wal-Mart.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
When I was in the market for a new vacuum cleaner I checked the price of the same model at both WM and Target....Target's price was $30 more. So there is a quite a difference in pricing.

Same with food, more expensive for the same product at T.
I've been comparing them directly over the last two weeks and I'll repeat that the prices overall do not differ much.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
I was just at Target this morning and I was thinking about this post. Yes, every woman I saw was very fashionable and look like they shop at better department stores and boutiques. I know I save money by buying sleepwear at Target but I spend the bulk of my clothes budget at department stores for my real clothes. The cosmetics and hair products sections at Target are always great place to find deals and Target has great prices and good deals.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
Wal Mart is ALWAYS crowded when I am there. Wal Mart has shelves and sale bins in the middle of the isles so you have to walk around people stopping constantly. Target feels less cluttered and more organized in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Because walmart is the least classy store on the planet.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Target has been nationwide for decades longer than Wal-Mart.
There is only one Target store in this town. The next closest one is over an hour away! But, there are multiple Walmarts here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty