U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
No it isn't

Times evolve and things change.

As the reason for a convention is removed, why would we carry on that convention?

How many people who wear hats make a habit of tipping their hats? That's the proper etiquette.

You can keep your hat on in a public elevator - unless there is a woman present, then you should take it off.

Unless you are a women, then these rules really don't apply to you at all anyway so carry on as you were

It's silly and trite and without purpose

Yes, some things do. Most things concerning class don't. I don't see many gentlemen wearing hats at all, that is fashion, but I do see the few that do so tip them where appropriate.

I already explained theories as to where the custom originated.

But hey, go your own way. I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM

8,938 posts, read 15,865,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am female
Then hat eitquette really isn't a big impact to your life, unless hats aren't being tipped in your direction as much as they should

Do you have a problem with people not following convention and tipping their hat towards you or in some instances even wearing them in your presence?

Are you alarmed that people aren't standing up everytime you enter or exit a room?

Do you get angry when walking on a public street that a guy you are with doesn't stand on the curb side at all times?

How about when sharing the back seating arrangement of a car with a man - if he takes the seat to your right do you get offended at the implication that has on you?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM

12,699 posts, read 12,101,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No

Yes

Yes, in that context

Yes, in most contexts

Most days, not every
We are talking about etiquette, not fashion, fads, or uniform/appropriate attire for the occasion. I could state top hats are an etiquette item, and our presidents violate this etiquette, but fact is the top hat thing was just fashion.

A framer at a construction site is not wearing a suit, are they now considered impolite? No of course not, because wearing a suit is not an subject of etiquette.

Etiquette with purpose - taking off shoes when entering someone's home. You would not take your shoes off when entering an office for a job interview, would you? Taking off shoes prevents a person from tracking dirt all over someone's floor. As seen in the thread in the world forum, not everyone does this, yet there is an actual impact this etiquette has. I wonder how many people who do not take off shoes think a person should remove their hat.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
But hey, go your own way. I don't care.
You obviously do care about what others do or else you wouldn't be on the internet, taking up time complaining about something so trivial as to how and where a complete stanger wears their hat

Old 02-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Etiquette with purpose - taking off shoes when entering someone's home. You would not take your shoes off when entering an office for a job interview, would you? Taking off shoes prevents a person from tracking dirt all over someone's floor. As seen in the thread in the world forum, not everyone does this, yet there is an actual impact this etiquette has. I wonder how many people who do not take off shoes think a person should remove their hat.

No, not in this country. I wouldn't entering their home either, unless I saw others doing so or was asked to. That isn't an etiquette issue in our country. Or at least not in the regions I've lived in.

Hats is.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You obviously do care about what others do or else you wouldn't be on the internet, taking up time complaining about something so trivial as to how and where a complete stanger wears their hat

Where did I complain? Please tell me. You asked where the custom came from. I provided answers. You're welcome.

You can do what you want.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,942,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is called etiquette.
Yeppers

Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Where did I complain? Please tell me. You asked where the custom came from. I provided answers. You're welcome.

You can do what you want.
Apologies.

You came in later and I lumped you in with those complaining, the posters to whom I asked that question.

Sorry for any misunderstanding of your position or possible offense.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM

No worries.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,457,719 times
Many of you guys aren't ready for hat ownership. If you have one you should turn it in to the Hat Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty