Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Close to A QUARTER of our citizens in NJ are obese and much more elsewhere. That's really bad news buddies. And among women its mostly uneducated ones who belong to this category. Better educated and Richer women are more likely to be fit in the US. Healthy living here is based upon how much you pay up for proper nutritious food and intensive daily exercise. However, these studies consider BMI alone. Putting into perspective BMI & BFP, it is a different story, and I would like someone to run the national data on this.
Keep in mind that BMI will overstate the problem because it is not a reliable metric. I'm overweight by BMI, yet anyone who looked at me and tried to follow my fitness routine for a week would probably agree that I am far from overweight and in pretty darn good shape. BMI takes hight and weight and spits out an arbitrary number. That is about the most asinine way of coming up with a metric, yet some people seem to swear by it, even though it fails to consider muscle mass, bone density and body fat percentage.

Now the trend you cited about uneducated and lower income people having higher rates of obesity will not change, but BMI will greatly overstate the degree to which the trend exists.

Here is a pretty interesting visual illustration that highlights the absurdity of using BMI:

Illustrated BMI Categories - a set on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Here is a pretty interesting visual illustration that highlights the absurdity of using BMI:

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I'd say a good majority of those are correct. The "overweight" category and when people are super tall or super short are the only ones close to absurd that I saw. Everyone categorized as obese or morbidly obese pretty much looked that way to me, except one very tall male.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Keep in mind that BMI will overstate the problem because it is not a reliable metric. I'm overweight by BMI, yet anyone who looked at me and tried to follow my fitness routine for a week would probably agree that I am far from overweight and in pretty darn good shape. BMI takes hight and weight and spits out an arbitrary number. That is about the most asinine way of coming up with a metric, yet some people seem to swear by it, even though it fails to consider muscle mass, bone density and body fat percentage.

Now the trend you cited about uneducated and lower income people having higher rates of obesity will not change, but BMI will greatly overstate the degree to which the trend exists.

True, which is why I bolded my last line mentioning that other body shape factors must be considered. I am overweight and admit the fact. My bmi is 25.5 on dot.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Many people possess disorders which affords additional poundage. The premise should be love yourself rather you're large or petite. Children a well adults need to first love themselves and strive for better health. Smaller pant size dosn't necessarily equate to a good bill of health.

If the plus size promotes better eating habits, activities, awareness, and anti-bullying(for those that deem it worthy)-I say give the true average (plus size) size woman/girl princess a shot.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I'd say a good majority of those are correct. The "overweight" category and when people are super tall or super short are the only ones close to absurd that I saw. Everyone categorized as obese or morbidly obese pretty much looked that way to me, except one very tall male.
I took the liberty of bolding the key words in your statement. My point is you are basing it off of your impression of how a woman should look at a certain height and weight.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 PM

255 posts, read 407,104 times
I could be completely wrong because I am just going on my own experiences, but I don't think little girls really give much thought to princesses sizes or even Barbies. It's mainly just when someone gets older they notice that the princesses are thin and pretty. I never gave it much thought until I was in High School, and I got an email forward that Barbies proportions were incorrect and no human woman could look like her if she were life sized. I think it's just someone gets older and they wonder if we're giving little kids the wrong idea about the ideal body type because as adults we feel insecure. I could be different though because I do feel insecure about my looks, but it's not from the media. It's because people tell me I am ugly. However, I do know girls and women do compare themselves to celebrities and models in magazines. I don't, but a friend of mine does.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I saw a chick that was "obese" who had arms like sticks... I dunno... I think it really does vary. I do agree with most of the "morbidly obese" ones in that they look to be "obese" and some appear to be "morbidly obese," but I would argue that some who look "underweight" look to be "normal" to me and some who look "normal" look a bit "underweight"... I think that's the point, though... you cannot just LOOK at a person and tell for sure if they're normal, overweight, or underweight, but it's pretty easy to tell that someone is likely to be underweight (at minimum) if they are "very underweight" on the BMI scale and it's a sure bet that someone is at least "obese" if they register as "morbidly obese" on the BMI scale. Other than that, we really just cannot tell on sight.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I could be completely wrong because I am just going on my own experiences, but I don't think little girls really give much thought to princesses sizes or even Barbies. It's mainly just when someone gets older they notice that the princesses are thin and pretty. I never gave it much thought until I was in High School, and I got an email forward that Barbies proportions were incorrect and no human woman could look like her if she were life sized. I think it's just someone gets older and they wonder if we're giving little kids the wrong idea about the ideal body type because as adults we feel insecure. I could be different though because I do feel insecure about my looks, but it's not from the media. It's because people tell me I am ugly. However, I do know girls and women do compare themselves to celebrities and models in magazines. I don't, but a friend of mine does.
Wow, that's effing brutal. How do you respond to that?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I definitely noticed princesses didn't look much like me. Neither did any other characters in the books and toys and etc available. When your "looks" are considered non mainstream, you get the impression that you are not normal. Inclusiveness is important ...even in kids toys.

There is a great Ted talk indirectly related to this!

http://new.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_...a_single_story

Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Ummm ... Dora the Explorer is "plus size." So is Meg Griffin from "Family Guy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty