Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times

Advertisements

It's time for me to ask how to spot if a woman is wearing much makeup. There are many guys like me who can't easily tell. (Some women say it is, but I think that's partly dismissiveness, to discredit anti-makeup views.) I realize that perfect, narrow brows, no skin blemishes, rosy cheeks, elaborate hair, clothing style, etc. are cues. It's not like I believed Mila Kunis was makeup-free recently -Gemfields Ad Supposedly Features Mila Kunis Without Makeup But I'd already seen unattractive bare-faced pictures of her.
Please give specific pointers on what to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's time for me to ask how to spot if a woman is wearing much makeup. There are many guys like me who can't easily tell. (Some women say it is, but I think that's partly dismissiveness, to discredit anti-makeup views.) I realize that perfect, narrow brows, no skin blemishes, rosy cheeks, elaborate hair, clothing style, etc. are cues. It's not like I believed Mila Kunis was makeup-free recently -Gemfields Ad Supposedly Features Mila Kunis Without Makeup But I'd already seen unattractive bare-faced pictures of her.
Please give specific pointers on what to look for.
First, ignore the hair and clothes.

Flawless skin on any female over the age of 12.

Eyelids that appear to have a very defined natural crease and/or shading that differs from the facial skin.

Very neat, even-colored brows.

Lips that look particularly lush. Could have a clear gloss lip plumper on them.

Any sign of outlined eyes or very thick lashes. Ditto very curly lashes. (note: some people come by thick, curly lashes naturally, though)

Those are the biggies. Also consider whether her facial skin tone matches her hands/neck/decollette (cleavage area, in man speak). If not, she's made up.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Smooth, even-toned skin (natural skin tone is usually uneven, with dark circles under the eyes)
Face and neck are not the same color
A healthy glow - usually pinkish or brownish (natural complexions are usually blah)
Very noticeable eyes with eyelashes look dark, long, and thick (natural eyes are usually very blah and fade into the background)
Lip color stands out (natural lips usually are not too much darker than the rest of the skin)

Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
a heavy rain can be pretty cruel to someone with too much,funny too

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
I'm seeing a lot of answers that relate to *any* makeup as opposed to "heavy" makeup. If you don't notice the makeup when you're within a couple of feet of the woman, then it's not heavy.

Here's an article on UK Daily Mail with several photos showing a progression of no makeup to heavy makeup.

Wear make-up and look more competent - but too much and you'll seem dishonest | Mail Online

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
I appreciate the feedback, but I think this is starting to conflate light or normal makeup with heavy makeup. I totally believe some women can get "smooth, even-toned skin" with little or no makeup. I've met women into their late 30's with that. (Redheads seem overrepresented, probably for they learned early to avoid the sun.)

The skin on the chest and at least the lower part of arms is thinner than facial skin, and people notoriously use less sunscreen there than on the face. Therefore, I'll only moderately trust color differences when comparing areas to gauge makeup heaviness. Does color difference usually mean heavy makeup, or could it be light?

I referred to this in the other thread, but one sign of thick makeup I've noticed is bumps without redness. Although I know from experience that that technically could be uncovered cysts.

Another one is the dark-haired porcelain-skinned white woman, stereotypically Goth-like. Almost no one is naturally like that, and I suppose most of those women are dyeing their hair (or wearing wigs) and using heavy makeup.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
When I think of heavy makeup, I think of Kim Kardashian.

One pic is with heavy makeup and one is with "natural makeup". In one, it's completely obvious that she is wearing a lot of makeup. In the other you have to take a closer look to determine if she is wearing makeup or not. She is, but it's just not heavy.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
A bit on Beyonce make-up-free photos linked from the OP:

Beyoncehttp://is an extraordinarily beautif...h, they would.

That, plus I have known a few women who were gorgeous without any make-up at all - as long as you're OK with the natural look. Some women are just naturally gorgeous (alas I am not one of them!)

It'd my experience that if you get within about six feet of someone, you can tell whether they are wearing makeup. Slightly shimmery skin, colored lips, swipes of shadow or eyeliner, clumpy or extraordinarily-long or thick eyelashes, and of course comparing facial skin complexion with neck or chest complexion.

[LEFT]
Read more: Beyonce Without Makeup Pictures Prove The Stars Are Not Just Like Us
[/LEFT]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Re curly eyelashes? That is pretty common although I seem to see it on a lot of men.

Mine are curly. I tried an eyelash curler once and I was puzzled. Then I noticed someone with straight lashes and it made sense!

I think heavy makeup, besides the obvious heavy eye makeup, is really when someone's skin texture either looks too perfect or too thick.

I notice that my skin looks really awesome right after washing my face and moisturizing. I reclaim my 20-something glow. Particularly with some rosebud salve on my lips. All dewy and natural. Give it an hour and it suddenly it doesn't look so great. :P

Plucked brows, if you are lucky to start with thick ones, can look great without any brow makeup.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,620 times
Here are a few ways:

1. If there is a noticeable demarcation of skin color difference on the jaw line. Sometimes it's because women wear the wrong color foundation, but cake it on enough and you'll be able to see it.
2. If her eyelashes look like spider legs.
3. When you're outside and she's in natural sunlight (which is the BEST give away), her face looks sorta washed out. The same thing happens with pictures, too.
4. Pores struggle to breathe and they get large.
5. There's a streak of blush and it's obvious people don't have naturally bubblegum colored cheeks.
6. When a woman makes facial expressions, there's a certain "cakeyness" look to her face.
7. Heavy lipstick application can make a woman's lips appear to protrude more, were it almost looks muppetish.
8. In the summer, it starts to slide off. Literally!!
9. In the winter, it starts to "crack" from dryness.
10. The best give away is if her makeup still lasts at 8 pm when she applied it at 7 am, went to work for 8 hours, and then out with her friends after and it's still the same. Makeup isn't supposed to be that long-lasting, which is why heavy makeup wearers cake it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty