Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM

214 posts, read 230,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
You can't change your body-shape LMAO. That's been proven. You can "enhance" and take the "notice" off parts you want to, but you can't change the way you distribute weight, as well as your body type at all. I know a lot of girls that try to do this, and fail horribly. If you're an inverted triangle, play down the parts you dislike about the shape, and play up your "assets", the same for any other body type. I'm an hour-glass, but when I gain weight, I start veering toward pear shape, I could never become a banana or a ruler by just trying to throw on a waist cincher or corset and wrap something around my hips and legs to "contain" the fat lmao. It's called losing weight, working out, eating better, and accepting yourself the way you were made. I used to hate my body shape, because I was bigger than my mom and my sisters--my mom was a size 0 and shaped like a ruler but very lean and fit, so was my youngest sister, and my other sister was very thin and shaped similar to an inverted triangle--I was curvy and an hour glass. I always wanted to look like my mom and tried to, by trying different things and it never happened....

I feel sorry for women that try to be an hour glass or a "pear" by wearing a corset, it just ain't gonna happen. Plus it looks painful.

Wrong.

You CAN change your body shape and you CAN change the way your weight is distributed.

Duh.

Otherwise, why would people workout at all? A classic example of changing your body shape is to take inches off of your gut through cardio & aerobic exercise, and then bulk up your pectorals (chest) and shoulder/upper arm area with resistance training (weight training.) This is done every day in thousands of gyms across the country.

Have you never seen a before and after picture of people who begin an exercise regime? Good Lord, just Google it and see thousands of pics. There are dozens of them in the gym I go to (and used to work at as a personal trainer) which we call the Wall of Fame. Men and women who have lost weight and bulked-up or toned-up and have cut their body fat content in half and gained muscle mass.

I find it hard to believe you don't know this. Or, perhaps you were referring to the three physiological body types that people were once thought to have been stuck with since they were born with them. They are: ectomorph; mesomorph; and endomorph. But its been known and proven for years now that you are not locked into that and can indeed alter your body type with diet and exercise.

Now for the bad news: the corset pictured in the OP is bogus. The only way a woman could lose even a little bit of girth from her mid-section wearing it is through sweating while wearing it during cardio exercise. But than it would only be water weight she was losing, thus it would return immediately after she re-hydrated.
Some things never change: the only way to sculpt your body into the shape you want is through diet and exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
Some things never change: the only way to sculpt your body into the shape you want is through diet and exercise.
Right. What this comes down to is what is meant by the term "work" when the OP asks whether waist cinchers work. Some people posting here have insisted that waist cinchers are effective in changing your appearance. I wouldn't know about that from observation, but even if that is possible, it changes the body's shape just by pushing fat, and possibly other tissue, into new places. It does nothing to reduce excess fat. So if we're thinking in terms of fitness and health, not just looks, then no, waist cinchers do not work.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
Wrong.

You CAN change your body shape and you CAN change the way your weight is distributed.

No you can't. You can do some things that change things a little bit, but working out is going to reflect your underlying shape, and perhaps make it smaller.

If you are a person who gains lower body muscles easier than upper body, it is going to stay they same. If you are a "pear" you'll be a smaller pear if you lose weight (you might add some upper body width if you build up your shoulders). If you have broad shoulders and narrow hips, that'll stay the same.

There are apple shaped women out there who think hitting the gym is going to change their shape into Nicki Minaj....not gonna happen if you don't distribute your weight that way.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
As some said above, they change how your weight is distributed but you can not "spot reduce. " Females stopped wearing corsets and girdles and, surprise, back problems have skyrocketed the last few decades. I'd love to see studies on this, but who's gonna fund it? Nowadays we slouch and most do not engage our abs in standing, walking, etc. Corsets help you do this.

In short, yes, they will reduce your waist measurement. I'm living proof.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
I don't know how many posters remember this, but in the 50s and 60s wearing a girdle was common, even for stick thin women. There were also things called "long line bras" which had a corset type portion attached to a bra. The late 60s bra burning "freedom" movement made the girdle a rarity, but I see the corset as similar to the girdles and long line bras of the past. Interestingly, during that time high heels, false eyelashes, curlers, makeup, etc. were also discarded by feminists.

What is old becomes new again.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM

214 posts, read 230,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No you can't. You can do some things that change things a little bit, but working out is going to reflect your underlying shape, and perhaps make it smaller.

If you are a person who gains lower body muscles easier than upper body, it is going to stay they same. If you are a "pear" you'll be a smaller pear if you lose weight (you might add some upper body width if you build up your shoulders). If you have broad shoulders and narrow hips, that'll stay the same.

There are apple shaped women out there who think hitting the gym is going to change their shape into Nicki Minaj....not gonna happen if you don't distribute your weight that way.

Wow--have you ever even worked-out a day in your life?

Because if you have, I find it almost unfathomable to believe you could not have seen people change their body shape thru exercise and nutrition.

I have seen countless people over 20 years of frequenting gyms and also having been a personal trainer, who have "changed" their body shapes. It was an old myth that people were born into three different body types--ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs--and thus were relegated, or "hardwired" by DNA, into being stuck with this shape for life.

Advances in exercise science and nutrition over the past 20 years has nullified this antiquated thinking.

I mean, sure: orthopedically, i.e. "skeletally," we will retain our original frame size and class, but thru exercise and diet we can so enhance and transform out fat-to-muscle distribution so as to effectively change our outer appearance AND shape. "Pears" need not stay "pears" at all but rather can, thru hard work, become trim and even lanky; men can--and often DO-- invert the pyramid shape to get the "V" look.

As I said, as a trainer, I have myself helped dozens of people, men AND women, do this.

[Mod cut: no personal attacks, please!]

I will then conclude by challenging your to simply Google "before and after" pics of people who have done exercise & diet regimes" and see for yourself.

Last edited by elnina; 08-30-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
OP doesn't appear to be participating in the thread anymore, but if he/she happens to check back and see this, I wonder whether he/she would consider asking the moderators to move this thread to the fashion forum. The thread discussion has mostly been about a garment and whether wearing it can change your looks. It doesn't really seem to be about exercise or fitness/health.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Like Chinese foot binding, it works, but at what cost?

Nana Podungge's simple thought: Chinese foot-binding versus European corset wearing

Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
OP doesn't appear to be participating in the thread anymore, but if he/she happens to check back and see this, I wonder whether he/she would consider asking the moderators to move this thread to the fashion forum. The thread discussion has mostly been about a garment and whether wearing it can change your looks. It doesn't really seem to be about exercise or fitness/health.
I believe the OP is referring to the "ab belts" that become popular every now and then. It would fit the fitness category.

The Belly Burner - YouTube

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
So,does the Squeem work?

yes,sort of.

i wore it 2 weeks straight.
my waist got smaller; however, i developed a bulge on the front of my abdomen(similiar to an apron,or tummy pooch.

i left it off 1 week,and the bulge disappeared..but so did the 2-3 inches that came off my waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty