Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
When it comes to men’s dress shoes, you get what you pay for. It’s rare (to impossible) to get comfort and durability for $100.

It also depends on where you are and what industry you’re in. Investment banking, for example, has all sorts of subtle rules of dress. To the untrained eye, most men’s clothing looks the same. However, if you know what you look for you can spot a $300 tie or a $700 pair of shoes. And if you’re a banker on Wall Street, coworkers will notice.

I’d say $300 for shoes is a minimum to be taken seriously in the upper levels of a major corporation. The standard for an executive is probably closer to $600. If you wear $100 shoes you’ll look like an intern.
^^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Wasn't part of the question, but part of the country and your type of business are factors. So what you have described is mid-management at a bank, in my opinion, U.S. Southeast or East. Pardon if I'm wrong, haven't gone through the thread carefully, but men's dress style described is what I've seen in those locations.

My location and business is Seattle and technology, respectively. Dressing up, even for managers, is frowned upon "informally". In the winter this year I've taken to wearing $7 Wall Mart "Faded Glory" pullover shirts, which are actually gorgeous for what they are: henleys, comfortable, and instantly disposable if that start to look a bit worn. We've got guys pulling down $200K /yr and up wearing Seahawks jerseys and other casual stuff. Well put-together stuff, mind, but not a focus of attention. For an ensemble like that, I have four pair of deceptively-casual brown and black shoes that aren't quite formal wear: Sperry, other brands you'd find at Macy's or equivalent. Few if any are more than $100/pair.

Here, marketing guys turn up the look a notch higher, maybe what you're talking about: wool slacks, shirts, and shoes. No ties.

Point being cost does not always correlate to what is "needed" for the environment, but well-considered *always* matters.

You didn't mention accessories that may complement your choice in footwear. The two men are allowed: a good watch and wedding band. A stylish watch will be noticed by some of your peers, but it's all a personal decision and I can't tell if this fashion statement is on the way in or out. Swanky mechanicals for mid-managers includes Omega, Oris, Longines, and similar. Daring for sophisticated engineering-types includes Graham, Zenith, and even some of Tag Heuer's offerings. Rolex makes fine casual and formal, if you want to go that direction: mine is rather formal and I save it for suit and tie events mostly. Cheap gaudy trash from Tissot and etc. won't do you any favors.

I'm a fan of Bruno Magli and Ethan Allen shoes, OK for mid-management. Neither have done me wrong. Haven't paid more than $200 per pair, and the formal shoes stable is currently two brown and two black. One of the browns are Ethan Allen closeouts for $95 at Nordstrom Rack and are aging better than any of the lot, now at 9 years old and worn I'd say once per week on-average.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
There's an Allen Edmonds store in.... Shoppers World in Natick I believe. In the big mall somewhere. I'd try them on there, then order them online to save a few bucks.

Johnston & Murphy's are nice, but from what I heard the soles have to be replaced more often. Since you're in Boston I'd just get a nice fleece bag to carry them with you and change at the office...that's what I do. I have my ugly Sorel's for my commute and my nice boots in my backpack.

If he's in Boston there is an Allen Edmonds store in the finance district.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, that's on State St. between the State House & Faneuil Hall. There's also a nice Edmonds store on Newbury St., on the corner of Arlington. I like the Copley store better... more choices in style. I agree with everyone... great shoes & all the stores do a great job refurbishing, as well.

Congrats on your bump up the ladder.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM

31 posts, read 48,171 times
Several years ago I bought from Brooks Brothers on Newbury St., Boston a pair of black plain-toe Cordovan Bluchers. Paid $550. I love them. If I were in your position I'd get the black Cordovan perforated captoes for $650.00. You'd be surprised at how many people notice and appreciate fine shoes. I was astonished that people even noticed my shoes and my goodness even complimented me on them which had NEVER happened before. Here's the thing: Buy ONE PAIR of really good shoes. They will benefit you more than three pairs of cheap shoes. Also; consider looking at: Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, Loakes, and John Lobb - all fine British shoemakers.

Last edited by jjf2381; 02-06-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjf2381 View Post
Several years ago I bought from Brooks Brothers on Newbury St., Boston a pair of black plain-toe Cordovan Bluchers. Paid $550. I love them. If I were in your position I'd get the black Cordovan perforated captoes for $650.00. You'd be surprised at how many people notice and appreciate fine shoes. I was astonished that people even noticed my shoes and my goodness even complimented me on them which had NEVER happened before. Here's the thing: Buy ONE PAIR of really good shoes. They will benefit you more than three pairs of cheap shoes. Also; consider looking at: Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, Loakes, and John Lobb - all fine British shoemakers.

Absolutely, JJF... to all the above.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
For a professional male. Conservative but not flashy work environment. Annual income is 115k/yr, household income about twice that. Other people I work with are often in a higher position and salary level. Don’t usually wear a suit but do dress nicely – wool dress slacks, nice button down shirt and tie, well fitting sport jacket.

I of course already have shoes that I’ve been wearing but just moved up the food chain a bit and the shoes I have are worn so I need new ones. What would be your price range?

Not much more than $100. You can find good designer ad name brand shoes at "off price" stores. Try places like Burlington, TJ Max or Marshall's.

OK $200 is the most.

Bad and cheaply made shoes can ruin your appearance. However, very flashy and ultra expensive shoes can do the same.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
If you're making 115 and wear button-down shirts, then Aldens, in Shell Cordovan, are the correct choice. Shell Cordovan is a cut of leather (not a color), although it usually comes in 'Cordovan'. It's low-maintenance, and acquires a nice patina. There's a subtle difference in look. Here's one place that sells Alden: Epaulet New York — Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Longwings Have Returned! That's not the usual color. This is: Alden 96806 Cigar Shell Cordovan Plain Toe | Winn Perry Or this:Alden Shell Cordovan Shoes - Genuine Shell Cordovan | Pelleline.com

Anyway, Aldens are American Made, and as with Oxxford suits, they're regarded as being top quality - VIP Wear. You can pay more, but it's unlikely you'll get more. I'm surprised to see they're all still under a thousand. Our sons wear Aldens, since they're more massive than their father, and the 'All American Look' works on their huge bodies.

Their father, who looks like Gerard Piqué - but with bangs, and a better-developed upper body - needs more of a continental look for his greyhound's physique. DH & sons all share a shoe room, and DH goes for the loafers, the car shoes, the needlepoint slippers from Palm Beach: all with suits, which he wears pretty-much any time he's not naked or at the gym. He has more expensive shoes, but tends to favor Bruno Magli. Mostly, he wears Magli/Mezlan/Alden/John Lobb tassell loafers , because he can kick them off under conference tables, and lose body heat. Mostly, he's in Magli (between four and six hundred, usually) - not sure why he chooses them over the Lobbs & Aldens when he's getting dressed...

And that leads me to suggest Lobb, if you want something extremely traditional, but more svelte than Alden, and visibly more expensive. I think they're under fifteen hundred.

And there's nothing wrong with Allen Edmonds - especially if they're still offering Shell Cordovan.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Thanks. I work in Boston and live in Brookline so am close to it all. I'm at Mass General so not a flashy place at all but the culture in the area I am in is to dress OK so I don't want anything with flash but do want something with quality.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yes, that's on State St. between the State House & Faneuil Hall. There's also a nice Edmonds store on Newbury St., on the corner of Arlington. I like the Copley store better... more choices in style. I agree with everyone... great shoes & all the stores do a great job refurbishing, as well.

Congrats on your bump up the ladder.
Thanks. I'm a short walk away from that location on State St. I'll probably check it out...maybe later today. I was at Copley just a couple of weeks ago...should have posted the question sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty