Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

As much as I like certain colors, I won't purchase clothes in them. I love pink but it doesn't do a thing for me. I have auburn hair and find that bronzes, browns, golds, olive greens, and certain shades of orange and yellow compliment me the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 AM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
I vacillate between faded naturals (white, linens, jeans) and my collection of obnoxiously colored dresses. I have a shockingly bright yellow dress that I love to pieces. Things like that :P depends on my mood

Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
As much as I like certain colors, I won't purchase clothes in them. I love pink but it doesn't do a thing for me. I have auburn hair and find that bronzes, browns, golds, olive greens, and certain shades of orange and yellow compliment me the best.
Me too. There's a shade of deep rosy pink that works for me, but typically I wear the same colors you mention. Also, I look awful in most blues but dark teal looks great.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Me too. There's a shade of deep rosy pink that works for me, but typically I wear the same colors you mention. Also, I look awful in most blues but dark teal looks great.
Warm ocean blues are best on me, including highly-pigmented blues. I LOVE icy blue but I would look awful in it. Sometimes I do a "drape test" to check how a color makes me look. Here's an example:

http://platki-kzn.ru/images/stories/4%20-%20%20%20.jpg

It's kind of amazing to see how the gold makes her face look glowy, and as you look more to the right her face takes on a pallor.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Welcome to the Jill Kirsh Color website
This is a "newer" method of choosing colors. She goes primarily by hair color, instead of just skin tone. Her theory is that we can actually wear all colors, as long as you wear the right tone or hue.

I disagree with her; half the colors she chose for my haircolor look horrendous on me, and the ones that look great weren't even an option.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I need saturated colors. Actually, the "dark brunette" colors do generally work pretty well for me (on that Jill Kirsch site). Particularly the woman with basically my skin tone in the pink. That is one of my favorites to wear...but I am warm toned, so I bet her makeup advice is terrible. Corals and oranges work too.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I am surprised after perusing this thread to see there isn't much talk about colors in fashion!

How do you wear colors? When you go shopping, what do you do to figure out if a color will flatter you? I am one of those color season people, but I don't follow it strictly. It gives me a good base to go towards when I look for colors. For example, pastels make me look awful but a rich pine green makes me look healthy.
There are people who give workshops on how to recognize what your colors are. It's fascinating. Some colors cause one's skin tone and hair color to kind of light up. Others make you look washed out. Getting the right colors can be transformational.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I disagree with her; half the colors she chose for my haircolor look horrendous on me, and the ones that look great weren't even an option.
That's why I factor in eye color and skin color. Not everyone can wear the same colors all the time, so it helps to experiment. Even accessories can really make a big difference, such as with a nice necklace color because it's closer to your face.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I like gals wearing navy on cool crisp nights. Just brings out the twilight beauty.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
That's why I factor in eye color and skin color. Not everyone can wear the same colors all the time, so it helps to experiment. Even accessories can really make a big difference, such as with a nice necklace color because it's closer to your face.
Yup!

Not to mention so many women color their hair now, so just going on current hair color isn't really an option, like some seem to think.

Me, now I have a darker skin tone (kinda a mix of reddish and olive base), with dark eyes and black and currently fire engine red hair.

Her test says wear colors that would look horrible with my skin tone, and the red shocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty