Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I know one thing - I'd find her repulsive no matter how attractive. Staring lovingly at ones food and eating it little by little off of a fork is beyond disgusting.

Constantly asking for help and assistance is also a turn off. Never offering anything in return and acting as though they are owed this? NO.

I have noticed this particular cluster of traits more in the morbidly obese than any other.

Do look up "oral aggressive".
"Oral aggressive" refers to a stage/phase in Freud's Psychosexual analysis. I did a cursory review a couple days ago and it by no means is limited to obese women such as those you've described. In fact, I'm not even certain your description aligns with the behavioral traits described in the "Oral Aggressive" phase of the psychosexual development. With that said, I will give you the benefit of the doubt because my I haven't researched Freud so much as read some descriptions of what this phase of the development includes.

However what it does NOT include is a limitation to obese women. And I'll repeat what I and a couple others have already said, you are linking your dislike for these women's appearances to your dislike for their behavior. You are relating physical traits to behavioral traits, which is a flawed way of looking at things.

I promise you there are people who you would probably find smoking hot who behave exactly the way as these two women do. Their behavior has nothing to do with their appearance. The link exists in your mind and in your mind only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times
Reading over all of these posts, I find one thing to be a bit sickening.

Many people discriminate against fat people because they say that being fat is unhealthy. I would debate that with anyone but let's take it at its face value for right now and say that being fat is unhealthy.

To all of you who would refuse to date a fat person or who would be repulsed by a fat person due to that person "being unhealthy":

-Would you date someone who consumes more than two alcoholic drinks in any 24-hour period?
-Would you date someone who smokes anything, ever?
-Would you date someone who eats undercooked meat or eggs?
-Would you date someone who is constantly under heavy stress?

All of the above are unhealthy conditions but they don't seem to get the same press time as obesity when it comes to what is, and is not, repulsive. I've known people who won't date fat people because they're unhealthy but then they will date smokers, binge drinkers, etc... as long as they're thin, of course. I think it's just a cover-up, myself.

Let's face the facts. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. 22 years after the song appeared, we still love rapping to, and dancing to, "Baby Got Back" at any party. And then, we look with scorn upon people who become "too thin". The hypocrisy and contradiction inherent in this situation is beyond ridiculous. I entertain for elderly people regularly and it ain't the thin ones who live to be 100+. It ain't the obese ones either, but it is the ones who have a moderate amount of meat on their bones. So don't talk about health unless you have empirical evidence to back up your statements. I've always been "overweight" according to doctors' medical charts (and I'm not "buff" either... a good bit of it is pork) but I can run rings around most people of "healthy weight". I like keeping my reserve fuel because one never knows when it'll be necessary. It kept me out of the hospital once (a long sickness caused me to lose ~15% of my body weight, and it's therefore good that I had an extra ~15% hanging around) and who knows if it ever will again.

If you aren't attracted to fat people, whatever. But at least say so. Don't chicken out by talking about how unhealthy it is unless you also refuse to date any other type of person who has any kind of persistent unhealthy condition, habit, or indulgence, regardless of that person's physical appearance or size.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM

254 posts, read 318,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Reading over all of these posts, I find one thing to be a bit sickening.

Many people discriminate against fat people because they say that being fat is unhealthy. I would debate that with anyone but let's take it at its face value for right now and say that being fat is unhealthy.

To all of you who would refuse to date a fat person or who would be repulsed by a fat person due to that person "being unhealthy":

-Would you date someone who consumes more than two alcoholic drinks in any 24-hour period?
-Would you date someone who smokes anything, ever?
-Would you date someone who eats undercooked meat or eggs?
-Would you date someone who is constantly under heavy stress?

All of the above are unhealthy conditions but they don't seem to get the same press time as obesity when it comes to what is, and is not, repulsive. I've known people who won't date fat people because they're unhealthy but then they will date smokers, binge drinkers, etc... as long as they're thin, of course. I think it's just a cover-up, myself.
Actually, this thread is about 30 pages long. Obesity and overweight women have more zealous supporters pushing for their celebration and "acceptance" as people worthy of romantic love than what people are willing to admit.

I find it interesting that people get so zealous in their defense and apology for "fat" people in the USA and UK and seem to be the same ones all zealous in their support for pro-gay this and pro-LGBT this and that. I find it interesting because the media and interest groups using the media have pushed and promoted the pro-fat or big beautiful woman and pro-gay thing. Coincidental people are zealous over what the media telling them they should think and indoctrinate others to believe? Coincidental?

I don't see any of these people spontaneously coming to the "enlightenment" so-called "junkies" are awesome people worthy of romantic love. Coincidental they are not supporting that but rather bigoted against the same things the media says people should be bigoted against? Coincidental?

I think not.

And no... not to many Americans are out campaigning with television ads glamorizing the crack smokers or meth smoker as sexy and attractive. But I'm willing to be the media could make people believe that if those behind the media (interest groups) wanted to. Then the same zealous people supporting terribly (not a little) overweight women in the USA and UK would be out like mad dogs all zealous over defending the female meth addict as a hard working, beautiful woman, demonized by stereotypes. Et cetera.

I heard some medical professionals on TV once say that obesity is now such a huge problem in the United States that if the U.S. Government paid for all the health related effects of obesity, the whole U.S. economy would go bankrupt.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
Actually, this thread is about 30 pages long. Obesity and overweight women have more zealous supporters pushing for their celebration and "acceptance" as people worthy of romantic love than what people are willing to admit.
That's a bit of a jump, really. Most of us who are "zealous supporters" of overweight women are just pushing for people to treat them with a little more respect than they currently get. Overweight people are one of the few classes of people against whom it is socially acceptable to discriminate, mock, etc. Nobody is pushing anyone else into dating overweight people. If you are not attracted, why force anything? But whether you realize it or not, there is a very aggressive tilt against overweight people in our society and mainstream society very much turns a blind eye toward it.

Quote:
I find it interesting that people get so zealous in their defense and apology for "fat" people in the USA and UK and seem to be the same ones all zealous in their support for pro-gay this and pro-LGBT this and that. I find it interesting because the media and interest groups using the media have pushed and promoted the pro-fat or big beautiful woman and pro-gay thing. Coincidental people are zealous over what the media telling them they should think and indoctrinate others to believe? Coincidental?
I think this is another jump you are making. The link between overweight people and LGBT groups is something you seem to be fabricating in your own mind. One group enjoys strong protection from the court of public opinion and the other seems at odds with it. If you say something the public doesn't like about homosexuals, the public outcry is loud. Just look at Phil Robertson's GQ interview. All he did was voice his opinion, but his opinion toward homosexuals did not sit well with the public. Do you think for a minute if Phil would have said, "I see no reason why a man should be attracted to a fat woman" the public outcry would have been a fraction of what it was? This media support you are speaking of, where the hell is it? If there is widespread mainstream media support for overweight people, I am missing it.

Quote:
I don't see any of these people spontaneously coming to the "enlightenment" so-called "junkies" are awesome people worthy of romantic love. Coincidental they are not supporting that but rather bigoted against the same things the media says people should be bigoted against? Coincidental?

I think not.
People support their various issues and causes for a reason. You can't die on every hill, though. There are plenty of people out there whose cause is the healing and rehabilitation (or even the condoning of) drug users and junkies. I don't see you jumping their case for not jumping in to support us in our support of overweight people.

Support and passion for one topic does not mean a lack of concern in another. You are making one majorly wrong assumption with the bolded part of your statement. That is, you are assuming bigotry, which is quite a jump to make. You have no grounds for this assertion, it really just seems like a reality you wished existed so you could fuel your criticisms. It's really not a logical progression of thought.

Quote:
And no... not to many Americans are out campaigning with television ads glamorizing the crack smokers or meth smoker as sexy and attractive. But I'm willing to be the media could make people believe that if those behind the media (interest groups) wanted to. Then the same zealous people supporting terribly (not a little) overweight women in the USA and UK would be out like mad dogs all zealous over defending the female meth addict as a hard working, beautiful woman, demonized by stereotypes. Et cetera.
Once again, you're assuming that because one supports cause A they will support cause B. Some will, no doubt. But a lot of people are discussing this topic because it matters to them. Not everyone is a media lap dog. The most ironic thing about you accusing some of being that is in doing so you are probably just as close or closer to it than they are. You should never assume you know why someone says what they are saying, or believes in what they believe. It is a matter of values and conviction for a lot of us and if you are going to write that off as "media influence" you are not giving due credence to the subject matter, and probably not qualified to discuss it.

Quote:
I heard some medical professionals on TV once say that obesity is now such a huge problem in the United States that if the U.S. Government paid for all the health related effects of obesity, the whole U.S. economy would go bankrupt.
And this is exactly why government should not be in the healthcare business to begin with.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
I typed in images of a crack head and this is what came up: crackhead - Yahoo Image Search Results

Versus this for plus size women:
plus size women - Yahoo Image Search Results

And this for homosexual: Homosexual - Yahoo Image Search Results

Interesting... Seems like the drug users are depicted very negatively, in comparison to the other groups.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
I respect people no matter their size. Whether I find them attractive or not is another matter. It is up to me to choose who I would date or not. Obese people are not attractive to me, and I am the one who gets to decide. If that means I am ruling out a substantial number of the population, then, so be it.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,208 times
Quote:
I can help with that one thing, go to your page settings and change how your pages load in the settings and you can at least reduce the size of the pages, won't be able to shrink size of the women but the number of pages will thin out significantly.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,227,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

If you aren't attracted to fat people, whatever. But at least say so. Don't chicken out by talking about how unhealthy it is unless you also refuse to date any other type of person who has any kind of persistent unhealthy condition, habit, or indulgence, regardless of that person's physical appearance or size.
I'm not attracted to fat women, not afraid to admit it. Some women find me too stocky, that's okay. You can't please everyone. But yeah, most fat people bring along health problems as they age, let's not kid ourselves. Most fat people can get away with fat related health problems until their 40's, and that's when I say it can start catching up to people.

I've always worked out since high school, and if it wasn't for doing weights and cardio, I'd probably have died in my thirties for being fat/obese. Not ashamed to say it. Hell, back when I was in elementary I had a family doctor tell me I'd have to take high blood pressure pills if I didn't change my diet and drop some weight. This was when I was not even a teenager! Just last year my family doctor told me my blood sugar was on the high side, to keep it in check otherwise I'd have to take pills.

So for all you younger fat people, don't listen to these older fat people. Don't let them drag you down. Change your diet, do some exercise, otherwise you will have to take meds when you reach my age if you do not make an effort to change.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'm not attracted to fat women, not afraid to admit it. Some women find me too stocky, that's okay. You can't please everyone. But yeah, most fat people bring along health problems as they age, let's not kid ourselves. Most fat people can get away with fat related health problems until their 40's, and that's when I say it can start catching up to people.

I've always worked out since high school, and if it wasn't for doing weights and cardio, I'd probably have died in my thirties for being fat/obese. Not ashamed to say it. Hell, back when I was in elementary I had a family doctor tell me I'd have to take high blood pressure pills if I didn't change my diet and drop some weight. This was when I was not even a teenager! Just last year my family doctor told me my blood sugar was on the high side, to keep it in check otherwise I'd have to take pills.

So for all you younger fat people, don't listen to these older fat people. Don't let them drag you down. Change your diet, do some exercise, otherwise you will have to take meds when you reach my age if you do not make an effort to change.
Tell us who is telling people not to exercise and make efforts toward a healthy lifestyle, that would be unwise, I've yet to see anyone make that comment. I hope they are doing everything they can to attain optimum health and if that means reducing in poundage, that too, but, in the mean time, I am for them not hating on themselves for not meeting fictitious standards placed upon them either. Nice you've always worked. So did I, had always been very active all through out my young and adult life. And as I mentioned made mistakes and poor choices along the way but have since taken and I'm sure initiatives to make changes to improve health and my doctors and I are pleased with those efforts.

Anyone stating that accepting an expanding waistline into oblivion, not caring about health would be a fool, that isn't the point that most people are aiming for, I haven't seen that, not sure, why it appears some are getting some alternate message.

Another thing, I'm not sure who is faulting you guys for not having an attraction to fat women, no need to be afraid of admitting that, I doubt many here care. Angry people bring along many health issues too, people always harping on others peoples short comings and the like, tend toward, all kind of ailments. Stress is a killer.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:01 PM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
This thread has been an amusing read, but I had to chime in on this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Most fat people can get away with fat related health problems until their 40's, and that's when I say it can start catching up to people.
No words can be more true. I'm in my mid 20's but my dad is in his late 40's and some of his prior habits have caught up with him, on top of a major scare last year. In the past he did not think that his weight and eating habits were a big deal. Sometimes he would think that I was overly worried about my health. Now his tune has changed dramatically from the past. He constantly tells me to watch what I eat and take care of my weight or I'll end up like him and that it 'catches up with you in your 40's'. He eats much better and puts me to shame in many respects. He's lost 40lbs+ and goes to the gym 3-4 times a weak, and this is after heart surgery. Me, I've gained 10lbs in the last year and gave my gym free money for most of the year. He's even getting close to my size now, which puts the pressure on me more. It has been very motivational. Life has a way of changing peoples viewpoint once things that they ignored, have caught up with them and have real consequences.

I have about 50-60lbs to loose. I understand the whole process of loosing weight and how it can affect your physic when people make fun of your weight, and I'm a guy. My weight has fluctuated through out my life and from 9-16 I was chubby and begin gaining weight In a bad way from 20 till my now current age of 25. When I was 15 I weight 195lbs and my brothers used to make fun of me for being fat and I did not enjoy it. Others may have to but I remember it coming from them the most. Plus, I knew it also and did not like my body appearance. So over the summer break from school I lost 35lbs through exercise and dieting. My weight stayed around the 170-180lb range throughout high school. This improved my self esteem tremendously and the trend reversed for one of my brothers as I had become more fit than him and he gained extra weight. Now he was trying to catch up with me. So in my case a little 'shaming' worked for me.

I know some poster mentioned that BMI calculators are inaccurate. To some degree this can be true if you use the ones that only ask for weight and height measurements, but the ones that ask for the height, waist and neck circumference are far more accurate and realistic, so it's still a good overall measurement for most of the population. I'm 6'2" and I would consider 188-190lbs to be my ideal weight. When I weighted 188lbs I had started to get an 'upper' six pack and didn't look underweight. If I used just a height and weight bmi calculator, it puts my bmi at 24.4% which would be completely wrong based on my experience for me, but it's still in the healthy range. If I plug the same numbers in using height, waist and neck measurements it takes it down to 13.3% which would be the more realistic percentage based on my experience. But at my current weight and body measurements I am on the light side of obese according to both bmi calculators. Should I ignore this, because it can sometimes be inaccurate? Only if I live in my own universe it's pretty accurate in saying that I have entered an unhealthy weight range which should conern me.

I've been told several times that I've gain quite a bit of weight and I have, up to a high of 262lbs. Sometimes in the nice form of 'hey, you should consider loosing some weight'. This didn't make me feel as if the world was against me. Some people say I look fine for my height and are surprised when I tell them how much I weight. Truthfully I appreciate they ones who show a little 'concern' more than those who tell me that my weight isn't an issue. I'm not mad if a woman would feel that I'm to big for them. There are enough that are perfectly fine with my visual appearance or size. Still this does not mean I'm not aware that I'm at a unhealthy weight and I need to loose some, which I'm working on. My personal clothing options have been diminishing as I've gained weight. I'm not ready to admit defeat so I haven't bought new clothes. Also I would be nice to not be out of breathe so much, I have a noticeable lack of energy than I did in the past. I've gained 90lbs over about 8 years. That's the equivalent of carrying a 9-10 year child on my back all the time.

Most men/women don't know your exact weight or clothing size but if your visual size or shape is not appealing to them then that's their prerogative as long as they don't go on a tirade about it. Truthfully most of us keep our opinions to ourselves and rightfully so. At the same time that doesn't mean that as a society we should accept being overweight as perfectly okay. This does not mean treating people who are overweight/obese as second class citizens but it doesn't mean that people should have to 'tip toe' around calling people out for unhealthy life styles. Very few people are overweight due to health issue beyond their control v those who make bad health choices which then spiral into other health related issues as the age. In some cases the health problems that being overweight create prevent many from losing the weight that the need to. I think this fact gets largely ignored.

I think men in general would ideally prefer a slim/fit woman, and some really do like bigger women. In reality most of us have a range that we find acceptable from slim to slightly plump. You have people on the internet projecting a narrow range of women that they find acceptable but in the real world it just isn't so. I think looks initially attract, but personality trumps in the end regardless of size as long as it's in the range you feel comfortable with. That's why we see many people who we would visually say don't seem to match together.

Sorta anti topic but plus size girls will shame 'skinny girls' about their weight too. My sister had a girl to tell here that she was getting to skinny. It bothered here enough that she called me and asked my opinion since I'm a guy. My sister is what the general population would consider in shape and curvy. Thee person in question is on what I would consider borderline fat and no longer curvy. The thing is my sister is around 5'7 and 155-160lbs and don't think that's on the skinny side of things for a woman. In my opinion the girl was just jealous of here figure. In truth, I think that women put more pressure on each other regarding weight and size more then men sometimes and they form their opinion on what other women say men find acceptable. I couldn't tell you what a size 8,12, or 16 looks like but I could tell you if I thought someone had a nice body. But its my opinion only, so please don't shame me for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty