Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM

127 posts, read 318,786 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is a Brown male (I believe Bengali) that used to live in Louisiana where he said he felt that he was very limited in terms of his dating options. He isn't a bad looking guy at all, he is tall, muscular, and is considered attractive by most Brown people (hope its okay to call them that) I have talked to. He still had issues finding any success in Louisiana where he said there wasn't much diversity and most White women would not even think about dating anyone that looks foreign.

Around 8 months ago he moved to Seattle, WA where said his life took a completely different turn. He is in a relationship with a woman who is White and very attractive and claims that he has often been told he is attractive by people of different races and backgrounds. Says that he never felt that way once in Louisiana.

I find this interesting since we assume location means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times
yet again....???

Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,923,242 times
Location means a lot.

Take it from me, spent the last 4 years living in Mississippi, which when it comes to the mindset of the people is very similar to Louisiana. "Salt and Pepper" dating, as they call it, is extremely rare here. If it does happen, which is rare enough, it will only happen in the larger cities. Small towns or rural areas have pretty much no interracial dating.

Something else to consider is that styles and appearances are different based on your area of the country. I try not to berate on Mississippi too much, because I live here and have grown fond of it in some ways, but really any kind of trend setting style that starts on the coasts usually either never makes it here, or it will come here 10 years too late, in all honesty.

Accents also have something to do with it, as does your religious affiliation. If you aren't part of a good church, and you "talk funny" it's pretty easy to get shunned out of all the social cliques. Without those two gunning for you it's tough to get into any.

The last thing you would have to take into consideration is that Seattle is a very large and very diverse city, a melting pot of cultures and races and people from all backgrounds. You won't find much of that in the south, and especially not Louisiana. Even New Orleans is nowhere near as diverse as Seattle.

Diversity opens people up to new ways of thinking and living. Unfortunately areas that lack diversity are often very traditionalist and stuck in their old ways.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM

686 posts, read 1,227,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Do you believe that a person's attractiveness can change based on what region of the US they are in?.
Yes. But it depends on which region and who is making the change AND if they change their style to fit in with the locals. You can take a hot gal from the fields of Pennsylvania and put her in Studio City California and she may immediately go from hot (PA) to barely registering a 5 (in Studio City) on the hotness scale. But take a hot Sherman Oaks gal and put her in the fields in PA and she would STILL be HOT. But if you give the PA gal an L.A. makeover and she may register higher on the scale.

Im telling you, what is hot in one part of the country does not mean hot in other parts. I see it ALL THE TIME here in L.A. with gals coming here wanting to break into showbusiness. They were the hot beauty in their home town, but here in L.A. they are just "Meh" and "average", and that is if they are lucky.

It is just how it is here.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,260,998 times
For me personally I have not found that it made a difference. I've lived in different regions(south, Midwest and east coast) and different cities and states and the amount of people that found me attractive remained the same, as was the attention I received. I don't feel like I'm limited physically speaking in any region or state and I'm a black woman. So maybe location us crucial for some and for others it makes no difference. What stands to me though is that no matter the location not everyone will find you attractive, so relocating simply based on the idea that there will be more people in your new state that will find you attractive is really not a good idea to me.

Seeks like this thread is more about whether white women perceive ethnic men differently(attraction-wise) based on the location. If your goal is to attract a white woman as a minority man I suppose I can definitely see how location can play a role.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Well truthfully speaking, White women hold all the cards. By that I mean women of other races in certain areas follow the preferences that White women have. I have often seen cases where Asian women would shun Asian men and go for White men mainly to please their White friends. If a man of any race can do well with White women then he becomes more attractive to women of other races too.

My friend claims that the few Black and Asian women he knew in the well off areas of Louisiana often followed the preferences of their White friends which was typically a tall muscular White male with medium or light features. He (my friend) looks a lot like Mark Sanchez even though he isn't a Latino.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM

175 posts, read 287,027 times
I believe its true. I live in LA. and here i never even get a second look. I go to the east coast alot and even in NYC and PHiladelphia I get alot of stares and smiles. and yes....Im moving to the east coast as quickly as I can get out of LA ; )
I hate it here anyway, no work and all this damn sun.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
I believe its true. I live in LA. and here i never even get a second look. I go to the east coast alot and even in NYC and PHiladelphia I get alot of stares and smiles. and yes....Im moving to the east coast as quickly as I can get out of LA ; )
I hate it here anyway, no work and all this damn sun.
what is your background?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,801,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
I find this interesting since we assume location means nothing.

Never heard that

Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Never heard that
I hear it all the time.

1. The problem is always you and never your location

2. People worldwide are the same

Those two statements above are what I hear all the time. Everyone pretends that Lousiana is just as open minded and accepting as California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty